Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable Level of Underbody Damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC braintrust,

Yesterday my wife ran over "a chunk of the curb broken off onto the road". She brought it to me as soon as she heard something hitting the road while driving.

Photo is from the nose facing the rear. Sorry for the quality, it was done after she dropped it off at my work and took my vehicle...

My first look sees three points of "metal" damage beyond the plastic nose underbody shield.

1) A frame (not sure what part it actually is) above the plastic took a hit. More easily visible when looking through the driver tire.
2) The top/front lip of the HV battery cover underbody shield.
3) Scraping along the entire length of the HV battery cover underbody shield.

I have not yet contacted a service center (they were closed by the time I could take a look).

Anyone have insight on...
a) Is this damage to be concerned about? There has been no sign of leakage or error messages on the vehicle.
b) Cost of parts replacement? I figure I'm in for the plastic nose shield (or would it be crazy of me to just cut off the loose portion?), but digging around I had not seen anyone mention replacement of the HV cover.

As always, appreciate the info.

20200109_171631.jpg

I wouldnt think that the visible damage is a big deal at all. Obviously you have a chunk of hanging plastic that you want cut off. If you didnt get any warning notices than your battery is probably just fine. I'd be pissed about this but not worried about significant damage. You could make a police report and go through insurance and even try to get the town pay for the damage due to maintenance of the road. If it were me... I wouldnt pay out of pocket to have it repaired (minus insurance deductible) if you go that route. It's technically a motor vehicle collision.

EDIT - Actually I wouldnt cut off the hanging plastic, I'd see if I could secure back in place somehow (lots of gorilla tape) for aerodynamics I suppose

That right most circle of damage appears to be near the battery. Batteries that are damaged can spontaneously combust.

Out of an abundance of caution, I would drive or maybe even just have it flat bedded to the service center. I would not park it in side any buildings.