Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine have been replaced twice. Last time was about 4K miles ago. The shudder is just starting to come back.....again. It is still very faint but it's coming back like before. In another 6K miles or so it will be back to full strength if it if continues to get worse.

Unfortunately, the second replacement was supposedly with a revised cv/half shaft part that is thicker than the previous part.

Well that's a bummer to hear! Mine were just replaced a month ago, so hopefully it's the newer part and won't come back!

Agreed, unacceptable reply.

Curious, what did they suggest lowering the suspension to?

And does the shudder have anything to do with premature tire wear?

My questions also. But, I do assume they mean to set the suspension to the lowest setting. But, I think they are just putting me - and most others- off until there is a catastrophic failure of some type. What I am experiencing must be causing parts to wear and possibly fail at some point!

My questions also. But, I do assume they mean to set the suspension to the lowest setting. But, I think they are just putting me - and most others- off until there is a catastrophic failure of some type. What I am experiencing must be causing parts to wear and possibly fail at some point!

This also reminds me of the thread "Auto Lowering Air Suspensing - what do you guys set it to and why?".

I believe the consensus was that setting your suspension to very low (and low?) would cause a change in camber, leading to increase wear on the inner portions of the tires.

If a technician at the service center is instructing you to drop it low (and perhaps keep it there) to avoid the shudder effect, should Tesla not comp you on premature tire wear? :D

Reactions: Cowby
The Tesla Service Center in Jacksonville, Florida just told me (after waiting 6 week for an answer) to lower the suspension when accelerating. That is not acceptable.

Interesting. The Tech in the Bellevue svc center told me the same thing a week ago during my first service visit. That makes me think it's a message from Tesla on how to "resolve" the shudder problem.

Not a good answer of course, but with the Model 3 coming now I doubt this is high on the priority list. I had also read the threads on how the Low setting affects tires, so I've just ignored the advice.

I'm also lowering down my Model X P90D to "Very Low" as long as no fix is available ... This is unacceptable!

When travelling with both trunks (trunk and frunk) fully packed of luggages, I noticed the shudder effect somehow moved from "Low" position to "Standard". I guess the overall position of my car was lower due to the overall weight.

I could drive normally (without shudder effect) in both "Low" and "Very Low".

If one day, my SC advices me to load my car --> I'll get extremely pissed off :D

I started having a front-end vibration or shudder occur after 12 mo's in my Model X under normal acceleration at 30-35 mph and at the standard height setting. Seems to be more pronounced when going up hills. At 27,000 miles I took it in to be serviced two weeks ago and they performed a suspension and powertrain inspection and verified all components are ok. Service said vibration under heavy acceleration in normal and higher settings is expected due to the increased angle of the front axles and recommend using the lower suspension levels to lessen the possibility of vibration. The problem with using prolonged lower suspension settings is it causes premature uneven rear inside tire wear. I find Tesla Service's response unacceptable. Most of my city driving is at 30-35 while encountering hilly roads (in Seattle area). I would like to see Tesla resolve this issue.

Reactions: Cowby
Mine is going in again next Wednesday to have them see what they can do to "fix" the shudder. I had the 1/2 shafts replaced about a year ago and it has slowly gotten back to being as bad as it was before they were replaced. When I spoke with the service tech about it, he said that the current 1/2 shafts are much better than the ones from a year ago. I guess we'll see how it comes back.

Class action? Will that prompt a fix? What will prompt a recall? I don't want to hurt the Tesla corp I love, but I can't every time I bring this up to my service folks they either tell me it is tires (yet when I replace tires by their recommendation, it only "helps" but does not eliminate the issue and after about 100 miles the car is back to shuttering) or they just gloss over the complaint, or say it's normal. Strangely the service center keeps telling me to reset my ride height to standard all the time (maybe that helps tire life but makes shutter horrible). What are the magic words I need at my service center to get this taken care of? Makes we want to permanently switch my X for the S loaner they give me because at least it can accelerate without horrible vibration.