TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Acceleration Shudder

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by FarmerDave, Jul 23, 2016.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

For the last thousand miles or so I've noticed a significant shudder as I accelerate hard from 20-30 mph, as in freeway onramp.

Has anyone else noticed this? The car is slated for a Service Center visit in a few weeks.

• Like x 1
  2. Phil Seastrand

Mine was also doing this (at about 6000 miles) and the service center replaced the front-right half-shaft. I'm still getting intermittent shuddering but I'm not sure if it's the drive system or simply wheel slippage on the road. I'm going to sit on it for awhile and see if it gets better or worse.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. neverdone

neverdone Member

yes. I have noticed this at speed from about 30-35mph. I noticed this about 3 weeks ago. I will bring this up at a schedule service appointment in 2 weeks. I will report back what I find.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

5. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Nope - no shudder on acceleration including Launch Mode :rolleyes:

6. jschwefel

jschwefel Member

Please keep us posted. I'm interested since I might have a similar issue with my early P85. There's sometimes a shutter/vibration under hard acceleration from 50 to 70 mph. It doesn't always happen (only 2 or 3 times now), so I'm going to try and pay closer attention to the conditions when it does.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Just got my car back from the SC and I still have the shudder. This is what the invoice showed:

Concern: Customer states: When accelerating relatively hard he feels a shuttering in the
    steering and body of the vehicle
    Pay Type: Warranty
    Corrections: Rear Motor General Diagnosis
    Case is under review. Maybe fixed with a later firmware updateo_O

8. neverdone

neverdone Member

This is the response from my service appointment.
    Concern: Customer states:" rumble, shimmy only when accelerating at about at slow
    speeds 10mph -40mph. Verified on test drive with Glenn. W.
    Pay Type: Warranty
    Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
    Removed and replaced right front halfshaft. Test drove vehicle and found vibration is no
    longer present.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

This may be happening to me as well but slightly.

10. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Not having experienced your shudder, is it possible that it's the "Lane Departure Warning" vibration? If you have "Lane Departure Warning" turned on, try turning it off and see if you still experience it.

11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Problem is still unresolved and may be getting worse, spoke with and sent an email to Service Manager today.

I also tried an experiment. Little or no shudder when accelerating hard with Range Mode on. Doesn't that point to the rear motor/drive train as the culprit? Or does it just mean that acceleration isn't as hard in Range Mode?

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I thought it was my imagination. I'm experiencing this too and it hasn't happened for very long. I'm at 14.5K miles in 5.5 months. I had a list of things for my service center and added this.

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Not quite sure I follow your logic about the rear motor. I think the Range Mode intermittently shuts off the rear but I don't think it is always off. It is done at highway cruising AFAIK. From some other thread: "The torque sleep feature effectively switches off the larger rear motor at constant speeds and the front motor does all of the work "

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

You're welcome. It's very annoying. The entire car shakes on hard acceleration.

Let us know if your SC comes up with a solution.

• Like x 1
  15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

You may be right. I was under the impression that Range Mode turned off the rear motor completely. In any case it really needs fixing.

16. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I had a shudder on accel that I only noticed after a "contact tesla service" on the display that went away on its own. I might just have not noticed the problem before. Either way the SC changed the half shafts and it's gone now. We'll see if it comes back.

17. X Fan

X Fan Member

At 10k miles and have noticed the shudder during intense acceleration over last 3K miles. Haven't worried about it to date but given comments in OP I guess I'll ping my SA tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing to light....

18. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

My Model X was in for service for a few things and I mentioned the shudder to them. Here's what they did:
    Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Both front half shafts will need to be replaced restore proper working due to imbalance.
    Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH Replaced left front halfshaft and test drove
    vehicle.

Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity

HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X (1027111-00 1
    -A)
    Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
    Replaced right hand haft shaft assemble and test drove vehicle.

Parts Replaced or Added
    Part Quantity
    HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X (1027115-00 1
    -A)

• Informative x 1
  19. Phil Seastrand

I just picked up my Model X from the service center and they said they've stopped replacing the half axles until the factory can figure out what the root cause is. Their suspicion is a firmware issue introduced in a past update.

• Informative x 3
  20. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I'm a little suspicious of software as well since I have not found it to be consistent even on the same road. Mine didn't change based on Range Mode ON|OFF but it was mentioned above. Mine has not done it when I was close to 100%. Coincidence perhaps as I see it sometimes (> 50%) when at 90% or lower. I often charge to 80%.