Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are list of things that was replaced today on my vehicle,

View attachment 268024

I didn't notice any vibration in "standard" setting while driving back from SC. I was recommended to keep the setting at low, though. Time will tell about the fix.
thanks for update....does anyone know if the parts that were installed are "new/diffferent" or the ones that have been used since the beginning?

I wonder if the lift of the front of the vehicle during hard acceleration, doesn't have enough down force to keep firm traction, causing a bit of shudder.

Very low mode would explain less shudder, but not eliminating shudder all together.

Would love for someone to mount some go pros to the front undercarriage angled at wheels and post the video

I am not buying another Model X until they fix that shudder. In the meantime I am going to try Chill mode and see if that mitigates the issue for the remaining life of my beloved Model X. The reality is that my wife is always driving the MX anyway so I rarely notice it.

• Funny
Reactions: Icer
I am not buying another Model X until they fix that shudder. In the meantime I am going to try Chill mode and see if that mitigates the issue for the remaining life of my beloved Model X. The reality is that my wife is always driving the MX anyway so I rarely notice it.

Chill mode significantly reduced the shutter for me. It’s still there, but a lot less noticeable. Unfortunate that’s the “fix” though.

This problem in my 2016 P90DL seems to be getting worse day by day. I have 15,600 miles now, and I don't think the problem started for me until about 12 or 13,000 miles.

It is starting to really be annoying.

Is this Shudder only on older cars, mine is a dec. delivery. And I don’t know if I am just imagining it and am just noticing a “shudder” every time the road has an imperfection

I have kept My car on chill mode so I will take it off and try that, unrelated but

Is this Shudder only on older cars, mine is a dec. delivery. And I don’t know if I am just imagining it and am just noticing a “shudder” every time the road has an imperfection

I have kept My car on chill mode so I will take it off and try that, unrelated but
Don't worry, it's coming. Even when parts are replaced due to this issue, the shudder always comes back. Just give your car some time to 'break' in.

• Funny
Reactions: Tdreamer

Chill mode is related. Shudder is tied to rate of acceleration. I get significantly more shudder on launch mode in ludicrous and none in chill mode.

You asking me? Happened with various tires (conti, scorpion, latitude), all same rims, worsened over time, and stopped with new half-shafts.
If wheel hop is the thing then some bushing is wearing since the problem gets worse with miles driven. What bushing is there now? Can we get a camera under there to look for the vibration? Can we get a test car with spherical bushings? Who’s up for it?

Last edited:
I still have occasional vibration (like a jack hammer) during deacceleration (didn't feel this on a Model X 100D loaner the other day) but shudder during acceleration seems to be gone. I do keep at "low" suspension all the time.
I found the reason for steering wheel vibration that is happening in some instances. This seems to be gone now after I turned off "Lane Departure" warning.