Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Whine Caused by gears, not motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

modelsgears.png

To elaborate on cinergi's posting, the Tesla electric motor is connected to the wheels via a single speed gear reduction unit, which is highlighted in the photo he posted. Most EVs are this way, to better match the torque characteristics of the motor with the wheel RPM needed for driving.

When I went from software 4.2 to 4.3 I noticed the drivetrain "whine" immediately after. I had driven home from work (about an hour) parked, ran the update while I went inside and changed, then came back to the car to run some errands. Bam! Immediately heard the noise. To be honest, it doesn't bother me, but when I upgraded to 4.4 the noise went away. Unless it's my imagination, they must have done something to the drive inverter software between updates.

aw crap, on Monday my car just starting making a flatulent whining noise when pulling > 200 kW. Some days it's loud, some days it's quiet, and some days it's not there at all, but I imagine something isn't right. :-(
The noise is a somewhat constant pitch (doesn't vary with RPM), and comes on suddenly and cuts out suddenly.

200kW? No wonder I haven't heard it. I'm very rarely over 80kW.:smile:

The high freq whine on hard acceleration, that I had when the car was brand new, is now gone and may have something to do with firmware upgrade to 4.4.

However, I now have a low freq hum starting at around 60 and there beyond 75. Not real load, but noticable and unpleasant. (oh, how our standards go up once we sttop driving an ICE and get into the MS!)

Anybody have this and what is Tesla saying?

200kW? No wonder I haven't heard it. I'm very rarely over 80kW.:smile:

Mine starts at 60kW and runs up to 180 kW. I can make it go on at 120 by pushing the pedal when going up hill. It starts out as a higher pitch, then drops lower, like a fluid valve opening that goes into harmonics. It is from under the big screen. I will not buy that this is gears.

Sometimes it won't sound, sometimes it is quieter, sometimes louder, but I think it is based on when the battery cooling valve opens. Just my humble opinion.

This is the noise I have been complaining about to Tesla for some time now and they have ignored my questions about it.

To me it sounds like a constant volume and constant frequency squeal at full throttle. It happens only occasionally. And it seems to happen during warmer weather and when the car is heavily loaded with three more people that you are trying to impress.

In my opinion, this noise is the same noise that the car I test drove at the amped up event made. When I commented on it the guy with me said that the noise was because this was a preproduction car and would not be there in the production version.

I think the noise is the motor controller going into oscillation when under heavy load.

In fact it sounds exactly like the sound my old RAV4EV used to make if you started very slowly from a dead stop. It would briefly squeal until about 2 MPH.

aw crap, on Monday my car just starting making a flatulent whining noise when pulling > 200 kW. Some days it's loud, some days it's quiet, and some days it's not there at all, but I imagine something isn't right. :-(
The noise is a somewhat constant pitch (doesn't vary with RPM), and comes on suddenly and cuts out suddenly.

This is the noise I have been complaining about to Tesla for some time now and they have ignored my questions about it.

To me it sounds like a constant volume and constant frequency squeal at full throttle. It happens only occasionally. And it seems to happen during warmer weather and when the car is heavily loaded with three more people that you are trying to impress.

In my opinion, this noise is the same noise that the car I test drove at the amped up event made. When I commented on it the guy with me said that the noise was because this was a preproduction car and would not be there in the production version.

I think the noise is the motor controller going into oscillation when under heavy load.

In fact it sounds exactly like the sound my old RAV4EV used to make if you started very slowly from a dead stop. It would briefly squeal until about 2 MPH.

I think I have this sound in my Mitsubishi i-MiEV when I floor it from 0 to about 40/50 kph. No fluid cooling of the battery in that car AFAIK, but of course there is an inverter...

It's a bit easier to hear the Tesla motor in the Rav4 when it's at your feet. So far, there have been three known motors that have been replaced in the 472 Rav4 EV's produced. Mine was the gear box, and it was LOUD and getting louder.

Another might be the inverter, as it only makes noise (louder than mine) on regen.

Yes, there is also an inverter "whine" under heavy load.

Here's a video of the noise in my car:

Toyota Rav4EV Tesla Motor Noise - YouTube

That's not at all the noise that suddenly appears for me.
The noise I hear is more like the noise you can make if you stretch the opening of a deflating balloon to deliberately make it squeal. It comes on suddenly. It disappears suddenly. It only happens under significant power (independent of torque).

It sounds like it's coming from the back right. My guess is something in the inverter is oscillating.

It wasn't doing it today.

RE: gear/drone noise at highway speeds.

Brought car into the service center for windshield replacement (FINALLY), and they also looked at the noise I get at highway speeds again since it wasn't fixed/diagnosed last time I brought it in around February. They isolated the noise to some kink? in the drive unit and basically just replaced that. Looking forward to picking up my car this afternoon!

TonyWilliams - just saw your video, yep, I had the exact same noise on my Model S at highway speeds both when applying any accel or when it was regen braking.

That's not at all the noise that suddenly appears for me.
The noise I hear is more like the noise you can make if you stretch the opening of a deflating balloon to deliberately make it squeal. It comes on suddenly. It disappears suddenly. It only happens under significant power (independent of torque).

It sounds like it's coming from the back right. My guess is something in the inverter is oscillating.

It wasn't doing it today.

For the record, that is the exact same noise, and a perfect description of the sound my car started to make at around 3k miles. It happens about 80% of the time on hard acceleration. I had the service center look at it, and they said it sounds the same as the new cars coming from the factory, but they would keep their eyes peeled for any other reports. If anybody here gets a resolution from Tesla on that noise *please* post the results here.

For the record, that is the exact same noise, and a perfect description of the sound my car started to make at around 3k miles. It happens about 80% of the time on hard acceleration. I had the service center look at it, and they said it sounds the same as the new cars coming from the factory, but they would keep their eyes peeled for any other reports. If anybody here gets a resolution from Tesla on that noise *please* post the results here.

My car basically stopped doing it on its own.
(yay!)