Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessing Public Wifi for Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice welcomed for how to access public wifi (e.g. local library) for Tesla software update?

Problem seems to be that public wifi nearly always has a 'terms and conditions' splash page that needs to be clicked through in order to establish the wifi connection. Tesla cars, when accessing wifi networks, however, cannot 'see' that splash page like a laptop or cell phone and therefore times out and prevents a public wifi connection because the 'terms and conditions' page cannot be accepted as with a laptop.

This is an important issue for city dwellers who cannot access home-based wifi connections for software upgrades and who live miles from the nearest Tesla service center where they can access the wifi.

Have any Tesla owner city dwellers been able to find a work-around for this issue?

thanks!

Any advice welcomed for how to access public wifi (e.g. local library) for Tesla software update?

Problem seems to be that public wifi nearly always has a 'terms and conditions' splash page that needs to be clicked through in order to establish the wifi connection. Tesla cars, when accessing wifi networks, however, cannot 'see' that splash page like a laptop or cell phone and therefore times out and prevents a public wifi connection because the 'terms and conditions' page cannot be accepted as with a laptop.

This is an important issue for city dwellers who cannot access home-based wifi connections for software upgrades and who live miles from the nearest Tesla service center where they can access the wifi.

Have any Tesla owner city dwellers been able to find a work-around for this issue?

thanks!
You are right, the Tesla browser don't let use a public WiFi requesting a logging access,
so a simple solution is to use your smartphone in Hotspot mode using that WiFi access.

In another thread, someone recommended to install a hotspot repeater inside your car,
like the GL.iNET GL-MT300N, something that I did, which allows me also to access my dashcam remotely.

• Helpful
Reactions: AprilMay
What you're referring to is called a captive portal. The way public WiFi forces you to see this page is by DNS-hijacking and redirecting you when you try to access another site. So you have 2 options.

1. Try going to a site that's not cached in the in-car browser and you should get redirected
2. Go to the IP address of the gateway (not sure if this info is surfaced in the in-car UI). So if the gateway is 192.168.1.1 go to http://192.168.1.1 in the in-car browser.

Good luck!

I have the same problem and to update my car (living in a condo and do not have access to my unit WiFi), I generally go close to a service center to get the wifi. But going around the service center on the weekend to get some signal is weird and makes me look like a thief, alone driving around the service center. I'd rather have a good solution to get the update at home!

You are right, the Tesla browser don't let use a public WiFi requesting a logging access,
so a simple solution is to use your smartphone in Hotspot mode using that WiFi access.

In another thread, someone recommended to install a hotspot repeater inside your car,
like the GL.iNET GL-MT300N, something that I did, which allows me also to access my dashcam remotely.

Note sure I understand how your setup works. What do you connect to the repeater inside your car to have internet access?

Note sure I understand how your setup works. What do you connect to the repeater inside your car to have internet access?

My take, that device is a travel router, it lets you connect to an existing WiFi hotspot on the WAN (or Internet) side, and then use/have a separate WiFi connection on the LAN (local home) side that you could share to your Tesla, laptop, etc. If there is a problem with the landing page to accept terms, enter in some data before you can continue, you could use your laptop or phone to connect to the travel router via its local WiFi connection to fix that, and then your Tesla should be able to use that local WiFi to connect to the remote WiFi and get onto the Internet. A bit cumbersome, but should work. For the unit linked above, this is what they call repeater mode.

These travel routers are useful when you are, wait for it, traveling, and you are paying a connection and/or do not trust the WiFi connection and have concerns with security. The travel router will act as an extra layer in between your devices and the host, plus it will let you share that connection. I know people who bought such a device just to share a connection while on a cruise.

Reactions: jwuwu
I have the same problem and to update my car (living in a condo and do not have access to my unit WiFi), I generally go close to a service center to get the wifi. But going around the service center on the weekend to get some signal is weird and makes me look like a thief, alone driving around the service center.

Being at a Tesla service center in a Tesla is not as suspicious as you make it sound. There are a number of reasons why a Tesla owner would be at a Service center at any time of the day - window shopping, dropping off a car for service, connecting to WiFi for software updates, etc.

My take, that device is a travel router, it lets you connect to an existing WiFi hotspot on the WAN (or Internet) side, and then use/have a separate WiFi connection on the LAN (local home) side that you could share to your Tesla, laptop, etc. If there is a problem with the landing page to accept terms, enter in some data before you can continue, you could use your laptop or phone to connect to the travel router via its local WiFi connection to fix that, and then your Tesla should be able to use that local WiFi to connect to the remote WiFi and get onto the Internet. A bit cumbersome, but should work. For the unit linked above, this is what they call repeater mode.

These travel routers are useful when you are, wait for it, traveling, and you are paying a connection and/or do not trust the WiFi connection and have concerns with security. The travel router will act as an extra layer in between your devices and the host, plus it will let you share that connection. I know people who bought such a device just to share a connection while on a cruise.

I did not understand this at all at first. Thanks for clarifying, it makes a lot of sense now.

Note sure I understand how your setup works.

I followed the following tip from @jwuwu in another thread, on how to set up a GL.inet router with a WiFi hotspot, such as Xfinity:

What do you connect to the repeater inside your car to have internet access?
I put the router on top of the dashboard, I created a client access/password that I use to connect the Tesla browser and my dashcam to it.

When I receive a software update alert on my Tesla App, the download can start using the inboard router.

Also when my dashcam is connected to the cloud using WiFi, I can access it from my phone to check the surrounding of the car when parked,
when I receive a motion detection alert, something that the TeslaCam doesn't provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwuwu
I installed this in my car, completely stealth and hidden, with included db boosting GSM/LTE antennas. I wired it up in the footwell inside the center console as there is plenty of room and easy to access a 12v permanent tap. Only uses 5 watts. I mainly did it as I live in a rented apartment with parking that is too far from wifi and second as I have a Blackvue camera with wifi and can access the cameras remotely anytime I want to check in on things. Absolutely love it!

RUT850 - 4G/LTE Automotive Router | Teltonika Networks

I also installed a fairly hidden kill switch so I can shut it off if I want to. I rarely do though and the car has no issues sleeping.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I'm always amazed to see people go to such lengths to get things working on their Teslas. (I'm in the same boat)

Tesla should just enable the browser login screen when you connect to public Wifi, the same way that it works using your laptop.