Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean hard accelerating out of a corner? I agree but I only feel it if I'm hard accelerating coming out of a turned stopped position degree, like turning from a stop sign and accelerating hard.
Likewise. I get it when leaving my driveway and turning right onto a main road. Or when doing anything greater than mild acceleration from a stop. Or when towing. I don't know the speed at which acceleration won't cause it, but it's likely greater than 25mph.

Bjorn has a great video showing the shudder on the x as it changes suspension settings, but the fact that it happens on an S in a subtle fashion is very interesting and makes me think a fix isn't really feasible unless air suspension is paused until after acceleration.

For me in an S, it only happens while going from very high suspension to accelerating fast and turning right. If I were to guess, (since nobody is asking and I'm entirely unqualified to make this guess), I think it may be caused by instability and unevenness that is created play within the air suspension column as the weight of the front of the car begins to settle after the initial lifting created by the hard acceleration.... I think it may creates a catching effect or pingponging/rebounding within the airsuspension cylinder since it is not designed to lower the car precisely during acceleration... only active dampers can do that and they aren't dealing with the massive forces created by a tesla.

What do you guys think?

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Not having experienced your shudder, is it possible that it's the "Lane Departure Warning" vibration? If you have "Lane Departure Warning" turned on, try turning it off and see if you still experience it.
I agree that having that on does induce a shudder/vibration in the steering wheel when drifting over lines. This definitely should be ruled out before bothering the Service Center about it.

Both of my Teslas have a shudder under moderate to hard acceleration. The Model X is much more pronounced and getting worse. I think the problem is the CV joints can't handle the torque. The symptoms of shuddering under acceleration are typical for CV joint failure. Tesla needs to get bigger/stronger CV joints. I've seen this problem in high performance cars with lots of torque.

Both of my Teslas have a shudder under moderate to hard acceleration. The Model X is much more pronounced and getting worse. I think the problem is the CV joints can't handle the torque. The symptoms of shuddering under acceleration are typical for CV joint failure. Tesla needs to get bigger/stronger CV joints. I've seen this problem in high performance cars with lots of torque.
Yes, but mine is just an X90D. Not thenP model and I still have the issue quite bad. So if others can accelerate nearly twice as hard, I find it hard to accept the CV joint argument.

Yes, but mine is just an X90D. Not thenP model and I still have the issue quite bad. So if others can accelerate nearly twice as hard, I find it hard to accept the CV joint argument.
Both of my cars are standard cars, not performance. The torque of a standard Tesla exceeds the torque output of most high performance cars. The fact that the torque is instantaneous and the cars weigh north of 4700 lbs makes for a stress on the joints that is greater than they can handle. Compare a torque curve of a ICE engine to the curve of an Tesla and it becomes obvious where the problem is. The torque of the ICE engine builds with rpm, the peaks and then tapers off. The Tesla is pretty much a straight line from zero rpm to it's maximum rpm. Compare the driveline stress of drag race vehicle, top accelerating cars don't have CV joints because they can't handle the power.

Note the other posters comments about lowering the car to reduce the vibration. This would have the effect of lining the joint in a more parallel axis with the motor and wheel, which would reduce the stress on the joint. The greater the angle on the joint the greater the stress on the joint.

I hope somebody would take a failed shaft and disassemble the joint and show the condition of the balls and races.

Last edited:
recommend using the lower suspension levels to lessen the possibility of vibration
Update to my Aug 3 comment: I've since remembered/noticed that my car was set to automatically raise the suspension to high at my home location, at the driveway entrance (I set this when I first got the car). Upon leaving home I recently noticed it still remained in the high raised suspension mode (even after 2 miles from my home) and I would experience the shuddering. I'm now wondering how long or far after leaving home does it still remain on high suspension before going back to the normal setting. I had assumed it would return to the normal setting immediately after leaving my driveway area, but no, that is not the case. I've since removed the "learned" auto high setting of the suspension for my driveway location, and I'm not experiencing the shudder that I previously described at 30-35 mph after leaving my home. This reaffirms what Tesla Service said to me, that using a lower suspension will lessen the possibility of the vibration. No more shuddering at this time, at least for now.

Update to my Aug 3 comment: I've since remembered/noticed that my car was set to automatically raise the suspension to high at my home location, at the driveway entrance (I set this when I first got the car). Upon leaving home I recently noticed it still remained in the high raised suspension mode (even after 2 miles from my home) and I would experience the shuddering. I'm now wondering how long or far after leaving home does it still remain on high suspension before going back to the normal setting. I had assumed it would return to the normal setting immediately after leaving my driveway area, but no, that is not the case. I've since removed the "learned" auto high setting of the suspension for my driveway location, and I'm not experiencing the shudder that I previously described at 30-35 mph after leaving my home. This reaffirms what Tesla Service said to me, that using a lower suspension will lessen the possibility of the vibration. No more shuddering at this time, at least for now.
It only lowers suspension setting once you reach a certain speed (eg. 30 mph). It will remain at the same setting as long as you stay below that speed. This is all controlled within the car's settings.

Reactions: ohmman
Hi All
Initial impression is great from the driving stand point
Vibration is completely gone
I have one concern though: They performed all of the work without doing alignment on the car
I thought this was necessary when you touch the suspension components
Anyone else has this done with no alignment adjustments?

Here is the part list

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
Removed and replaced left front halfshaft assembly.

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-A)

Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Removed and replaced front right halfshaft assembly.

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B)

Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
Removed and replaced front jackshaft assembly.

Part Quantity
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)

Hi All
I have one concern though: They performed all of the work without doing alignment on the car

Here is the part list

Part Quantity

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity
Man, I was hopeful for new part numbers, but these are the same as mine were the few times they've been replaced. I really hope it is great for you from here, but mine "wear out" after about 5-7k miles. Shouldn't have to do an alignment to change these if they come out and go in without trouble, so I'm sure yours is the same as it was before.

I apologize if this has been mentioned before, but I just got back from service (for a different issue) and thought I would add what was said to me.

According to my tech, Tesla tried to use the same drivetrain/suspension (I'm sure there were some modifications) from the MS for the MX. Because the size and height of the cars are different, it created a different angle on the axels/wheels of the MX. He said the shudder is a "harmonics" issue that does not cause damage to the car (not so sure about that). He said, what we know, that Tesla is aware and working on a solution. Thoughts/Comments?

Has anyone found a permanent (meaning lasting more than several thousand miles) solution? And is anyone with a newer car (picked up in July/August) with over 10,000 miles experiencing this issue (meaning has Tesla addressed the issue in current build)?

PS - I should add that I also had some shudder at highway speeds (regardless of acceleration). It would come and go. They found that some of the carpet-type material inside the wheel well was missing some grommets. Once they pulled the wheel and replaced the grommets, no more highway speed shudder. Just FYI for those that might be having that experience.

Last edited:
I had one replaced and they didn't re-align the car. I asked about it and he said it wasn't necessary. I don't think they have to undo anything that relates to the alignment to pull and replace the half shafts.

ive been driving on low and its been the best thing to happen to my Model X driving experience since i bought it. Acceleration, handling and overall feel of the car is just amazing now, and no worries of the acceleration shudder.

I switched to low after a loaner had it set to "always". It's better but I still get some shudder (much less though). Hopefully my tires are wearing OK.
I'd watch them. 20" all seasons were done on the inside 1" or so in less than 10k miles on low. 30+k on the new set with it set to standard. However, my car has every problem in the book so it might be anecdotal.

Reactions: DriverOne
My corked X75D never had a shudder. After being uncorked, I noticed a shudder on hard acceleration. Playing around with the settings, I noticed the shudder is only there on standard under hard acceleration - both from a stop and on the highway.

If the car is set to always low or I put it into very low, there is no shudder. I can only reproduce it in standard and high.

Hi All

Here is the part list

Part Quantity

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

I got these same parts replaced @ around 50,000 km and it was smooth for the first couple of thousand kilometres, but now its back again @ 53000 km
These parts were supposed to be the updated version