TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Access Fuse Box

Discussion in 'Model X' started by teeng, Oct 26, 2018.

1. teeng

teeng New Member

I have a need to replace one of the fuse for ODB-II port; however, I had had time to locate where the fuse box is and how to access it. I found couple of video/threads but it was for the older MX model. My MX built on Dec/17 and I think it the fuse is under of the main console, but can't find any video or instruction how to remove the side carpet to access it. Please help.

Thanks

2. Nuclear Fusion

From around the 17 minute mark

3. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

When I we blew a fuse in our X - Tesla's phone support could not provide any assistance in locating the fuse box. They said we would need to take the vehicle into a Service Center - where they were able to get the fuse replaced quickly, replacing the fuse from underneath the steering wheel.

This is the first vehicle I've owned that doesn't document the fuse box locations and circuits.

4. Nuclear Fusion

I think it’s part protection of the electronics & part monopolisation of the service market

5. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

More likely the first.

Musk claims Tesla service is not intended to be generating profit - and the Service Centers are swamped handling the tsunami of new Tesla owners.

The fuse box in the front trunk is relatively easy to reach. The one under the interior dashboard could be easier to reach - and probably something they should do.

Though, unlike an ICE, the electrical system is mission critical for EVs - so it may make sense for a service center to verify there isn't something else going on that could impact the electrical system, when they replace the fuse.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Christine600

Christine600 Supporting Member

Or they know that pulling random fuses could destroy your cars functions:

7. teeng

teeng New Member

Thanks all for your great comments/video how to access fuse box. Is it safe to pull the broken fuse and replace a new one? Is there any procedures need to be performed before pulling out broken fuse?

Thanks