Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Access with Energy Saving On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a road trip this winter where I'll be visiting friends in some areas with fewer chargers and would like to reduce my vampire loss. But I want to be sure that I can still access my MS from my iPhone (assuming there is AT&T service) if needed for some reason. I've checked the manual, and it seems ambiguous.

If I max out energy saving by turning Energy Saving ON and uncheck the Always Connected box, can I still access the car with my iPhone? Has anyone done this in the wild? Is it just slower?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm planning a road trip this winter where I'll be visiting friends in some areas with fewer chargers and would like to reduce my vampire loss. But I want to be sure that I can still access my MS from my iPhone (assuming there is AT&T service) if needed for some reason. I've checked the manual, and it seems ambiguous.

If I max out energy saving by turning Energy Saving ON and uncheck the Always Connected box, can I still access the car with my iPhone? Has anyone done this in the wild? Is it just slower?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
You could do that. Responsiveness via the Tesla App will just be much slower... sometimes seconds, but possibly minutes before it wakes up.

My suggestion is to keep Energy Savings ON, but Always Connected Checked. I went through the 4 variations on separate days last Fall, and "the cost" of Always Connected on was between 0-2 rated range miles of vampire loss per day on my S90D, and I had near immediate access via my Tesla App if I wanted it. (Energy Savings OFF cost another 6-8 miles/day. ...and before someone jumps in, yes there is variability in those ranges... some real, some I suspect are simple rounding errors as only integers are displayed on the IC, and it's what I used for measuring in my more naive early ownership days.)

• Informative
Reactions: Boatguy