Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceptable XPEL XR Plus Install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just wanted some opinions on the tinting on my 2020 Telsa Model 3. I requested and paid for XPEL XR Plus 20% all around and 70% on the windshield. This is the first time I have asked for a windshield to be tinted so I'm not sure if this a normal result.

Previously, I had Llumar Stratos or Formula 1 but I had to remove them due to changing registrations. A few concerns are around the edges, the containments on the front windshield, and the bubbling on the rear due to the defroster lines. The installer never explained to me that they would be installing 3M film on the rear -- my documentation states XPEL XR PLUS was used all around.

I wanted gauge with everyone else's tinting experience if this is acceptable. Thanks for the help!

If your installation was completed more than a week ago, that is pure trash. Even the edges on the windows don’t look great to me.

Sometimes imperfections will work their way out after a few days.

If you were expecting XPel and got 3M, that also seems strange. Sounds like a call to the shop is in order.

Well your first problem is they installed 3M on the back instead of what you paid for. And no the tint on the windshield and back are not acceptable, too many contaminants. I understand if few dirt nibs here and there as no tint is perfect but hair in tint or in PPF in general is not industry standard acceptable. Get a refund and go elsewhere or redo.

Thank you for the feedback. Definitely it was a red flag when I saw 3M on the rear instead of the XPEL XR PLUS. The invoice even states XPEL all around. I called the shop earlier today and they recently got back to me. They explained that the 3M film has the same specs and XPEL XR Plus is on a 2 week back order so they decided to use the 3M film in place of it. I replied that if there were changes in the tint manufacturer then I should have been notified. Shop owner is ordering and will replace the rear window when XPEL XR Plus comes in. I agree the edges on the windows are not good and inconsistent.

All of the tinting was completed yesterday. The shop has positive reviews on google and on yelp. They are listed on XPEL's authorized installer list so I'm really disappointed in the quality of the installation.

Thank you for the feedback. Definitely it was a red flag when I saw 3M on the rear instead of the XPEL XR PLUS. The invoice even states XPEL all around. I called the shop earlier today and they recently got back to me. They explained that the 3M film has the same specs and XPEL XR Plus is on a 2 week back order so they decided to use the 3M film in place of it. I replied that if there were changes in the tint manufacturer then I should have been notified. Shop owner is ordering and will replace the rear window when XPEL XR Plus comes in. I agree the edges on the windows are not good and inconsistent.

All of the tinting was completed yesterday. The shop has positive reviews on google and on yelp. They are listed on XPEL's authorized installer list so I'm really disappointed in the quality of the installation.

There is no situation I can think of, where it would be acceptable for a tint company to swap one tint type / brand I was quoted (and am paying for) for a different one because they "say its the same", without telling me.

That is absolutely, positively, 100% not ok, and indicates thats how they do business. I would (politely) ask them to remove it, provide a full refund, take my business elsewhere, and tell anyone I knew to avoid that shop.

I wouldnt be aggressive with them or anything, because I would want it removed and my money back, but there is NO SITUATION in which a tint place can substitute one tint for another on my vehicle, and NOT TELL ME until I notice it AFTER the vehicle is tinted.

Their willingness to do this tells me all I need to know about that place, and stamps it as a place to absolutely 100% avoid.

Last edited:
I called the shop earlier today and they recently got back to me. They explained that the 3M film has the same specs and XPEL XR Plus is on a 2 week back order so they decided to use the 3M film in place of it. I replied that if there were changes in the tint manufacturer then I should have been notified. Shop owner is ordering and will replace the rear window when XPEL XR Plus comes in. I agree the edges on the windows are not good and inconsistent.

I'm also curious what shop did this. We have an appt in mid-August for PPF, tint and ceramic. A Plus Auto Styling, Forest Hill, MD.

Also curious what percent tint you used on the windows. We went with 45%.

There is no situation I can think of, where it would be acceptable for a tint company to swap one tint type / brand I was quoted (and am paying for) for a different one because they "say its the same", without telling me.

That is absolutely, positively, 100% not ok, and indicates thats how they do business. I would (politely) ask them to remove it, provide a full refund, take my business elsewhere, and tell anyone I knew to avoid that shop.

I wouldnt be aggressive with them or anything, because I would want it removed and my money back, but there is NO SITUATION in which a tint place can substitute one tint for another on my vehicle, and NOT TELL ME until I notice it AFTER the vehicle is tinted.

Their willingness to do this tells me all I need to know about that place, and stamps it as a place to absolutely 100% avoid.

I realized that in my indignation that a shop would change product that was agreed upon without telling you, I never answered the question. I have never had a tint job that looked like that, myself. If the shop did not attempt to swap product on you, I would be firmly in the camp of "let them try to fix it", but as I said in my quoted post, swapping product without telling you ahead of time, and not telling you about it, isnt ok.

Its an entirely different thing if they had called you and said:

"we dont have enough of product A to do your job, so we propose product B, because we feel it performs similarly, and we price them both the same. Let us know if this is ok with you and we will move forward".

Just swapping it, they lose all benefit of the doubt, and "work with us" in my opinion. Being as how I have either performed, or managed people who perform, customer service roles my entire career (more than 30 years), I have strong feelings about this, and its not ok.

Last edited:
I realized that in my indignation that a shop would change product that was agreed upon without telling you, I never answered the question. I have never had a tint job that looked like that, myself. If the shop did not attempt to swap product on you, I would be firmly in the camp of "let them try to fix it", but as I said in my quoted post, swapping product without telling you ahead of time, and not telling you about it, isnt ok.

Its an entirely different thing if they had called you and said:

"we dont have enough of product A to do your job, so we propose product B, because we feel it performs similarly, and we price them both the same. Let us know if this is ok with you and we will move forward".

Just swapping it, they lose all benefit of the doubt, and "work with us" in my opinion. Being as how I have either performed, or managed people who perform, customer service rolls my entire career (more than 30 years), I have strong feelings about this, and its not ok.
I absolutely agree. This installer did not attempt to tell me the product swap when I picked up a car later that afternoon. When I scheduled the appointment they should have checked their inventory on hand or even on the day that I brought my car to the shop I should have been informed. By the way, I made this appointment a week ago so there is really no excuse.

I appreciate the insight and advice. I contacted them again and at first they would only do 50% refund and removal. Eventually, they increased the refund to $675 because "they are wasting $1000 worth of tint and labor resources". I paid $975 for this tint service.

Can you tell us where you got it done?
I'm also curious what shop did this. We have an appt in mid-August for PPF, tint and ceramic. A Plus Auto Styling, Forest Hill, MD.

Also curious what percent tint you used on the windows. We went with 45%.
All I can say is they are an XPEL authorized installer in MD.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is they are an XPEL authorized installer in, MD.

Thanks.

I'm curious about the window tint install. From your pictures it was clear the tint stopped 1/4 to 3/8-inch from the edge of the window. Is this normal? Although I didn't ask when I booked my appointment in Forest Hill, I'm expecting the window tint to reach the edge of each window.

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely agree. This installer did not attempt to tell me the product swap when I picked up a car later that afternoon. When I scheduled the appointment they should have checked their inventory on hand or even on the day that I brought my car to the shop I should have been informed. By the way, I made this appointment a week ago so there is really no excuse.

I appreciate the insight and advice. I contacted them again and at first they would only do 50% refund and removal. Eventually, they increased the refund to $675 because "they are wasting $1000 worth of tint and labor resources". I paid $975 for this tint service.

All I can say is they are an XPEL authorized installer in Columbia, MD.
Whew. I was gonna go there since the place I usually get my cars tinted closed. Not anymore.

Edit: apparently this isn't the same place. Good though.

All I can say is they are an XPEL authorized installer in , MD.

I would recommend you not post who it is publicly till you have the removal done and whatever credit's you agreed to in hand. The reason I make that recommendation is simply because you dont want them to "hear you are blasting them on social networking sites" before they give you your money back and remove the tint.

After you finish conducting business with them (tint removal, money in hand), feel free to update people. This is a big enough website that if you name names now, it likely would get back to them, and it wouldnt be that hard for them to figure out who YOU are based on the story.

just my .02

Last edited:
Hi,

I just wanted some opinions on the tinting on my 2020 Telsa Model 3. I requested and paid for XPEL XR Plus 20% all around and 70% on the windshield. This is the first time I have asked for a windshield to be tinted so I'm not sure if this a normal result.

Previously, I had Llumar Stratos or Formula 1 but I had to remove them due to changing registrations. A few concerns are around the edges, the containments on the front windshield, and the bubbling on the rear due to the defroster lines. The installer never explained to me that they would be installing 3M film on the rear -- my documentation states XPEL XR PLUS was used all around.

I wanted gauge with everyone else's tinting experience if this is acceptable. Thanks for the help!

I sure hope you paid with a credit card. You really need to take it somewhere else. These guys are criminal to hold themselves out as professional installers. Completely unacceptable. Good luck!

Thanks.

I'm curious about the window tint install. From your pictures it was clear the tint stopped 1/4 to 3/8-inch from the edge of the window. Is this normal? Although I didn't ask when I booked my appointment in Forest Hill, I'm expecting the window tint to reach the edge of each window.
I have another Tesla at home with a Llumar tint and the tint reaches close to the edge of the window (see photo - this is not the same vehicle that I'm having tint issues with). If you look at my original post photos, you'll see how bad it is in comparison. When I brought it up, they explained it was the machine cut and that it is normal. Definitely not.

I would recommend you not post who it is publicly till you have the removal done and whatever credit's you agreed to in hand. The reason I make that recommendation is simply because you dont want them to "hear you are blasting them on social networking sites" before they give you your money back and remove the tint.

After you finish conducting business with them (tint removal, money in hand), feel free to update people. This is a big enough website that if you name names now, it likely would get back to them, and it wouldnt be that hard for them to figure out who YOU are based on the story.

just my .02
You're right. Thank you.
I sure hope you paid with a credit card. You really need to take it somewhere else. These guys are criminal to hold themselves out as professional installers. Completely unacceptable. Good luck!
I did pay with a credit card. I'm just hoping they don't mess up the defrost lines when they remove the tint.

Attachments

• IMG_5912.JPG
    IMG_5912.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 262
The tint should be flush with the edge of the windows. If a naked line is visible, such as this tint job, it's a poor installation. A very small line is okay.

I have Photosync installed and there is no line and no space in the corner. The installer is one of the best in my area with 25 years under his belt. This is my second vehicle tinted from there and the first install was just as flush on the edges.

Sorry it happened to you, OP, but that tint job is trash. ☹️

When I hear "the machine cuts them that way" from a tint shop, or "we only do machine cut tint", for me, thats the same thing as a painter using painters tape to cut in edges when painting your walls.

An experienced painter doesnt need painters tape. An experienced tinter can do custom cut better than the computer, and apply it without damage.

Hi,

Thank you for choosing XPEL. But sorry that you were not completely satisfied with the results, certified XPEL installers are trained to avoid mistakes such as this.

I am in a similar situation on my 2021 and I filed a case with Xpel on a lousy install and I don't want to go back to that installer so I am waiting on Xpel to send me to another authorized installer to fix but its been radio silence so I'm probably SOL.

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
I am in a similar situation on my 2021 and I filed a case with Xpel on a lousy install and I don't want to go back to that installer so I am waiting on Xpel to send me to another authorized installer to fix but its been radio silence so I'm probably SOL.
What was wrong with the install? I have a big piece of dirt on my rear glass and some uneven cuts on the side that annoy me. (Just wondering what the lifetime warranty really covers)

Reactions: techlogik