Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessing the rear parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

My wife's 2015 Model S ended up with the two rearmost parking sensors (in the center of the bumper) pushed in and down, and now she's getting constant backup warnings. This seems like something I could do myself, but I can't figure out how to access them. I've had the four bolts around the rear diffuser off, and I can't get it to move.

I've had the thought that with a small dowel and a bit of superglue I could probably pull them into position, but I have no idea how fragile they are.

Has anyone had any success getting these sensors back in place without calling Tesla Service?

Thanks,

Fred

Attachments

• pushed_sensor.jpg
    pushed_sensor.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 316
I'm not sure if you're gonna have enough room to get in there with the bumper beam. Might as well drop the fascia. It's just a few more bolts inside the liftgate area & 1 bolt on each side of front end of bumper by the wheels. I didn't remove the wheels at all. I just jacked up rear end. I had to drop fascia when I retrofitted bumper reinforcement for the jumpseats.

I have essentially this same problem, detailer knocked one loose. Where do I look for all the bolts? I ran into a Tesla mobile service tech at a supercharger last week, and he told me that pulling the bumper cover off was the only way to fix those sensors.