Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Access Denied error from Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started seeing the following Access Denied error whenever I launch the Tesla app (3.10.13) on my iPad:

023D690B-9091-44AA-8FAF-B6A597AD5154.jpeg

I’ve force quit the app and restarted my iPad, but no luck. iPad is running iOS 14.6.

My iPhone has Tesla app 3.10.12 and iOS 14.6, and the app works fine there.

I’ll try deleting the app and reinstalling it, but I’ve never seen this issue and wondered if anyone else has.

Update: Deleting and reinstalling didn’t help.

I’m using 3.10.13 of the app. I tried logging in from the browser as you suggested, and I get the same error there, for any page on tesla.com. On my iPhone, both the app and browser work.

It might have something to do with the VPN I’m using (NordVPN), but I’m using that on both devices, and never had a problem with Tesla access with the VPN before.

I’m using 3.10.13 of the app. I tried logging in from the browser as you suggested, and I get the same error there, for any page on tesla.com. On my iPhone, both the app and browser work.

It might have something to do with the VPN I’m using (NordVPN), but I’m using that on both devices, and never had a problem with Tesla access with the VPN before.
If you think it's your VPN, you can go into the NordVPN settings and enable split tunneling. Then select the app you want to tunnel. This will allow that app to bypass the VPN. I had to do this with my voicemail app because it would never connect to the voicemail server when I was connected to the VPN.

I use NordVPN on my phone and have had no issues with the Tesla app through a VPN. Sounds more like you have a login credential issue.

Reactions: Rachmaninov
Turns out it was a NordVPN issue. I wasn’t even getting to the point where I could enter credentials — any page on tesla.com would immediately display the error. Since it was working on my iPhone with NordVPN, I compared the NordVPN settings on my iPhone with my iPad, and noticed they were using different VPN servers. I disconnected NordVPN on my iPad and reconnected to a different VPN server, and the problem disappeared in both the browser and Tesla app. All is good. 🙂

Turns out it was a NordVPN issue. I wasn’t even getting to the point where I could enter credentials — any page on tesla.com would immediately display the error. Since it was working on my iPhone with NordVPN, I compared the NordVPN settings on my iPhone with my iPad, and noticed they were using different VPN servers. I disconnected NordVPN on my iPad and reconnected to a different VPN server, and the problem disappeared in both the browser and Tesla app. All is good. 🙂
I would enable split tunneling in the Nord app then. That will solve this issue you are having while not needing to turn off your VPN.

I had this same issue with Nord a while ago before my Tesla. I couldn’t gain access to my bank account. I disabled the VPN, and all was good thereafter.

I had this same issue with Nord a while ago before my Tesla. I couldn’t gain access to my bank account. I disabled the VPN, and all was good thereafter.
Not really the same issue. I can usually access the Tesla servers with NordVPN, but for some reason I couldn’t when using a particular VPN server (my iPhone was using a different NordVPN server and there was no issue there). When I connected to a different VPN server the problem disappeared.

I’ve never been able to access Bank of America via the browser or their app when using NordVPN, which sounds like your issue.

I started seeing the following Access Denied error whenever I launch the Tesla app (3.10.13) on my iPad:

View attachment 671020

I’ve force quit the app and restarted my iPad, but no luck. iPad is running iOS 14.6.

My iPhone has Tesla app 3.10.12 and iOS 14.6, and the app works fine there.

I’ll try deleting the app and reinstalling it, but I’ve never seen this issue and wondered if anyone else has.

Update: Deleting and reinstalling didn’t help.

- - - -
I was having the same issue for the last week. I solved it by going into my VPN settings and changing the location of the VPN server I was going through. It works fine now.
Steve

Reactions: CaliSurfer
If you think it's your VPN, you can go into the NordVPN settings and enable split tunneling. Then select the app you want to tunnel. This will allow that app to bypass the VPN. I had to do this with my voicemail app because it would never connect to the voicemail server when I was connected to the VPN.

I use NordVPN on my phone and have had no issues with the Tesla app through a VPN. Sounds more like you have a login credential issue.
Can you please tell me how to do this? I’m having the same issue as OP.

Hey guys. Im having the same issues with my German Tesla Account. It seems that your account might get flagged when you login normally and then try to login with a vpn. From that point onward the whole Tesla site is getting blocked until you delete your browsers cache, cookies etc.
But as soon as you try to login into your flagged account again, you get blocked. No idea how to solve it. Gotta have to contact my agent next week. I doubt this issue will solve itself

Hey guys. Im having the same issues with my German Tesla Account. It seems that your account might get flagged when you login normally and then try to login with a vpn. From that point onward the whole Tesla site is getting blocked until you delete your browsers cache, cookies etc.
But as soon as you try to login into your flagged account again, you get blocked. No idea how to solve it. Gotta have to contact my agent next week. I doubt this issue will solve itself
Hey .. I am not using any VPN but got into the same problem .. and my app is having connection error lol

I'm having the same issue today. It started yesterday when trying to log into my account I couldn't get in. I did a password reset and I still couldn't get in. Today when I tried to go to my account I get an access denied page. I tried opening my app today and I also get an access denied. I am not using a vpn.

I get this error when accessing shop.tesla.com from my desktop computer with any browser, but works on my network from my iPhone, tablets, etc. The Tesla app on iOS works fine also. Same result when using a VPN or not. I have cleared every imaginable cache, both application and system level, all with the same results. I have reported it using the online feedback forms, but of course, all with no response from the Tesla robots/AI/pseudo-human types.