Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerator on lunch break

Yankees

May 28, 2015
Dallas
I turned it off after the second episode but considering it never happened before with it turned on, I suspect it’s something else.
It's not something else. It's not perfect, but better safe than sorry and run something/one over. Happens once in a while from a standstill. Don't lose sleep over it.

oreobbq

Jan 8, 2021
Houston
Don't think I've ever experienced this but it'd make a lot of sense for the car give a chime/alert of some kind so we'd know it's intentional. And show on the screen what obstacle it's trying to avoid.

Reactions: designrs

Rhytid

Dec 3, 2019
Maryland
It's not something else. It's not perfect, but better safe than sorry and run something/one over. Happens once in a while from a standstill. Don't lose sleep over it.
I wouldn’t have even thought much about it but it happened twice in a row (not consecutive starts from a stop but consecutive full acceleration) after never experiencing it before and in two completely distinct settings. Makes me think something has changed.

chasharris

Mar 28, 2020
London, UK
IMO it can be extremely dangerous and the reason why I turned it off. I was needing to cross the highway and accelerate fairly aggressively. I would accelerate right after a cross traffic car passed, but the car hardly moved. Once I figured out what setting caused this as there was no indication why, it has been off ever since. If the cross traffic was any faster I might have been in serious trouble. You expect the car to go when you step on the pedal.
Forgive me if I've missed the point, but I can't offhand think of a situation where not accelerating would be more dangerous than accelerating from stationary. Unless perhaps I was being chased by gangsters or rushing a very ill person to hospital. I drive in some of the heaviest traffic here in London and generally find it best to wait for a longer gap. Or have I not understood something here?

Reactions: father_of_6

designrs

Jun 24, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Forgive me if I've missed the point, but I can't offhand think of a situation where not accelerating would be more dangerous than accelerating from stationary. Unless perhaps I was being chased by gangsters or rushing a very ill person to hospital. I drive in some of the heaviest traffic here in London and generally find it best to wait for a longer gap. Or have I not understood something here?

I’d be concerned about getting away from the “peaceful protests” that we‘ve had here in the USA.

thor_2019

Jul 5, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Forward obstacle avoidance lol not rear.... The problem is the lack of forward danger and the car will NOT accelerate. Too many false positives.

I don’t need the Tesla nanny for forward visual from a stand still. If you are not paying attention here, sorry you are a not a very good driver.

father_of_6

Jan 24, 2021
Buffalo, NY
Forward obstacle avoidance lol not rear.... The problem is the lack of forward danger and the car will NOT accelerate. Too many false positives.

I don’t need the Tesla nanny for forward visual from a stand still. If you are not paying attention here, sorry you are a not a very good driver.

I disagee. You can find videos on Youtube of people attempting to pull into an intersection, their car stops, and another car flies through the red light and *would* have T'd them if the car didn't stop on its own.

I think we're all only guessing at the reason for this. Since there's no chime/alert, I still think it may not be as simple as collision avoidance.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC