Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Access to inside of rear quarter panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks

I want to experiment with some methods for applying my HOV sticker via magnets on the rear quarter panel. I've never been one to tinker much with cars but I consider myself pretty capable .... but I'm nervous to just go at without some guidance on my model s.

can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to do to get access to the underside of the rear quarter panel?

thanks

sam

Hey folks

I want to experiment with some methods for applying my HOV sticker via magnets on the rear quarter panel. I've never been one to tinker much with cars but I consider myself pretty capable .... but I'm nervous to just go at without some guidance on my model s.

can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to do to get access to the underside of the rear quarter panel?

thanks

sam

I don't think magnets work on aluminum, which is what the rear quarter panels are made of.

I had HOV stickers on my Prius and hated them. I just don't like "bumper stickers" on my car. I really don't want to put them on the Model S but also don't want the ticket. Some Prius owners have used magnetic sheet material trimmed to the size of the sticker so they could attach the stickers while driving but that won't work directly with aluminum.

It's too bad there isn't a license plate style that indicates the status so no stickers are necessary.

I'm not exactly sure where you would like to put it. some of this sheet metal and the bumper are accessible from inside the wheel wells. This is mostly close to the wheel and the body color portion of the bumper side.

To access these areas you have to remove the wheel. Pull the plastic retainer plugs by prying up their centers(there are about ten of these and some of them are underneath the car). Unscrew the two 10mm plastic nuts in the upper portions of the wheel well liner, and remove the 10mm screws from the diffuser fin behind the wheel.

I don't have any pictures of this but it is not too hard. Also in this area behind the bumper side is the location of the car drafters that allow cabin air out they are a source of some road noise in the cabin on rough road surfaces. If you would like to mount it higher up on the panel you will have to access it from inside the car under the carpet liner.

I just don't want the ugly things on my car all the time. I want to put them on when I need them for my longer commutes in traffic (I live in SoCal and I'm in sales).

Agree that those stickers are butt ugly. If I lived in CA, just like you I'd be trying to find a solution. The suggestion about a magnetic sheet is a very good one. You'd just have to glue some opposing magnets on the inside of the panel. That's probably what I'd do.

Has anyone done this successfully? I bought some thin 26 ga sheet metal and cut out a piece to match the HOV sticker. After I flatten it outa d smooth the edges, I plan to wrap it with clear bra material so it won't mar the paint. I have some very strong rare earth disk magnets that I would like to glue to the inside of the bumper or the rear hatch (near the license plate since the space is flat and easy to see).

The magnets are definitely strong enough to keep the metal plate/sticker on there while driving. My only question is whether you can get access to the inside of the hatch or bumper to attach the magnets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375457185.948112.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375457202.365143.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375457223.114513.jpg