Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessories for 2021 Refresh Model S Plaid/LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For $45 bucks, I would be willing to replace this annually. Might have a future purchaser @Iyordanov
@cwanja I purchased a couple of rolls of PPF from Amazon for this job a month ago, but haven't yet applied it. Of course, going this route required trimming with an Xacto knife.

VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 6 Inch Wide Choose Your Size Including Tools (6 Inch x 96 Inch)
by VViViD Vinyl

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and cwanja
Looks good! I would be curious to see a picture of them in a few months; to see how the PPF holds up under foot!
Good point! I too don't know as I just started with this recently, but let's see. So far the passenger side's PPF saved my sill from scratch once, and the scratch itself didn't hurt it much, but perhaps after a year it might need a replacement to keep it looking good 🤷🏻‍♂️

@cwanja I purchased a couple of rolls of PPF from Amazon for this job a month ago, but haven't yet applied it. Of course, going this route required trimming with an Xacto knife.

VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 6 Inch Wide Choose Your Size Including Tools (6 Inch x 96 Inch)
by VViViD Vinyl
This thread motivated me to complete the job, just now! Easy to do. Just cut to length, align with edge and tuck excess under door gasket. Took less than 10 minutes!

Hmmm--trying to decide between the matte and glossy...thoughts, anyone?
In retrospect, I personally prefer how the matte looks as it matches the interior. In the other hand you only see it when you open the door and in my case my car is black which is a high gloss color so with an open door it matches the paint of the car better 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attaching a few unedited photos. Driver's side is glossy, passenger side is matte.

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 207
In retrospect, I personally prefer how the matte looks as it matches the interior. In the other hand you only see it when you open the door and in my case my car is black which is a high gloss color so with an open door it matches the paint of the car better 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attaching a few unedited photos. Driver's side is glossy, passenger side is matte.
I think the glossy looks better, especially on Black. The question is how that gloss will hold up, and look a month or so down the line. My rolls of VViViD are gloss, so I will be able to experience this, first hand.

Hmmm--trying to decide between the matte and glossy...thoughts, anyone?

Matte 1000%

Wish that illuminated. Would look amazing.

I am leaning to matte as the surrounding carpet is also "matte" and the current finish is low gloss. Hey @lyordanov -- with the matte film, can you still see the "Model S" on the sill plates?
Yes, it's actually more visible with the matte... here is a pic. Still dimmer than no PPF at all, but visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 215
Now I’m thinking how great illuminated door sills would be. Like on other high end cars. Has anyone made a run at these? I don’t know if these door sills are the same as the old S ones? Seems like 12v power is right there under the seat, maybe run a small wire under the carpet…
An illuminated sill kit is available for the pre-2021 MS from the Tesla Online Store (link below)
The refreshed MS sills are very diffferent from prior MS. Larger, rectangular mounted on carpet…

An illuminated sill kit is available for the pre-2021 MS from the Tesla Online Store (link below)
The refreshed MS sills are very diffferent from prior MS. Larger, rectangular mounted on carpet…

By the way, I also have a 2018 MS 100D and did not opt for the Tesla battery powered illuminated sills. (I had considered the ones from “Norm”)
I went with these Thicker Carbon Fiber protectors from Taptes.
0BDA80F3-12BB-491E-8029-755682D950E5.jpeg

Not a fan of the Tesla illuminated sills after watching this video…

By the way, I also have a 2018 MS 100D and did not opt for the Tesla battery powered illuminated sills. (I had considered the ones from “Norm”)
I went with these Thicker Carbon Fiber protectors from Taptes.
View attachment 722878
Not a fan of the Tesla illuminated sills after watching this video…
If you’re not familiar with Norm’s work.
You can search TMC
Here’s a link to a thread on his sills
Maybe he’ll come up with some upgrades for the refreshed S