Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory Hitch installation after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at taking delivery of an inventory Model X which has everything i want except for the $250 Accessory Hitch. I don't plan to haul any trailers, but would like to use a 2" bike rack for 4 bikes. How difficult do you think it would be to have the accessory hitch installed after production? I asked the salesman, he didn't think so, but he sounded like no one had ever asked him that before.

Thanks.

@Firewired, I am in the same boat as you, awaiting my inventory MX (VIN 43XX), and I wondered the same thing. I also wondered if they installed the internal hardware on all the early MXs (similar to the active spoiler) in order to speed up production. We would need to hear from someone that did not order either the tow package or the accessory hitch to find out whether hardware is there or not. *fingers crossed*

I have a friend who just picked up an AP2 inventory car last week, and he got Tesla to add the full tow package before they delivered it to him. I was really surprised that it could be done, but maybe all of the cars do have the same internal hardware to make this possible.

I'd ask your salesman to check with headquarters.

How did you know you have the full two packaage? I'm wondering that myself as I have the accessory hitch package right before it was discontinued. Never check the screen if I have the tow package software.
You likely don't have the software, but the removable bosal hitch and hardware is the same. They can't mount that thing in a "light" version because it's got the tongue weight limits printed right on it and they would be in a world of hurt if someone went off of those numbers to tow something.

As others have guessed, I bet they allow the tow package software to activated after the sale at some point.

I have a friend who just picked up an AP2 inventory car last week, and he got Tesla to add the full tow package before they delivered it to him. I was really surprised that it could be done, but maybe all of the cars do have the same internal hardware to make this possible.

I'd ask your salesman to check with headquarters.
This is certainly interesting, and could be the first confirmed Service Center Tow Hitch install. Perhaps the SvC's have just been too busy so they've been telling sales to just say "NO" on these for the time being, but now they are slowing down enough to allow these installs.

• Informative
Reactions: bushburner
The tow package on my new X was not installed as I had originally ordered it. I have spoken to 2 sales folks who say they have heard that the accessory hitch can be added after market. However I called both SLC and Denver service centers today and the service center said no. I am very interested in getting the hitch put on. I would REALLY appreciate any information you have about the sales person or owner of the X who had it installed (Scmbug ...).

The tow package on my new X was not installed as I had originally ordered it. I have spoken to 2 sales folks who say they have heard that the accessory hitch can be added after market. However I called both SLC and Denver service centers today and the service center said no. I am very interested in getting the hitch put on. I would REALLY appreciate any information you have about the sales person or owner of the X who had it installed (Scmbug ...).

@Firewired, I am in the same boat as you, awaiting my inventory MX (VIN 43XX), and I wondered the same thing. I also wondered if they installed the internal hardware on all the early MXs (similar to the active spoiler) in order to speed up production. We would need to hear from someone that did not order either the tow package or the accessory hitch to find out whether hardware is there or not. *fingers crossed*
Did you find out that the accessory hitch could be added?