TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accent Headlight

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by jomo25, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

Hi, About 2 months after I got my 3, I noticed the driver-side headlight accent light (the thin bar light on the side of the headlight) was out. I’m sure I would have noticed it if it was delivered that way, so I assume it just went out at some point.

So, I took it to the SvC, and they looked at it, ordered a new headlight package and replaced it. (Unfortunately, I had clearbra’d my whole front end, so the new light needed to be redone.)

Well, that was about a month ago. And last week, lo and behold, I noticed the same light is out again! I haven’t called the SvC yet, but will at some point. At which point, I assume it’ll need to be replaced again.

It just seems weird for the same exact light to have gone out twice. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  2. Fusion

Fusion Member

I saw someone the other day with your same problem. I don't think he knew his was out.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Geeze. I'm going to check mine tonight.

4. dek526

dek526 Member

#4 dek526, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    crap...i just noticed mine is out too...hoping they won’t have to replace the entire housing as i have xpel on the headlight. wondering if you asked for some sort of compensation for the clearbra replacement as i’m assuming you had it redone again

5. jomo25

jomo25 Active Member

I didnt actually get around to getting the new light clear bra’d. In theory, Tesla should pay, and I recall my tinder saying they would. But I didnt ask. Not sure if I will bother, when I finally get another replacement...Let me know if you do and what Tesla says.

• Like x 1
  6. dek526

dek526 Member

i’ll find out on friday and report back

7. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

very common, mine had the accent dim around 3 months after delivery. i have seen a few, oddly enough always blue, on my commute with the same issue. same boat with the clear bra. thankfully the shop that installed it, reinstalled the headlight film without cost. saying its not your fault the car broke and you should not have to pay for that. xoxo sticker city.

i also told him i thought about asking tesla for re-embersment for the film but thought it was not worth the effort / time.

• Informative x 1
  8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Mine is out. Drivers side as well. It’s normally only on in the daytime along with the DRL’s.

9. dano9258

dano9258 Member

What light are you talking about? Can someone post a picture? I'm worried now but don't know what to look for

10. dek526

dek526 Member

courtesy of allenw3

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  11. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

Mine went out too, service center replaced it. I only noticed it because of the reflection from high profile cars ahead of me in traffic and my car was winking back at me. Seems as though this must be a very common issue.

• Like x 2
  12. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Just checked and mine is out too. Driver’s side...

• Like x 1
  13. mekberg

mekberg Member

Same issue here with my car and my co-workers. Mine is driver's side and his is passenger's.

• Informative x 1
  14. emorog

emorog Member

It's hard to get a decent comparison pic, but you can tell the LED strip is not lit on the passenger side here:
    [​IMG]

15. GoneCrazy

GoneCrazy Member

Funny, my (blue) Model 3 will be heading into the service center on Friday for this exact issue. Not sure if I'm relieved or bummed that it seems to be so sporadic.

Also, good call on the clearbra over the headlamp... Should I ask the service center about whether or not they will cover the replacement of it?

• Like x 1
  16. dek526

dek526 Member

i plan on asking ... worst case is that they say non oem part and won’t cover it

17. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

so, I looked again and it appears the accent strip is actually on, it's just pushed up behind the DRLs. So there's some kind of manufacturing defect that allows the strip to move around in there. Hopefully they come up with a fix.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. mekberg

mekberg Member

We're seeing this too.

• Like x 1
  19. dek526

dek526 Member

interesting...i didn’t inspect the strip that closely. oh wells...will find out tomorrow what svc says about the drl

• Helpful x 1
  20. sperkin

sperkin Member

Thanks to this thread, I checked my DRLs and my passenger side is out. It's been like this for awhile now since I only saw driver side reflections in windows but I always through it was the angle of the reflection.

• Informative x 1