Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory Hitch installation after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@karenPstears, if you ordered and paid for the towing package, and it didn't arrive, Tesla should make that right. If that means taking the vehicle back and building a new one, then that's what they'll have to do.

However, if your Confirmation Order doesn't mention the tow package, then you're on the hook for figuring out an after-market solution. I've heard mixed responses whether Tesla will add towing after-purchase. At the moment, no third-party solutions exist, but I think that will eventually change.

The tow package on my new X was not installed as I had originally ordered it. I have spoken to 2 sales folks who say they have heard that the accessory hitch can be added after market. However I called both SLC and Denver service centers today and the service center said no. I am very interested in getting the hitch put on. I would REALLY appreciate any information you have about the sales person or owner of the X who had it installed (Scmbug ...).

@karenPstears, the car was an inventory car, I believe from the the Monterey, California sales or service locations. I think they were the ones who installed the tow hitch, but I don't know for sure. They could have sent it back to Fremont too.. I will try to find out more information from the buyer and report back.

Did you find out that the accessory hitch could be added?
When I asked at the service center, I was told "not yet" which gave me the impression that an accessory hitch might be available in the future (Tesla future = who knows when). Considering how busy the service centers are with warranty stuff in addition to standard repairs, I'm guessing that they are busy enough to defer "elective" services right now. Also, when I reached out to Torklift, they were interested in borrowing my X to design one, but they are a bit far away from me...If you know anyone who lives near their factory, do us a favor and have them stop by!

FWIW, this is the 3rd party hitch receiver I'm looking at. I'm waiting for an estimate for the installation at a 3rd party shop Tesla recommended. I'm only using it for a bike rack, so $1200 for the "Towing package" seems a little steep. The accessory replaces the OEM bumper beam and my question/concern is if it makes the car "less safe" Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.48.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.48.00 AM.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 44
FWIW, this is the 3rd party hitch receiver I'm looking at. I'm waiting for an estimate for the installation at a 3rd party shop Tesla recommended. I'm only using it for a bike rack, so $1200 for the "Towing package" seems a little steep. The accessory replaces the OEM bumper beam and my question/concern is if it makes the car "less safe" Any thoughts?

@ohmman installed it on his X:

Draw-Tite Aftermarket Receiver Package