Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

acceleration SHUDDER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will come back and out of warranty you are on your own....just beware
This should not be the case. The acceleration shudder on Model X is well known and there is a TSB on the issue: Tesla Has New Service Bulletin On Model S/X Acceleration Shudder

Tesla service should replace the half-shafts, and if it ever comes back, it should be covered as a recurring issue...Tesla recognizes that replacing the half-shafts is not a permanent fix, as it was a design flaw and now they have to service the issue for the life of the car, or until a permanent fix is developed.

I had this issue at least 3 times on my X, and the foregoing was said to me by several Tesla service employees at two different service centers.

They continued to fix mine for free long after the warranty expired.
That is very dependent on the service center location, just like everything service related with Tesla.
I know people who have been refused post warranty by two of the nearby centers close to mine for this issue. So, they got it repaired at a further location.

Let's rule out differing ride height calibrations. Can everyone measure your height on "very low" ether to top of the fender. Mine's about 30.25 inches. I have an MXP which is totally different than Ravan.

View attachment 791861
There is a bulletin out on the ride height sensors on the model x having a pin issue ill post it ..I set my ride height wrong and while driving down the road i could hear the noise coming from driver side half shaft ..after doing it correctly the vibration went away .. so this defiantly a ride height issue its a small leak at a spring or a ride height sensor issue Also if you read the half shaft bulletin it says in small print to do a ride height calibration when finished ..i dont think they are doing that

Attachments

• 2cap.JPG
    2cap.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 179
  • 3cap.JPG
    3cap.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
There is a bulletin out on the ride height sensors on the model x having a pin issue ill post it ..I set my ride height wrong and while driving down the road i could hear the noise coming from driver side half shaft ..after doing it correctly the vibration went away .. so this defiantly a ride height issue its a small leak at a spring or a ride height sensor issue Also if you read the half shaft bulletin it says in small print to do a ride height calibration when finished ..i dont think they are doing that

Does this apply to the refresh?

Where are you getting the part numbers for the refresh. They're not yet available on epc.tesla.com.
Someone had his shafts already replaced for ”vibration” on his Plaid S and said it was the same part number as the PreRefresh X. Not sure if it was on his invoice or what.

He said it fixed it for a while and it’s back and SC is throwing up it’s hands and not replacing them again.

So far my Refresh S has been good. I keep it on Chill, I’ve never launched it and keep it on low. Hopefully the tires will be ok. If not I’ll add camber adjustment.

Some folks have put in lowering links on their Refresh S to lower it even lower to work around the vibration.

I had it on my X. Seen other posts that had them replaced several times and was told you must keep it on low. On my Raven X that caused inside of my tires to wear out abnormally quick because of improper camber at the low setting. I almost did it on my X. But I decided to trade it for an S to avoid the whole mess.

I don’t know if Refresh X still has camber issue on low.

I’m not surprised at all Refresh X has shudder.

Someone had his shafts already replaced for ”vibration” on his Plaid S and said it was the same part number as the PreRefresh X. Not sure if it was on his invoice or what.

He said it fixed it for a while and it’s back and SC is throwing up it’s hands and not replacing them again.

So far my Refresh S has been good. I keep it on Chill, I’ve never launched it and keep it on low. Hopefully the tires will be ok. If not I’ll add camber adjustment.

Some folks have put in lowering links on their Refresh S to lower it even lower to work around the vibration.

I had it on my X. Seen other posts that had them replaced several times and was told you must keep it on low. On my Raven X that caused inside of my tires to wear out abnormally quick because of improper camber at the low setting. I almost did it on my X. But I decided to trade it for an S to avoid the whole mess.

It does. My MXP camber at each setting in degrees:

Very low: -2.1
Low: -1.8
Medium: -1.5
High: -1.3
Very High: -1.0

And since Medium was removed as a choice for anything faster than 35 mph, we're basically minimum of -1.8

So not sure what to make of this on Teslas epc parts catalog, the model x from Sep 2015 to Feb 2021 has two part numbers for the right halfshaft
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT1027115-00-D
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, RH1420119-00-B

Then for March 2021 it's listed as:

The one on my MXP is 1420119-00-B.

So not sure what to make of this on Teslas epc parts catalog, the model x from Sep 2015 to Feb 2021 has two part numbers for the right halfshaft
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT1027115-00-D

Then for March 2021 it's listed as:

The one on my MXP is 1420119-00-B.
Model S Refresh looks similar. Has 1420119-00-B also.

It’s confusing. One number is the left shaft and the other is the right shaft.

Front RH and Front LH but they use different abbreviations on each.

Rear plaid is different of course.

Model S Refresh looks similar. Has 1420119-00-B also.

It’s confusing. One number is the left shaft and the other is the right shaft.

Front RH and Front LH but they use different abbreviations on each.

Rear plaid is different of course.

No, those are both right hand side shafts and both labeled 2. For up to February 2021:

#Part NamePart NumberSales RestrictionRepair QuantityOrder in Quantity
1HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, LEFT HAND1420113-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11
1HALFSHAFT ASSEMBLY, FRONT, SMALL DRIVE UNIT, LEFT HAND SIDE1553109-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11
2HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT1027115-00-DOver-the-Counter(No VIN)15
2HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, RH1420119-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11

For March 2021:
#Part NamePart NumberSales RestrictionRepair QuantityOrder in Quantity
1HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, RH1420119-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11
2HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, LEFT HAND1420113-00-BOver-the-Counter(No VIN)11

I didn’t see the two 2’s. The first 2 is an older part number. Maybe for earlier date or something. The new parts are all the same pre and post refresh. S and X.

I think X was more prone to Shudder. And worse on camber when running on low.

It’s amazing they have not addressed this.

I didn’t see the two 2’s. The first 2 is an older part number. Maybe for earlier date or something. The new parts are all the same pre and post refresh. S and X.

I think X was more prone to Shudder. And worse on camber when running on low.

It’s amazing they have not addressed this.
1027115-00-D and 1420119-00-B are both right hand and are both labeled #2 in the parts diagram. What are you not getting?