Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting denied to have the new Clovis mount covered as a warranty item since the warranty has expired on our 2016 X, despite it beginning and being "repaired" at least 2-3 times while we were under warranty. They want $2000 for the parts to repair it. Super frustrating as clearly it never was 'repaired', just replaced with new faulty parts. Still pursuing other leads, but may have to shell out the cash.
No more goodwill service from Tesla. Very disappointed with the service.
Good luck. The problem was clearly documented on your vehicle before the warranty expired, the fact that they did not have a fix until after should not be an excuse.
No more goodwill from Tesla. They are not the same company it used to be as far as Service goes. I had a bad rattle in the dash on the passenger side in Model 3 almost 6 months ago and they wouldn't do it as goodwill even though it was documented before 1 yr anniversary. Mobile couldn't fix it and I postponed it for any other issues and take it all at once to Service center. But they wouldn't do it.

There is no way you can get to Executive Team anymore since they took the option away in My Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
At least folks here (some) were getting it fixed. I just got my 2019 X in June... I have the shudder problem, and the Oxnard Service Center says that they aren't able to perform the fix.

2019-09-13.png

A few weeks ago, I went in because the passenger visor was rattling, and because of the shudder. The service tech did a test drive with me, but, said that there's no proof the fix works for the shudder. In my case, it's definitely there, and noticeable (though, it wasn't bad when I first got the X). His suggestion was for me to keep it in High or Very High - the problem is, the X doesn't stay in High or Very High unless you're going slow.

At least folks here (some) were getting it fixed. I just got my 2019 X in June... I have the shudder problem, and the Oxnard Service Center says that they aren't able to perform the fix.

2019-09-13.png

A few weeks ago, I went in because the passenger visor was rattling, and because of the shudder. The service tech did a test drive with me, but, said that there's no proof the fix works for the shudder. In my case, it's definitely there, and noticeable (though, it wasn't bad when I first got the X). His suggestion was for me to keep it in High or Very High - the problem is, the X doesn't stay in High or Very High unless you're going slow.
That is total BS. There is a fix for Shudder now and seems to work better. Again time will tell. So far so good. They did fix my shudder issue on my Model X in the same service center (Portland) which denied goodwill service for rattle in my Model 3.

There is no way anyone can get to Executive Team for further review. Escalating to Service manager is no use as well.

2019-09-13.png

The service tech was grossly misinformed.

To reduce the shudder symptoms, you'll need to do the opposite of what he said. Set the suspension to Low or Very Low. Setting it to High or Very High exacerbates the problem.

The way the TSB is worded, many (including myself) believe the fix is meant to be permanent. Results seem promising so far, based on posts from those who have had the repair work completed.

2,000 miles post-fix, my X is still shudder-free.

To reduce the shudder symptoms, you'll need to do the opposite of what he said. Set the suspension to Low or Very Low. Setting it to High or Very High exacerbates the problem.

The way the TSB is worded, many (including myself) believe the fix is meant to be permanent. Results seem promising so far, based on posts from those who have had the repair work completed.

Had my clevis mount and front axles both replaced about 2000 miles ago as well. I am wondering if running the suspension in very low vs low is better for preventing the shudder from recurring. I know that the ride quality is softer because of less air.

Reactions: efusco

This is great advice. I’m looking to make a purchase later this year and this is a major concern about buying slightly used. Should I just pony up for brand new?

I took my Model X in on Sept 10th for the shudder fix. They told me there were a couple of cars ahead of me and provided a P85D loaner. A week later, on Sept 17th, they let me know it was ready. I drove the 50 miles, to the service center, and picked up the car. While leaving the parking lot and accelerating onto the highway, I had a loud pop and there was a terrible chatter. I immediately pulled to the shoulder and walked back to the SC center. The car was less than 100 feet from the SC and my walk was, maybe, 50 feet across the parking lot. They saw me coming back. I got the P85D loaner back and made the 50 mile trip back home. The next message from Tesla was that the technician had mistakenly installed a right half-shaft for a Model S and it broke. The next message was that they were having a hard time removing the half-shaft and that the drive unit was damaged.

The end result was a new drive unit and, of course, half-shaft. They were doing the 4 wheel alignment and testing on Saturday morning, Sept 21st. About 1300 they let me know my car was ready and that I could pick it up before 1500, or they could arrange an after-hours pick up. I picked it up that day, being very apprehensive, I accelerated hard leaving the SC -the shudder is gone!!! -And nothing broke!!! I hope it stays that way. I am very happy to have my car back and the almost 9 hours (for a TSB projected 2.10 hour fix) I spent driving, back and forth, was worth the trouble. While the original service technicians mistake was aggravating, the Service Center people were very nice and professional. After almost 3 years I still feel this is a fantastic car. My next car will likely be another Model X- hopefully with the 2 motor rear drive.

PS: While I had a Model S before the Model X, I did not enjoy getting my 73 year old, 6’1”, body into that P85D. Even with easy entry set, my knees kept banging into the steering when entering the car. The P85D, with over 65,000 miles, drove very nicely, smooth and the visibility seems better than the Model X. With a good detailing it would have been like a new car.

PSS: On Saturday, the Service Center parking lot was packed with new Model 3’s and more Tesla’s (or is that Tesli) were being unload. It seemed that every new Model X was Raven Ludicrous- and there were a number of them.

This is great advice. I’m looking to make a purchase later this year and this is a major concern about buying slightly used. Should I just pony up for brand new?

I wouldn't shudder away from a used one in good condition, but I think there are very compelling reasons to prefer a new Model X. The latest version has more range, better efficiency, and potentially more features (as nearly everything that used to be optional, like the tow package and better sound system, is now standard). Personally, I think the adaptive suspension is a huge plus.

Many other minor issues have also been addressed in the years since Model X production began. Better seals, quieter and more reliable door motors, and even revised sheetmetal stampings to prevent rubbing issues with the falcon doors. Not to mention MCU2 and HW3.

I wouldn't shudder away from a used one in good condition, but I think there are very compelling reasons to prefer a new Model X. The latest version has more range, better efficiency, and potentially more features (as nearly everything that used to be optional, like the tow package and better sound system, is now standard). Personally, I think the adaptive suspension is a huge plus.

Many other minor issues have also been addressed in the years since Model X production began. Better seals, quieter and more reliable door motors, and even revised sheetmetal stampings to prevent rubbing issues with the falcon doors. Not to mention MCU2 and HW3.

only look to the newest if you crave the latest tech and most future compatible hardware, otherwise save the $40,000 and get yourself a 2016 or 2017. More range is great but if you charge every night to at least 90%, it makes no difference unless you drive more than 200 miles/day anyways. many used models come with tow hitch and premium audio, as well as premium upgrade included.

Also, having purchased a 2016 this year, i still get the 4 year/ 50k mile warranty. Upgraded for free at the service center were top FWD seals (and windows), front doors retrofit (for quieter latching mechanisms), acceleration shudder retrofit. They even offered FWD interior switches retrofit but we declined because we actually like the little pull/push tabs. i like the active spoiler even if it does nothing other than go up/down, and unlimited supercharging makes range anxiety and efficiency mean nothing to me. I can put it on ludicrous plus mode all the time if i wanted to (which i hate doing btw because of the warming up)

really the only difference for us (which we have no problem with but you may feel differently) was the fold down 2nd row seats and newest hardware/software. reverse camera resolution and faster map loading is enviable as well but not deal breakers. it's rare that we need the extra cargo room, we have our own onboard security cameras installed with better resolution (but minus side cameras), i find AP 1 still better than AP 2 and still get to use auto park and summon and would not trust FSD probably for the next 5 years anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750 and jet44
Reactions: jewilson2
Just had my second replacement.

X purchased in Sept 2016. Shudder started in 2017. Half shafts replaced at that time: LH part number 1027111-00-B; RH part number 1027115-00-B.

Shudder started again in 2019.

Yesterday Tesla replaced both half shafts and the clevis assembly. Half shaft part nos: LH part number 1027111-00-D; RH part number 1027115-00-D.

Covered under warranty.

Reactions: alloverx
My TSB parts finally arrived and the service center installed them today. Can confirm no shudder and acceleration is silky smooth now.

It’s funny, now I’m hearing too much road noise I got used to the shudder and it drowning out the other sounds like an ICE car :eek:

Raven X here..... I have the Shudder and having rough vibrations constantly in the steering wheel 35mph+.... Have been to the service center 4 or 5 times since taking delivery in Setp.... for various issues. Rattles, Seatbelt, Driver seat, Rims, Tires, Radio, and now the Shudder is getting worse and the back windows are not sealing

Really regret my purchase at this time.

Raven X here..... I have the Shudder and having rough vibrations constantly in the steering wheel 35mph+.... Have been to the service center 4 or 5 times since taking delivery in Setp.... for various issues. Rattles, Seatbelt, Driver seat, Rims, Tires, Radio, and now the Shudder is getting worse and the back windows are not sealing

Really regret my purchase at this time.
I have a 07/19 P Raven, took delivery Aug 24th. Shutter just started at 5500 miles (Dec 27th). I have to admit it was all good until I did my first ludicrous launch at 5000 miles on Christmas Day. I knew my Raven would get the shudder eventually, but was trying to be gentle until more people were reporting more long term fix. Now I’m more than certain I will be purchasing the extended 4year warranty at my 6 month deadline to make sure I’m good beyond regular warranty. After coughing up $155k USD for this car, a little extra insurance would give me many nights of sleep. Also I think one of my Falcon wing doors will need service soon. A strange sound has started mid way closing. Might be cold climate related not sure.