TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accessory Hitch installation after delivery

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Firewired, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Firewired

Firewired Member

I am looking at taking delivery of an inventory Model X which has everything i want except for the $250 Accessory Hitch. I don't plan to haul any trailers, but would like to use a 2" bike rack for 4 bikes. How difficult do you think it would be to have the accessory hitch installed after production? I asked the salesman, he didn't think so, but he sounded like no one had ever asked him that before.

Thanks.

2. PTatum

PTatum Member

@Firewired, I am in the same boat as you, awaiting my inventory MX (VIN 43XX), and I wondered the same thing. I also wondered if they installed the internal hardware on all the early MXs (similar to the active spoiler) in order to speed up production. We would need to hear from someone that did not order either the tow package or the accessory hitch to find out whether hardware is there or not. *fingers crossed*

3. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

BTW, did you folks ever find the answer, if every MX could add accessory hitch?

4. ming

ming Member

You're talking about the towing package right? I asked my owner advisor at the time of my purchase if the towing package could be added after and she said no.

5. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

NO towing, just accessory to hold a bike.

6. GreenBear248

GreenBear248 Member

how much is it to add the accessory for the bike?

7. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I'm asking if it can be done, not the cost. Tow package is structural and I expect it's not added after delivery.

Can accessory hitch be added after delivery, who knows?

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

There's no evidence that the "Accessory Hitch" option ever saw the light of day. Everyone that ordered it got the very same removable bosal tow hitch that those of us that ordered the "Tow Package" got.

Does that help answer your question?

• Informative x 1
  9. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Yeah I ordered the accessory hitch and was upgraded to the tow thing at no cost, as the accessory hitch became redundant about October.

10. Scmbug

Scmbug Member

I have a friend who just picked up an AP2 inventory car last week, and he got Tesla to add the full tow package before they delivered it to him. I was really surprised that it could be done, but maybe all of the cars do have the same internal hardware to make this possible.

I'd ask your salesman to check with headquarters.

11. hill

hill Member

Right . . . sales critter - end all / beat all, as a supreme source of precise knowledge. I'm still waiting to get the same answer twice from sales Critters regarding windshield ghosting fix.

• Funny x 1
  12. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Thanks all, I'll inquire

13. bushburner

bushburner Member

How did you know you have the full two packaage? I'm wondering that myself as I have the accessory hitch package right before it was discontinued. Never check the screen if I have the tow package software.

14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

You likely don't have the software, but the removable bosal hitch and hardware is the same. They can't mount that thing in a "light" version because it's got the tongue weight limits printed right on it and they would be in a world of hurt if someone went off of those numbers to tow something.

As others have guessed, I bet they allow the tow package software to activated after the sale at some point.

This is certainly interesting, and could be the first confirmed Service Center Tow Hitch install. Perhaps the SvC's have just been too busy so they've been telling sales to just say "NO" on these for the time being, but now they are slowing down enough to allow these installs.

• Informative x 1
  15. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

I won't know until I get the car, hopefully next week. Even my DS is unsure, but a earlier sales person told me that was the case.

16. karenPstears

karenPstears New Member

The tow package on my new X was not installed as I had originally ordered it. I have spoken to 2 sales folks who say they have heard that the accessory hitch can be added after market. However I called both SLC and Denver service centers today and the service center said no. I am very interested in getting the hitch put on. I would REALLY appreciate any information you have about the sales person or owner of the X who had it installed (Scmbug ...).

17. karenPstears

karenPstears New Member

The tow package on my new X was not installed as I had originally ordered it. I have spoken to 2 sales folks who say they have heard that the accessory hitch can be added after market. However I called both SLC and Denver service centers today and the service center said no. I am very interested in getting the hitch put on. I would REALLY appreciate any information you have about the sales person or owner of the X who had it installed (Scmbug ...).

18. karenPstears

karenPstears New Member

19. karenPstears

karenPstears New Member

Did you find out that the accessory hitch could be added?

20. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Same interest here, would like some kinda hitch for my bike(s).