Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I read here Tesla knows it makes noise under certain conditions and they are using new replacement parts to get rid of the issue . This doesn't preclude that it's unsafe to drive but I understand your concern.
It's quite a bit more than the noise, but the shaking gets so onerous before the shafts are near the point of actual failure that I don't think it's a safety concern yet. Then again, while I can't imagine someone reasonably making the decision to drive the car at that point, the world is great at making better idiots when you make something idiot-proof.

From what I read here Tesla knows it makes noise under certain conditions and they are using new replacement parts to get rid of the issue . This doesn't preclude that it's unsafe to drive but I understand your concern.

From what I'm reading, not all SCs are in agreement that shaft replacement is the root of the issue.

I noted my shaft replacement in thread #115. There was no mention that the old ones were bad - just that they were replaced.

Shutter was gone for ~1 month but returned shortly after. I just haven't brought it back to the SC because I don't want to lose the car for another 3 weeks and roll the dice on a loaner. Last time I wound up with a Hyundai, which is the exact opposite of the Model X in every way possible. It was cramped and the family could barely fit, but we managed. The worst part was having to fill the tank from my own pocket.

I'm not suggesting the car is NOT safe, but i don't think Tesla can guarantee me that it is when there's still internal debate amongst themselves.

From what I'm reading, not all SCs are in agreement that shaft replacement is the root of the issue.

I noted my shaft replacement in thread #115. There was no mention that the old ones were bad - just that they were replaced.

Shutter was gone for ~1 month but returned shortly after. I just haven't brought it back to the SC because I don't want to lose the car for another 3 weeks and roll the dice on a loaner. Last time I wound up with a Hyundai, which is the exact opposite of the Model X in every way possible. It was cramped and the family could barely fit, but we managed. The worst part was having to fill the tank from my own pocket.

I'm not suggesting the car is NOT safe, but i don't think Tesla can guarantee me that it is when there's still internal debate amongst themselves.
Very interesting; there must be multiple issues with them. Mine have been replaced twice, and it's about time for a third. Last time the joints were noticeably worn compared to the new ones. You could feel the play by hand.

I ignored the shuddering in my Signature P90D during the 60k miles that I drove it (mostly at medium height with hundreds of full throttle events). But now noticing a big improvement in my new P100D (which was bought to boost towing range by 30%). The new X will still shudder mildly if you set the ride height at medium and do a full throttle start, but there's at least a 10X improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and qadaemon
I ignored the shuddering in my Signature P90D during the 60k miles that I drove it (mostly at medium height with hundreds of full throttle events). But now noticing a big improvement in my new P100D (which was bought to boost towing range by 30%). The new X will still shudder mildly if you set the ride height at medium and do a full throttle start, but there's at least a 10X improvement.
Give it a few months and then tell us if it is still a big improvement. Mine is at the Van Nuys service center now seeing what they can do about the shudder. We'll see what gets replaced when I get it back.

As an interesting side note, I got a Model X loaner. It's Signature #005. While driving on the freeway I hear a strange crashing sound and then a lot of wind noise. When I got to my destination I looked around and found this. It seems that this top glass piece just flew off at freeway speeds. Not good.

20170809_134243.jpg

Give it a few months and then tell us if it is still a big improvement. Mine is at the Van Nuys service center now seeing what they can do about the shudder. We'll see what gets replaced when I get it back.

As an interesting side note, I got a Model X loaner. It's Signature #005. While driving on the freeway I hear a strange crashing sound and then a lot of wind noise. When I got to my destination I looked around and found this. It seems that this top glass piece just flew off at freeway speeds. Not good.

View attachment 240804
Sounds like your Signature Loaner got a pane-free, "Over-The-Air" update.

As I understand it they have told us it is a harmonic issue, more of a fast wobble than a shudder. There must be a wear component since there is a break-in period and it worsens over time. Maybe the new pieces are structurally less susceptible to wear as well as reshaped to avoid the harmonic problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus and ohmman
I got these parts in January 2017. Perfect for one month. Then back to shuddering and wobbling.

San Diego service center fixed shudder on my 90D 2 weeks ago.

These are the parts they replaced:

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B)
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-A)

Got this done about 3 weeks ago, and steering wheel vibrations are back....

Concern: Steering wheel vibration at high speeds (Typically >130km/hr)
Pay Type: Warranty Corrections: Tire - Front - RH Both front tires have been replaced on the vehicle to help with the vibration.
Part Quantity 265/45R20 CCLXS T0 (1027256-00-B) 2
Parts Replaced or Added Corrections: Tire Disposal

Corrections: Replace RH Front Halfshaft Right front halfshaft has been replaced on the vehicle to help with the vibration.
Part Quantity HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00- B)
1 JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)
1 WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
1 NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- A)
1 Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Replace LH Front Halfshaft Left front half shaft has been replaced to help with vibration on the vehicle.
Part Quantity HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
1 WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
1 Parts Replaced or Added 0.00 RONS864001479
Pay Type: Warranty Corrections: Performed alignment on the vehicle.

As I understand it they have told us it is a harmonic issue, more of a fast wobble than a shudder. There must be a wear component since there is a break-in period and it worsens over time. Maybe the new pieces are structurally less susceptible to wear as well as reshaped to avoid the harmonic problem.
Either the wear makes the half shafts degrade into the harmonic frequency, or the harmonic vibrations are initially muted by some kind of fitment that eventually wears down. That's assuming it's truly a harmonic problem.

I'll be interested to see the progression of part numbers, if any.

Either the wear makes the half shafts degrade into the harmonic frequency, or the harmonic vibrations are initially muted by some kind of fitment that eventually wears down. That's assuming it's truly a harmonic problem.

I'll be interested to see the progression of part numbers, if any.
FWIW the part numbers are identical for the times they have been replaced on mine. Same numbers as @wallstguy and @veyronish Last time in late March. Great for a couple thousand miles, then back to shaking. It's getting really bad on mine again, even resuming cruise control accelerates hard enough to shake.

My March 2017 build has acceleration shudder at the Standard height as well. It lessens when I lower the car to Low or Very Low, but it doesn't completely go away. (I still notice a very mild shudder in Very Low)

There's also a vibration at high speeds, felt through the steering wheel and seat. At first, I thought it was a wheel balance problem, so the local SC road-force balanced all four wheels at my request. But the vibration still exists.

About a month ago, I also had severe shaking anytime I applied the brakes at highway speeds, but the issue was corrected after the SC replaced all four rotors.

Are all of these related? Bringing the car in a few weeks from now. Will report back on what they find.

Picked my car back up again today. Like I suspected, they replaced the same stuff again. The shudder is "better" but not completely gone. I'm sure these shafts will last 6-12 months before getting really bad again. The tech at the service center said they will continue to replace them if the customer is not happy with the shudder. Until engineering comes up with a better solution, I guess this is the only fix the service centers can offer.

Replaced parts (for the second time):

Concern: front end shakes under acceleration.

Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
Removed and replaced left front jack shaft assembly. Torqued all suspension bolts to
necessary specifications.

Part Quantity
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A) 1

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
Removed and replaced left front half shaft assembly. Torqued all suspension bolts to

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B) 1

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Removed and replaced right front half shaft assembly. Torqued all suspension bolts to

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B) 1

I have the same to report as everyone else. Just had my half shafts and jackshaft replaced last week, same part numbers as everyone else in the last few posts. While the shudder is better, we expect it to come back. My service center was able to confirm that it's a wear issue. They didn't say what part was wearing, but that's why the shudder comes back.

For what it's worth... at my service center (Belgium) they explained me that replacing the shafts makes no sense.
The (only) expected solution for the acceleration shudder will come from a firmware upgrade. Apparently, the planned fix will shift more power to the rear engine in a situation where the suspension is in a higher position, thus offloading stress on those shafts.

For what it's worth... at my service center (Belgium) they explained me that replacing the shafts makes no sense.
The (only) expected solution for the acceleration shudder will come from a firmware upgrade. Apparently, the planned fix will shift more power to the rear engine in a situation where the suspension is in a higher position, thus offloading stress on those shafts.

Doesn't quite compute... without this future firmware, wouldn't it make sense that too much power is going to front shafts, resulting in premature wear and a valid need to replace?

My X has this, I wouldn't call it to the level of a shudder though. Decided I'm not at all worried about this. I do set it to low when I know I'll be making bursts, but otherwise not at all worried about needing to accelerate quickly if needed during regular traffic conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: OnlyDataNoBS