Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Whine Caused by gears, not motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise I hear is more like the noise you can make if you stretch the opening of a deflating balloon to deliberately make it squeal. It comes on suddenly. It disappears suddenly. It only happens under significant power (independent of torque).

That perfectly describes the noise mine started making today, one year after your post. Hope I read the solution on here somewhere.

My P85 started making that awful whine just over 4500 miles. Anytime over 200kwh acceleration and the more power the louder.
I just had the drive unit for another reason and thought the whine was part of it. Whine was still there after the drive unit change.
Took it back and they had a tech ride with me and he said that is normal. Something to do with the motor contacters. I hate the sound and if I do give a demo ride to someone it will be embarrassing.
Does anybody know if there is a cure?

I spoke to the local service center about something else. He knew I had stopped by to ask about the noise. He told me two technicians just went to CA for training on changing the battery contacters. He let me know that in a month or so even though it is normal they will try to make it better once the guys get back from training. No promises though if it will help as it is still deemed normal.
I am happy with that. I was actually surprised he even knew and they will make the effort. I love the folks at Tesla service. They go out of the way to help.

Could anyone get this problem fixed in the meantime?
We have had this high frequency noise (balloon squeal) on our 85 since driving back from Barcelona to Switzerland in Oct. 14 (after about 11'000 km). It might be coincidence, but almost simultaneously, the "drone" (low frequency noise depending at speeds >100km/h) started. The folks at the Tesla service center in Switzerland told me that they would fix the drone noise next spring, but couldn't do anything about the balloon squeal.

Normal maybe, but still, I prefer to get rid of it if possible. Did anyone manage to get it repaired?
I am also referring to posts such as 86 and 87 and others, which are over half a year old. Did anything come out of that?

When they swapped my drive unit for other things they moved the cables so it wouldn't sound as loud. It's muffled now. Much more subtle. Still there though.

My 2014 P85 is making the 'radio interference' whine at all speeds up to about 50mph. It's there at all times except when decelerating, and it's probably there throughout the speed range, but as the frequency rises with speed it's probably beyond my audible range above 50mph. It's very noticeable outside the car, particularly at low speeds, and it has not always been there. I have 33k+ miles on the odometer. It may be my imagination, but I suspect it's getting louder. I wouldn't want to use the car in demonstrations in this condition. Anyone had any fixes for this?

Reactions: markn455
My 2014 P85 is making the 'radio interference' whine at all speeds up to about 50mph. It's there at all times except when decelerating, and it's probably there throughout the speed range, but as the frequency rises with speed it's probably beyond my audible range above 50mph. It's very noticeable outside the car, particularly at low speeds, and it has not always been there. I have 33k+ miles on the odometer. It may be my imagination, but I suspect it's getting louder. I wouldn't want to use the car in demonstrations in this condition. Anyone had any fixes for this?

I have the same noise based on your description. The whine is mostly noticed at low speeds with light to normal acceleration. my engineering background tells me the noise is coming from the inverter. I will have the SC check it on my next scheduled maintenance appointment. I expect this is normal on my MS85.

I have the same noise based on your description. The whine is mostly noticed at low speeds with light to normal acceleration. my engineering background tells me the noise is coming from the inverter. I will have the SC check it on my next scheduled maintenance appointment. I expect this is normal on my MS85.

Many thanks Mark, I share your view, based on my own mechanical engineering experience, but this reassuring. Tesla's engineers' view will be interesting.