Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, just want to clarify: I have a November 2017 build Model X with about 1000 miles on it. Under hard acceleration I hear a rather obvious medium to high-pitched grinding noise coming from the front. I’ve never kept my foot on the accelerator long enough to hear it for more than a second as it’s a pretty off-putting sound! There may be some associated shudder/vibration but that is clearly not the most disturbing part of this. Do you guys think this is the same or different issue. I leave my suspension on standard all the time. TIA.

I own the X for about 60 days now and the car has been in the shop 3 times already for this same problem. First they thought the wheels needed balancing, then they replaced the half shafts. They called me Friday and said we need to replace the half shafts again! Never expected such a poor driving car.

Do you know what the relationship would be to less or no shudder when the suspension is set to low or very low vs the shudder on standard height. I guess this is where I have trouble thinking it's a half shaft. I don't see how ride height would relate.
Ride height affects the angle of the CV joints. Higher ride height increases the angle and increases the pressure/wear on the CV joints and half shafts.

When the half shafts on my X were replaced the SC told me to NEVER accelerate hard (Insane Mode) with the height above "Low". Read the first posts on this thread which I initiated.

Reactions: ohmman and cwerdna
Ride height affects the angle of the CV joints. Higher ride height increases the angle and increases the pressure/wear on the CV joints and half shafts.

When the half shafts on my X were replaced the SC told me to NEVER accelerate hard (Insane Mode) with the height above "Low". Read the first posts on this thread which I initiated.

So why isn't the car smart enough to not allow hard acceleration if the height isn't at the low setting instead of service people telling drivers not to do it? Confused?

service told us our shudder isn't so bad ... that we could wait 'till they have a (REAL) fix ... as some still go back to shudder after replacement. But man, this has been going on for quite a while now. As it is, the X has been in the shop for several things, & they say the headliner (falling down) replacement they'd orderd months ago - was used by another!! ... and now they can't even say when the next one will come in as their database shows '0' nationwide. So, when all the nickel & dime stuff is done, they suggest we return the loaner (S w/ ludicrous) and just drive our X 'as is'.
wow

service told us our shudder isn't so bad ... that we could wait 'till they have a (REAL) fix ... as some still go back to shudder after replacement. But man, this has been going on for quite a while now. As it is, the X has been in the shop for several things, & they say the headliner (falling down) replacement they'd orderd months ago - was used by another!! ... and now they can't even say when the next one will come in as their database shows '0' nationwide. So, when all the nickel & dime stuff is done, they suggest we return the loaner (S w/ ludicrous) and just drive our X 'as is'.
wow

I received the same response last week. Basically, unless your shuddering is really bad, or until Tesla comes up with a redesigned part, the SC won’t replace anything.

I thought the shudder on my X was bad, but the SC said it’s mild compared to other vehicles they’ve repaired. If I set the suspension to very low, I can barely feel it.