Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accept Tesla trade-in value or wait until Carmax quote?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fam,

Ordered a LR white on white with sort wheels on 11/19. I uploaded my car for trade-in and received a quote from Tesla. I’ve heard via this forum and my SA that Carmax will give me more for my money and Tesla will match.

I am wondering: do I accept the Tesla value so I can move along in the process (registration/insurance) and hopefully expedite my delivery or should I wait until I get my delivery date to get a Carmax quote and update my SA with the new value?

I simply do not know if I accept the Tesla trade-in if they’d later accept Carmax. Any insight is appreciated.

Hi fam,

Ordered a LR white on white with sort wheels on 11/19. I uploaded my car for trade-in and received a quote from Tesla. I’ve heard via this forum and my SA that Carmax will give me more for my money and Tesla will match.

I am wondering: do I accept the Tesla value so I can move along in the process (registration/insurance) and hopefully expedite my delivery or should I wait until I get my delivery date to get a Carmax quote and update my SA with the new value?

I simply do not know if I accept the Tesla trade-in if they’d later accept Carmax. Any insight is appreciated.

My SA actually told me that after trade-in is accepted I can go to carmax and tell him about carmax offer so they can match it. But better confirm with yours.

Hi fam,

You always can take it to carmax to get checked but I know I got the same estimate from Carmax that I got from Tesla for my a6

You always can take it to carmax to get checked but I know I got the same estimate from Carmax that I got from Tesla for my a6

True. Carvana actually quoted me 1200 more than Tesla just now (more than I’d save in sales taxes by trading into Tesla) so for now I will just choose no trade-in and continue the steps. Will go this weekend to see what Carmax is offering.

True. Carvana actually quoted me 1200 more than Tesla just now (more than I’d save in sales taxes by trading into Tesla) so for now I will just choose no trade-in and continue the steps. Will go this weekend to see what Carmax is offering.

Maybe i'll try carvana one last time. My reevaluation after 30 days dropped my value like 1200 with Tesla so might see carmax myself one last time.

Many have been reporting pretty big drop in trade-in values after their initial price by Tesla and the 30 day price expires. I wouldn't do anything until you are 30 days out from your delivery as It's all null and moot by Tesla's 30 day expiry policy anyway.

Hi fam,

It is a mixed bag with Carmax. I have delt with them before including my latest trade. Tesla lowered my offer 1K after 30 days through no fault of my own and Carmax offer was worse, so I left their appraisal offer in the recycle bin. Tesla will honor the Carmax offer if presented to them. Take the chance if you have the time to invest in it but they have been low balling offers recently.

Reactions: George75
I wrote about my lease selling experience in this thread: Trade-in Bait and Switch

However, I do want to mention that when I got my Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom quotes, they all expired before I got a chance to make any final decisions. Given that Vroom was the highest one, I only chose to re-appraise with them and the amount they were offering me ended up being $300 more than the initial appraisal. It all depends on the demand for your vehicle.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
How do I find out who my SA is? I have a bid from my Cadillac dealer on my XTS for a straight sale that will net me my sales tax savings if I trade. Either way, it's a wash for me financially, but I would prefer to pull the trade and just pay in full. However, I don't want to do anything at this point that will delay the delivery. Better to just wait for my SA to contact me for the next step?

How do I find out who my SA is? I have a bid from my Cadillac dealer on my XTS for a straight sale that will net me my sales tax savings if I trade. Either way, it's a wash for me financially, but I would prefer to pull the trade and just pay in full. However, I don't want to do anything at this point that will delay the delivery. Better to just wait for my SA to contact me for the next step?

Find a nearby showroom and just call them. I have found whoever taking my call more helpful than my SA :/

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive
As johnnyboy wrote above, I also posted on his thread about my experience with trade in quotes for Tesla, CarMax, and most recently Carvana and all 3 were much different (CarMax being the lowest $ and Carvana being the highest).

I have to tell you, I have been very impressed (so far) with the way Carvona runs their business as it has been super easy with everything online. Reminds me how Tesla car buying is done 100% online.

Request Carvana for a quote and took a few seconds. Had to download ID, registration, and one other doc I forgot right now. That took maybe 2 minutes. Within 12 Hours I was able to schedule a pick up of the SUV this Sat morning at my home (could have been this morning but I was at work).

If they really come through Sat with a check of their quote I will follow up but, this has been so much better than wasting an hour and a half at CarMax and these stories with the 30 day valid from Tesla scares the hell out of me.

Tesla offered only $19,000 and sight unseen, and when I offered to bring it in - it is in great shape - they said all their appraisals are sight unseen for KBB Good Condition Trade in - regardless of actual condition. When I told her I already had an offer of $22,500, she said I should visit Car Max and make a decision based of what they tell me. She said Tesla was not interested in trade ins and made offers accordingly.
Anyhow, none of that matters. I did the payoff Monday, December 2, as soon as I get the title, estimated in 2 weeks, I will shop it around for a day and go from there....

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Many have been reporting pretty big drop in trade-in values after their initial price by Tesla and the 30 day price expires. I wouldn't do anything until you are 30 days out from your delivery as It's all null and moot by Tesla's 30 day expiry policy anyway.
Not true. The trade in department is honoring trade in values that were put in months ago. Just call and ask. Mine was valued in October. Lost 1.5k of value and a week ago they reversed it to the original offer

My BMW 5-Series was in awful shape and needed over $4k of work to pass inspection. Carmax would have gouged me, so I didn't waste my time. Tesla told me their price was final if I could simply show up with it in drive-able condition. It was so easy.
Heck, I was driving out the yard in my Model 3 when the SA chased me down to ask where my trade-in was parked. They hadn't even looked at it lol.