Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory Refund Current Wait Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been 12 business days and Tesla has only refunded 1 out of my 4 items, even though I sent them all back at the same time and they were on the same order. I cancelled my MY order (holding on to my S another year) so took the $250 loss but I do expect accessories to be refunded 7-10 business days per Tesla's FAQ.

I've seen other postings on this in the past but was wondering if anyone has ordered and returned accessories in the recent month or so and have had similar issues with getting a timely refund, or ever experienced Tesla refunding you on some of the items first before others even though you sent multiple items together?

These accessories represent over $600 so I will absolutely escalate including disputing them with my credit card. Of course, no response to multiple emails from customer service.

Additional oddities:
The order came to me in one box with all four items, and I requested a refund for the full order. They sent me a return label that only referenced one of the items which I thought was odd but assumed they ran out of space to type them all in and so I just sent all items back with that one label. Several days later after I already sent all items back they provided two more labels for two of the other items, and then never provided another label for the fourth item. Out of concern I proactively emailed Tesla about this situation, and never heard back. The only item they refunded was the one they referenced on the first shipping label, even though I sent all four back. I have bought plenty of things online for the past 20 years and this has got to be the most awful return experience I have ever had.

Last edited:
It's been 12 business days and Tesla has only refunded 1 out of my 4 items, even though I sent them all back at the same time and they were on the same order. I cancelled my MY order (holding on to my S another year) so took the $250 loss but I do expect accessories to be refunded 7-10 business days per Tesla's FAQ.

I've seen other postings on this in the past but was wondering if anyone has ordered and returned accessories in the recent month or so and have had similar issues with getting a timely refund, or ever experienced Tesla refunding you on some of the items first before others even though you sent multiple items together?

These accessories represent over $600 so I will absolutely escalate including disputing them with my credit card. Of course, no response to multiple emails from customer service.

Additional oddities:
The order came to me in one box with all four items, and I requested a refund for the full order. They sent me a return label that only referenced one of the items which I thought was odd but assumed they ran out of space to type them all in and so I just sent all items back with that one label. Several days later after I already sent all items back they provided two more labels for two of the other items, and then never provided another label for the fourth item. Out of concern I proactively emailed Tesla about this situation, and never heard back. The only item they refunded was the one they referenced on the first shipping label, even though I sent all four back. I have bought plenty of things online for the past 20 years and this has got to be the most awful return experience I have ever had.
It sounds like it happened exactly as you fear: 1 label per item. Time for some human intervention if you can talk to Tesla.

Reactions: OVB1
I can't even get a refund because the nema adapter they shipped out never arrived and is lost. They won't respond to any of my emails so I had to dispute my the credit card charge and reorder. Wish they had a live person or live chat

• Helpful
They got back to me and are saying what I feared (below). What’s crazy is they never even issued a label for the last item which they acknowledge even though I requested it 11/17. I sent them an angry email back, will dispute tomorrow with my card. Did someone at the warehouse steal my items?!

“RMA return tracking details show that the 3 items you are referring to have not been shipped back to us for return. Please refer to the return tracking details.

KEY FOB, ASY, ACCESSORY, M3:
ASY,ADPTR,J1772-TESLA,v2.2
BOM MODULE, MY, MUD FLAP PACKAGE:
HOMELINK RETROFIT:
RMA return labels have not been authorized/issued

They got back to me and are saying what I feared (below). What’s crazy is they never even issued a label for the last item which they acknowledge even though I requested it 11/17. I sent them an angry email back, will dispute tomorrow with my card. Did someone at the warehouse steal my items?!

“RMA return tracking details show that the 3 items you are referring to have not been shipped back to us for return. Please refer to the return tracking details.

KEY FOB, ASY, ACCESSORY, M3:
ASY,ADPTR,J1772-TESLA,v2.2
BOM MODULE, MY, MUD FLAP PACKAGE:
HOMELINK RETROFIT:
RMA return labels have not been authorized/issued
How long did it take them to reply to your emails? I have one email that's been 9days and going and another 3days and going.

How long did it take them to reply to your emails? I have one email that's been 9days and going and another 3days and going.
Two days for one of my emails, and never for a few others I sent. It's hit or miss.

Actions so far--I stopped by Fedex, they couldn't do anything, told me to file a claim which I did.
I stopped by Tesla Service, told me they couldn't do anything, told me to call the general Tesla line, and they couldn't do anything either.

Next up, calling my credit card company.

After that IDK what--file a police report for stolen goods? Pitch the story to media? I really don't know.

Update: filed credit card dispute.

Reflection: I hate that in spite of this I’m still going to stay with Tesla for my next car.

Last edited:
I sent back a wall connector, never opened. The return shipment was signed for Nov 9th. I didnt get my refund until Nov 28. I gave them the full 7-10 business day and asked my rep about this since I was due to pick up my model Y on the 29th. The rep just suggested to send another email since we were outside the window now. I finally got an email on the 27th or the 28th stating my refund has been processed so they took well beyond the 10 business days.

They will drag this out as long as possible. Every day they hold on to your money means more they make in interest.

• Informative
I sent back a wall connector, never opened. The return shipment was signed for Nov 9th. I didnt get my refund until Nov 28. I gave them the full 7-10 business day and asked my rep about this since I was due to pick up my model Y on the 29th. The rep just suggested to send another email since we were outside the window now. I finally got an email on the 27th or the 28th stating my refund has been processed so they took well beyond the 10 business days.

They will drag this out as long as possible. Every day they hold on to your money means more they make in interest.
I was thinking the same. Did you file a credit card dispute? I just did.

About four years ago, I drove to Fremont from socal in a rental one way to pick up a CPO Model S, but had to reject it because it had a bunch of undisclosed major damage. Tesla agreed it was a a problem, said they'd pay the rental company (Enterprise or Hertz--whichever they had a relationship with at that time) for a one way rental back to socal. I arrive at the rental, and they tell me they can't provide one because Tesla had such a large unpaid balance with them they had to put a hold on any future rentals until they paid up! I paid myself and months later got Tesla to send me a check. So they've had a history of this nonsense, though at least back then they were actually running out of cash from the model 3 scale up so did legit have cash flow problems.
I don't know what their excuse is now other than greed, ineptitude, or hubris. Every other major company has staffed proper customer service centers. Even if they outsource them at least I can speak to a human same day. Waiting from five days to never with email being the only method of communication? Even Time Warner, a monopoly in my area, wouldn't dare to pull a stunt like that.

I love my Tesla but I do hope one day real competition comes along to make Tesla care about me as a customer, as they did so many years ago.

Ok I'm glad I filed a credit report. Check out this insane response from Tesla. Do I need to file a police report because I think someone stole my items from their warehouse! Furthermore, I have no idea what they're talking about with Homelink additional info--does anyone know?

"Based on our return process, we are unable to provide support on items returned that were not processed in the proper manner. As each return label email states the item associated with the label, we are unable to process your return for returned items without authorized return labels affixed to the corresponding item. Our returns team have not noted that the Mud Flap box contained any other items, such as a Key Fob, J1772 adapter or Homelink kit.

Homelink Kit return requests require additional details for a return label to be released. This is the reason why you have not received a return label for the Homelink Kit."

Last edited: