TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Accessory Hitch Tongue Weight

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MACCA, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MACCA

MACCA New Member

Ready to confirm my order, but does anyone know the tongue weight of the 2" accessory hitch? I have a rather heavy Thule bike rack and with 3 bikes the weight is 160+ pounds. The X owners manual still lists the 1.25" hitch with its 120 pound restriction. The tow package hitch will work but I really don't have a need for it. Is the accessory hitch the same as that on the tow package except without the wiring?

2. ModelXsig1100

ModelXsig1100 Member

I don't have an answer, but I do have a remedial question, if a minor thread hijacking can be forgiven. I don't think I need the accessory hitch, but if I change my mind in the future, am I out of luck or would I be able to get it at that time? I.e., is something manufactured differently when you get the accessory hitch, precluding adding it later?

3. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

#3 ABCCBA, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    TowingOptions.jpg MACCA, also Google trailer hitch class rating

4. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

ModelXsig1100 - I have now seen three MX up close. Two had factory hitches and one did not. While you can always have an aftermarket hitch installed, the ones from the factory are quite cleverly designed and there is a small plastic door built into the underskirt. When not in use, the hitch is removed and the door secured in place and there is no sign of the trailer hitch mount and the mount and wiring are secure and protected from road debris. Again, it is a clever design.

5. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

No the two inch towing hitch is a totally different animal and is secured and braced to handle a 5,000 pound load (less with 22 inch wheels). In addition there is different software you get if you choose towing package.

6. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

This is an old screen shot. The accessory hitch is now 2" and $200 I believe. The manual still shows an 120lb limit. If you get a straight answer please post it.

7. maratd

maratd Member

Here is the current screen shot:

hitch.png