Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my X back and wanted to update the thread.

The SC eliminated most of my shudder by removing (at no cost) the foam inside my tires. As many of you know, various tires (not just the Continentals) have foam inside them to reduce road noise. Apparently Tesla is aware that this foam comes loose and moves around.

This explains why I was having worse shudder at times and hardly any at other times (at highway speeds). It also virtually eliminated my acceleration shudder. The SC claims that Tesla is no longer fixing the acceleration problem until they come up with a permanent solution (I can't verify this, just reporting what I was told). They said any new parts numbers are not related to the shudder and that they currently have no solution (which I think is a horrible response).

Anyway, once they removed the foam, it took care of most of my problem. I would suggest others explore this (partial) solution.

The SC claims that Tesla is no longer fixing the acceleration problem until they come up with a permanent solution.

UGH.
I had my shudder repaired under warranty after about 3-months of driving (circa Jan 2017). It was gone for 2-months and came back. Reading these messages then, I decided not to get another repair until it was solved by Tesla.

Since that time, I've put a lot of miles on while towing a trailer. "Trailer Mode" locks the car at 'normal' height and that has made the shudder particularly bad (even when not towing the trailer now).

I was going to bring it back in now before things get terrible. Them not fixing things at all is not what I want to hear.

The SC claims that Tesla is no longer fixing the acceleration problem until they come up with a permanent solution (I can't verify this, just reporting what I was told). They said any new parts numbers are not related to the shudder and that they currently have no solution (which I think is a horrible response).

I wonder if this is a miscommunication to the SC, an individual SC decision, or corporate's official stance. Sounds like a class action waiting to happen...

I was told by my SC that new updated part for the shudder issue has been released few days ago. They ordered one for me and waiting to be tried on my car. We will see how it goes.
I'll be curious to hear the results. I complained about the shuddering and the SC recommended I change the suspension from auto-lower at 55 mph to always low. It was okay for a couple months, but now I'm starting to feel and hear shuddering even on low. I refuse to go to very low due to the increased tire wear.

Just to add an additional data point to the thread - I am seeing this on my 75d - has about 6k miles on it and it is certainly noticeable when the car is auto lowering at speed as well as accelerating while turning the car. I have set it to low and as others have reported it does seem to help but it is not completely eliminated

My local SC told me it’s normal and there’s no solution. Currently 12k miles and seems to be getting more obvious recently. The tech took a test drive with me. That was last Tuesday. The loaner X100D with 1.2k miles I got did not have it.

Mine are 22s.

Unfortunately I think a few things are going on here, so there is not just one solution. For me most of the issues went away when they removed the foam (was suppose to help with noise reduction) from inside the tires.

I was by the SC today and they had not heard of any new part number for the acceleration shudder.

Mine are 22s.

Unfortunately I think a few things are going on here, so there is not just one solution. For me most of the issues went away when they removed the foam (was suppose to help with noise reduction) from inside the tires.

I was by the SC today and they had not heard of any new part number for the acceleration shudder.
There must be so many variables with this issue. I haven't had foamed tires for ~20k miles and the shudder still gets worse every week. Like many have reported, replacing the shafts worked on mine for a couple thousand miles then it came back.

Just got my X back and wanted to update the thread.

The SC eliminated most of my shudder by removing (at no cost) the foam inside my tires. As many of you know, various tires (not just the Continentals) have foam inside them to reduce road noise. Apparently Tesla is aware that this foam comes loose and moves around.

This explains why I was having worse shudder at times and hardly any at other times (at highway speeds). It also virtually eliminated my acceleration shudder. The SC claims that Tesla is no longer fixing the acceleration problem until they come up with a permanent solution (I can't verify this, just reporting what I was told). They said any new parts numbers are not related to the shudder and that they currently have no solution (which I think is a horrible response).

Anyway, once they removed the foam, it took care of most of my problem. I would suggest others explore this (partial) solution.

I was told by my SC that new updated part for the shudder issue has been released few days ago. They ordered one for me and waiting to be tried on my car. We will see how it goes.

So which is it, the "foam "in tires or the "updated part"? Challenge with Tesla is that depending on who you talk to there is always a different answer.

Please keep us posted, thanks!

I don't buy the foam in tires excuse as a general remedy. The only way I see it making a difference is if the foam were loose and shifting around or if the tire had been patched (requiring the removal of a piece of foam) and then not balanced afterwards. I could glue lead weights inside my tires and as long as the tire was balanced properly afterwards, it wouldn't have any effect on the half shafts.

This seems to simply be an issue of the angle from the DU to the wheel hub wearing out the CV joint on the front half-shafts. The noise is annoying, but I've at least not heard of one actually failing. The lower you keep the vehicle, the less strain, but it obviously wears progressively. Mine's been getting worse and is very loud on standard height or even low while turning. Even accelerating straight on low makes noise now.

Reactions: EVTECH and vandacca
So which is it, the "foam "in tires or the "updated part"? Challenge with Tesla is that depending on who you talk to there is always a different answer.

Please keep us posted, thanks!
Here are list of things that was replaced today on my vehicle,

upload_2017-12-21_16-36-29.png

I didn't notice any vibration in "standard" setting while driving back from SC. I was recommended to keep the setting at low, though. Time will tell about the fix.