Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerator relay clicking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the weather has been nice, I've been driving with the windows down and I'm hearing a prominent "click" when I press or release the accelerator. I'm guessing it's a power relay to the motor? Directly tied to pressing and releasing the pedal. It's not a continuous click-click-click, just the once. I mostly notice it at slow speeds or stop/go. I don't hear it when the windows are up, and I'm not sure if I can hear it when driving faster.

I don't recall hearing it before but honestly with the pandemic I didn't drive much the past two years... is this a normal sound or should I get in touch with service?

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
rear axle nut click. hopefully yours stays tightened, but mine came back within a few days. final fix was to lube the inner splines (the splines that go into the drive unit). I don't think Tesla lubes that part, but their procedures may have changed.

Closing the loop here; Tesla Service lubricated and tightened some bolts on the rear axle and the sound went away.
Did they send a mobile text or did you have to bring it in? My nearest SC is 1.5 hours away.

I might have the same issue. I notice a click somewhere towards the back of the car when I first hit the accelerator pedal and when I release the pedal and the regen kicks in.

rear axle nut click. hopefully yours stays tightened, but mine came back within a few days. final fix was to lube the inner splines (the splines that go into the drive unit). I don't think Tesla lubes that part, but their procedures may have changed.
Wonder if that is what I have. Is this a serious issue? Really don’t want to deal with going to the SC being that it is 1.5 hours away.

I Only started noticing it recently but that may be from me having the radio off for the first time…can’t really hear it with the radio up.

I took it in, service center was maybe 40 minutes away (not great but tolerable). Car has been fine since, so far.
At 1.5 hours, I imagine mobile service could do it
mobile service came out to mine when I first reported it. tightened the rear axle nuts, and my noise came back on my first trip out of the neighborhood.

back then (1+ year ago), mobile service was their first line of defense.

Also may have similar although it is intermittent.

I can feel a light click coming from under the accelerator when setting off from a standstill, but only every now and then.

Only experienced it the last few days, after the software update to whatever the latest one is.

Issue or non issue?

Since the weather has been nice, I've been driving with the windows down and I'm hearing a prominent "click" when I press or release the accelerator. I'm guessing it's a power relay to the motor? Directly tied to pressing and releasing the pedal. It's not a continuous click-click-click, just the once. I mostly notice it at slow speeds or stop/go. I don't hear it when the windows are up, and I'm not sure if I can hear it when driving faster.

I don't recall hearing it before but honestly with the pandemic I didn't drive much the past two years... is this a normal sound or should I get in touch with service?
Does anyone know if this is something that Tesla will do for free if you still have an active drivetrain warranty?