Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an X 90D. Around 11k miles or so I had the shudder problem and they replaced the half-shafts. Shudder went away but the ride was noticeably harsher. Now at 19k miles I can hear a grinding noise when I accelerate through 50MPH. Un-coincidentally I have the air-ride suspension set to automatically lower at 50+ MPH. When I lock the air-ride suspension to always stay at "Normal" height the grinding noise while accelerating through 50 MPH goes away but then I get a quieter but still noticeable grinding noise as I accelerate past 60 MPH!!! I am scheduled for service this weekend, will report back with what happens.

I never wanted the Air-Ride suspension but they made it standard when I bought my X. It cost several thousand more than a simple coil suspension. IMO the Air-Ride suspension is clearly defective. Anyone want to start a class action suit if they cannot permanently resolve the suspension problems???

I had the same issues (stuttering), and similar "its normal" answer.

Since I now started hearing clomps on acceleration, I asked them to look at these, they changed rigth and left axles.

Stuttering is now gone. Still a light stomp noise when I have too much spirit while driving.

buena park also replicated shuddering and will replace front axles next week. hopefully it will resolve it....

Front axel replacements aren’t even a permanent fix. Temporary at best, the SC tech told me to not even bother unless I want my vehicle to be in service constantly. So long as it’s just annoying and not a safety issue we might not ever get a fix.

Well, at this point if Tesla refuses to come up with a permanent fix and they continue to just replace the 1/2 shafts each year during my annual service, I guess I'm fine with that. My annual service is next month and the shudder and groan are back, so let's see how much resistance I get from them about replacing them again.

Reactions: Cowby
I just had my 2016 Model X in for the third time for front end noises. Hats off to Tesla Cleveland for turning this around so quickly. In and out in three days, including drop off and delivery to my state that doesn't have a service center.
First time was in 2017 when I started to get the grinding sound. Half shafts replaced. Second time was last year, again, half shafts replaced. This time, the service center set the suspension to low, so I wonder if they thing this mitigates the issue. If it does, does that mean we're trading off half shafts for reduced tire life? Anyways, almost immediately after the second service, I noticed a speed actuated rattling noise coming from the front during hard acceleration. This time, it was a "torn motor mount" that caused premature wear on the half shafts, so the mount and both half shafts were once again replaced. I'm in my 1000 mi grace period for the end of my 50k warranty, but I'll definitely be purchasing the extended warranty if there isn't a permanent fix for this. I don't hard launch at every light, but I do accelerate quicker than cars around me. It shouldn't be outside the normal operating features of this car, so hopefully they'll find a permanent fix.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
I have a 2017 last day of the year MX vin 79xxx with 20,000 miles on it. I just started to have a bad shudder all over the car. It started last week at speeds over 45mph. I took it to my local tire shop Les Schwab in Portland Oregon area. They said it was a tire that had a “hard rubber area” that made the tire no longer round. I have had over 50 cars in my life and I have never heard this one... So I went to Tesla and purchased a new front passenger tire, and had LS install the new tire. I drove away and everything seemed OK no shudder at 45mph. However when i got onto the freeway and hit above 70 the car started to shake again. At speeds of 85 the car is dangerously unsafe, shaking so hard it felt like the tires were coming off the ground. I drive my car in SoCal in the winters where we go easily 80+ on i15 outside Palm Springs. So I need to get this fixed. I am taking the MX to the Portland Service Center on friday of this week. I will let you know what they say...

In the past I have had small amounts of shudder at extreme acceleration with my ride height set at low. This is totally different. The car is a little scary to drive over 65 now... totally unsafe over 80mph.

So far Tesla has been great at fixing any issue I have had. I hope they can fix this one. Reading the post, it does not give me a good feeling...

Thanks
Tony

I have a 2017 last day of the year MX vin 79xxx with 20,000 miles on it. I just started to have a bad shudder all over the car. It started last week at speeds over 45mph. I took it to my local tire shop Les Schwab in Portland Oregon area. They said it was a tire that had a “hard rubber area” that made the tire no longer round. I have had over 50 cars in my life and I have never heard this one... So I went to Tesla and purchased a new front passenger tire, and had LS install the new tire. I drove away and everything seemed OK no shudder at 45mph. However when i got onto the freeway and hit above 70 the car started to shake again. At speeds of 85 the car is dangerously unsafe, shaking so hard it felt like the tires were coming off the ground. I drive my car in SoCal in the winters where we go easily 80+ on i15 outside Palm Springs. So I need to get this fixed. I am taking the MX to the Portland Service Center on friday of this week. I will let you know what they say...

In the past I have had small amounts of shudder at extreme acceleration with my ride height set at low. This is totally different. The car is a little scary to drive over 65 now... totally unsafe over 80mph.

So far Tesla has been great at fixing any issue I have had. I hope they can fix this one. Reading the post, it does not give me a good feeling...

Thanks
Tony
Shudder during acceleration is different than shudder at speed, what you are describing sucks, but with previous cars, I've had tire places tell me that tires are balanced for something like speeds up to 50 MPH and they can't do anything to fix balance vibrations at higher speeds.

Shudder during acceleration is different than shudder at speed, what you are describing sucks, but with previous cars, I've had tire places tell me that tires are balanced for something like speeds up to 50 MPH and they can't do anything to fix balance vibrations at higher speeds.

Find a place that will do "road force" balance, around here it cost about $20 per tire.

So no more shudder at high speed... Like the above post states my local Les Schwab has a road force balance machine. My tires were way out of balance. We balananced all four tires and now I have no shudder/vibration at speeds up to 110mph. The bad thing is we had to install a massive amount of wheights to make the tires run smooth. On my drivers rear we had to ad 8 oz. and the other rear wheel has about 7 oz added. We removed the Tesla weights.

So to try and prevent my tires from getting out of balance to this extreme I am going to try the following. Run my MX at standard height rather than low. Only because the inner surface of my tires are worn and I am going to try and get more miles out of my tires. I am also going to rotate my tires (side to side) every 5000 miles. I know this is not recommended by OEM tire manufacturers. I have never done this with zr rated tires however I feel I have nothing to loose since the tires are worn on the inboard side. The rest of the tires have 5.55mm 7/32”, new they are 8mm or 5/16” only worn approx .096” or little over 3/32”. If this does not work, I feel I had nothing to loose. I guess you could say its my own experiment.

I guess I will have to keep my foot out of the accelerator so that i dont have shudder problems getting off the line. Not that big of a deal any more sense i have had the car for a year now and I know there is almost no car that is quicker off the line.

Thanks
Tony

7505FCBB-6935-4166-9B70-6E34E668513F.jpeg
BFD08C9F-41B6-4E25-90BB-8FA9B9EB751B.jpeg
2FE2EC66-DCDD-4405-A4C4-C7BAC4E5C705.jpeg
Update on out of balance tires.

So i broke down a purchased all new tires due to the shudder. When we removed the tire from the wheel. The foam inside the tires were loose. One was balled up inside the tire.

Tesla service center said it a Perrelli problem. Sucks i had great tire tread on the tires like 5-6 /32”. Only worn 2-3/32”.

Anybody have any issues like this?

Got my car back from the service center for its 3-year service and to have the shudder issue addressed again. At first they thought it just needed another 1/2 shaft replacement. They replaced the 1/2 shafts and it still had the shudder problem so they said it also needed a front drive unit (which took a week to ship). After two weeks at the service center, I got my Model X back yesterday with a new front drive unit and new 1/2 shafts. The shudder is gone for now, but we'll see how long it lasts again. My bet is on about 6 months before it starts to return.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
View attachment 396259 View attachment 396260 View attachment 396261 Update on out of balance tires.

So i broke down a purchased all new tires due to the shudder. When we removed the tire from the wheel. The foam inside the tires were loose. One was balled up inside the tire.

Tesla service center said it a Perrelli problem. Sucks i had great tire tread on the tires like 5-6 /32”. Only worn 2-3/32”.

Anybody have any issues like this?

Hope you kept the old tyres. It's only foam to lower road noise and tyres will work fine without it. Did/will you pursue this with Pirelli?

No, I think it would be a waste of time. Leschwab said tire manufactures make it so hard to get anything back. They just make you jump through a bunch of hoops and you never get anything for the amount of time and effort put in.

I will see how many miles i get out of this set. If i only get 20k again i will remove the foam. My next set will be without foam. Maybe a Mich. pilot sport for the next set.