Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Access to the heater assembly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service ended up replacing my 1st gen DCDC converter heater fuse. I personally replaced the heater core too as a precaution. The PTC heater core replacement went well. It's hidden behind the MCU in the passenger footwell. Lots of trim to remove to get there. DCDC Converter is located behind and under passenger wheel well. If you look for the Model S service manual online you will find how to access and remove/replace almost everything.

I installed the a replacement heater core in my 2014 MS RWD and is works great now!! I would say it was moderately difficult, mostly because of my lack of confidence working with high voltage electrical. A few comments I would add;

When shutting down the power to the car, disconnect the negative battery terminal, and then disconnect the emergency loop next to the battery. No need to cut the wire! There is a red clip on the side of the connector that slides out about 1.5 cm and then it disconnects. I felt safe knowing that there were two things disconnected that prevent the high voltage from flowing.

I have a gen-2 Dc/DC converter, which is located behind the frunk connected to the firewall of the car. It is actually much easier to access than the gen-1 DC/DC located in the passanger wheel well. I actually thought it was there and took most of the lining out around the wheel before realizing it wasn't there! To access 2nd-gen converter, you don't need to remove the whole frunk, just the rear section in the space were the 2nd electric motor would be located. The heater plug is on the far right side of the DC/DC converter and you will recognize the orange plug right in the top of the converter next to the other items.

However, I actually did not need to replace the orange high voltage wire or access the DC/DC converter at all. I also didn't need tether or re-run the high voltage wire...I simply left it in place and re-used it. This is the most efficient thing to do. This is because the high voltage wire is connected inside the heat core with two 10mm lock nuts and grounded with a small phillips screw. So, when removing the old heat core, simply remove the cover (held on by simple clips) unscrew high voltage cable, and re-attach it on the new heater core. This saves a lot of time of having to tear down the frunk and fish a new wire.
Hi, Did you had to replace the 40AMP fuse inside the Gen2 DC/DC converter? If so, did you had to take the whole unit out or were able to open it in place to replace the fuse? Thanks Rajeev

Tesla service ended up replacing my 1st gen DCDC converter heater fuse. I personally replaced the heater core too as a precaution. The PTC heater core replacement went well. It's hidden behind the MCU in the passenger footwell. Lots of trim to remove to get there. DCDC Converter is located behind and under passenger wheel well. If you look for the Model S service manual online you will find how to access and remove/replace almost everything.
Hi, Are you able to share how much Tesla charged for replacing the DCDC converter heater fuse? Also was this before or after you replaced the heater core? FYI - I am thinking of doing the same but not sure if TESLA will replace the fuse if I replace the heater in advance.

Many Thanks,
Rajeev

Hi, Are you able to share how much Tesla charged for replacing the DCDC converter heater fuse? Also was this before or after you replaced the heater core? FYI - I am thinking of doing the same but not sure if TESLA will replace the fuse if I replace the heater in advance.

Many Thanks,
Rajeev
Approx $950CAD. They replaced a few fuses in there and resealed with new sealant. This was after I replaced the PTC heater core myself.

Approx $950CAD. They replaced a few fuses in there and resealed with new sealant. This was after I replaced the PTC heater core myself.

Many Thanks,
Rajeev
The thing is, is it the heater core that is short circuit (in which case, if you replace the fuse, it'll just blow again when you reconnect the heater core) or is it just the core not working. In my case, it was both: the heater core was short, which bown the fuse.
An independent garage specialized in servicing EVs identified both problems and replaced the fuse for 400CAD. They didn't reconnect the shorted core to avoid blowing the fuse again, but had to put back the (modified) plug so a contact loop is satisfied and the car allows you to drive. And then I changed the heater core myself, see above.

Last edited:
The thing is, is it the heater core that is short circuit (in which case, if you replace the fuse, it'll just blow again when you reconnect the heater core) or is it just the core not working. In my case, it was both: the heater core was short, which bown the fuse.
An independent garage specialized in servicing EVs identified both problems and replaced the fuse for 400CAD. They didn't reconnect the shorted core to avoid blowing the fuse again, but had to put back the (modified) plug so a contact loop is satisfied and the car allows you to drive. And then I changed the heater core myself, see above.
Thanks. I have just replaced the PTC heater core and now charging up the 12V battery (should have disconnected it as per the instructions) . So will soon find out if the fuse in the front DC Junction box needs to be replaced as well. I have purchased the new fuse, but not sure how to open the junction box as the top plate with screws is facing the firewall!

Thanks. I have just replaced the PTC heater core and now charging up the 12V battery (should have disconnected it as per the instructions) . So will soon find out if the fuse in the front DC Junction box needs to be replaced as well. I have purchased the new fuse, but not sure how to open the junction box as the top plate with screws is facing the firewall!
In my case (MS 2013), the DCDC converter has the connectors facing the outside and directly accessible, so I can't tell for you. But it has cooling hoses connected to it, so I was not willing to remove it to change the fuse myself.

Last month I replaced the PTC fuse for A Model X and the backward bolts are fun job indeed, they also have a sort of loctite on them (I believe they share the same forward HVJB) Dropped my wrench behind the drive unit onto the battery but it worked out eventually. Think the Model S is a little bit easier to access

Front HVJB isn't the same as Model X as I found out yesterday...

And did you need to change the fuse afterwards?

yes, the fuse was blown in the front DC Junction box as well. It was not easy to get to from front as it's is "designed" to be accessed from the bottom of the car by removing the battery pack. Also I originally brought the wrong PTC heater from eBay (1060432-00-E) but my car UK Model S 2017 had 107612-00-B, so it didn't work even after replacing the blown fuse. So I purchased the latest revision of my original part from Tesla, which is 1072612-00-D and it worked fine with the new fuse.

The replacement fuse I used was BUSSMANN BY EATON FWP-40A14F FUSE, 40A, SEMICONDUCTOR, HI SPEED

please be careful with the high voltage cables when you remove them as the part of the connector comes off if the red tab is not pulled out and small notch pressed to release the lock.

I still have the used 1060432-00-E I purchased from eBay available if someone needs it.

Attachments

• Model S Frunk removed.jpg
    Model S Frunk removed.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Model S 2017 Front Junction Box.jpg
    Model S 2017 Front Junction Box.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
yes, the fuse was blown in the front DC Junction box as well. It was not easy to get to from front as it's is "designed" to be accessed from the bottom of the car by removing the battery pack. Also I originally brought the wrong PTC heater from eBay (1060432-00-E) but my car UK Model S 2017 had 107612-00-B, so it didn't work even after replacing the blown fuse. So I purchased the latest revision of my original part from Tesla, which is 1072612-00-D and it worked fine with the new fuse.

The replacement fuse I used was BUSSMANN BY EATON FWP-40A14F FUSE, 40A, SEMICONDUCTOR, HI SPEED

please be careful with the high voltage cables when you remove them as the part of the connector comes off if the red tab is not pulled out and small notch pressed to release the lock.

I still have the used 1060432-00-E I purchased from eBay available if someone needs it.
Ah, good to hear it's working again. To bad about the wrong PTC, I did some part nr swapping swapping with PTC heaters before but that worked out strangely, guess I was lucky or your used one was broken?

To bad you don't have AWD since it is even more fun to access the FJB 😜

I think Tesla officially drops the HV pack when they need to swap a fuse on a 2016 and later AWD S but I didn't have that luxury

Reactions: Rajeev
Ah, good to hear it's working again. To bad about the wrong PTC, I did some part nr swapping swapping with PTC heaters before but that worked out strangely, guess I was lucky or your used one was broken?

To bad you don't have AWD since it is even more fun to access the FJB 😜

I think Tesla officially drops the HV pack when they need to swap a fuse on a 2016 and later AWD S but I didn't have that luxury

How did you get access to the fjb on a 2016 S? Seems right in there. Obviously dropping the hv pack is out of the question for at home service. Would appreciate some pointers if you've done it. Thanks!

How did you get access to the fjb on a 2016 S? Seems right in there. Obviously dropping the hv pack is out of the question for at home service. Would appreciate some pointers if you've done it. Thanks!

It's doable but it's not really a beginners job, do this at your own risk.

First remove all regular stuff from top side to get some access incl. Fireman loop and 12v
Then remove all connectors you need to get some more clearance, fuses are on the rear.
Now fun part starts.
Remove all 3 or 4 mounting screws from fjb and do not drop them.
Remove rear cover bolts from fjb, my advise will be to start with the hardest ones to reach first so you know if you can reach them all.
Make sure HV is 0.0v and replace fuse.

Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cheburashka
It's doable but it's not really a beginners job, do this at your own risk.

First remove all regular stuff from top side to get some access incl. Fireman loop and 12v
Then remove all connectors you need to get some more clearance, fuses are on the rear.
Now fun part starts.
Remove all 3 or 4 mounting screws from fjb and do not drop them.
Remove rear cover bolts from fjb, my advise will be to start with the hardest ones to reach first so you know if you can reach them all.
Make sure HV is 0.0v and replace fuse.

Good luck.

Do you know if there is a way to check the fuse on the PTC side? Wondering if I can check it without having to remove the FJB altogether.