Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X set to always low for about the last half year, Probably about 85% of the 12.5k miles were in low, since most of the early miles were well above my previous 50 MPH setting. At my first annual service the tires were all 6mm tread depth across all four tires. (However, they were still checking alignment only in the standard setting.) While I have seen reports of uneven tire wear before, mine has been perfect so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: swgdan and gavine
We celebrate the threads 2 year birthday next month. Looks like a real fix aint happening. I guess Tesla is fine with reactively changing out parts rather than implementing a long term solution. Bummer...

Long term solution: If the axles work better and/or last longer with the suspension on low, because changes angle of the axles, why not shim the motors so that they sit lower? This way, the axles have the better angle when the suspension is at normal height. Even if this can't be retrofitted, how about on new vehicles at least?

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Not really news but I just had my X in for service and asked them to look at this. This was on the invoice:

Road tested vehicle in order to diagnose shudder feel when accelerating and turning. Found shudder present at higher suspension heights and when under heavy acceleration. Tesla is aware of this issue and we are currently working on a permanent solution to this shudder issue. Issue is not causing the vehicle to be unsafe to be driven.

I bought an SUV/cross over style vehicle, not a minivan. I will tell that to every service center employee that tells me to put my suspension on low.
i took delivery of my MX75 December 2017 and it was already locked in low suspension all the time. i changed it to normal because it is a more comfortable ride. yes under heavy acceleration there is the shudder but in normal driving i never notice it. let's hope the permanent fix comes soon!

After getting my vehicle from SC, I also noticed that they put it on "LOW" suspension for "ALWAYS". Could that be the so called solution for shudder? Keeping that setting, will it wear tires more? how about ride quality? Model X is already noisier than other $100000 plus
counterparts !!

They will still go bad even in always low mode. Also tire wear is accelerated. I’m showing steel belts on my 20” continentals. Been aligned twice. They refuse to align it in the low setting. So likely toe setting is off slightly. Apparently the procedure for aligning the car has the tech cycle the suspension up and down on the alignment rack. At least that’s what the Les Schwab guy told me.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
I’m not getting the shudder at all on my X delivered in Feb 2018 with now just over 4K miles. I’ve run it in both standard and low ride height, tyre wear is pretty even. So have they fixed the issue at the factory or does this issue typically appear with more mileage? Mine is a 75D, so is the problem more common with P models?

I’m not getting the shudder at all on my X delivered in Feb 2018 with now just over 4K miles. I’ve run it in both standard and low ride height, tyre wear is pretty even. So have they fixed the issue at the factory or does this issue typically appear with more mileage? Mine is a 75D, so is the problem more common with P models?
try jacking your suspension up high & then punching it. See if it shutters then. Chances are, it will. If not? Congratulations. But if it does, it is as good as it's going to get, & will likely become more noticeable as time goes by. At least that's been our experience.

Actually, don’t try that. You’ll just exacerbate the situation. Don’t have the shudder? Great, lucky you! Don’t try to trigger it.
well no - non't do it regularly. BTW, since Tesla obviously knows why the Shudder happens - has anyone heard positively what seems to be the issue and WHY is it so insurmountable (compared to the ghosting X windshield) as to getting a permanent fix?