Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory tow hitch part #

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My inventory X came with the Accessory Hitch...stored neatly in a zippered foam lined bag. There is a removable cover under the car where the accessory hitch pops in. No towing package listed anywhere on the MVPA papers.
It does exist, it just happens to be the same part that comes with the tow package. You can select "Accessory Hitch" on the design studio when ordering your Model X.
Exactly my point. You order the Accessory Hitch and they give you the Tow Package minus the "Tow Mode" software.

It's possible that Tesla still plans to design/build their own Accessory Hitch in the future, similar to what they showed almost a year ago at the "reveal". If that happens, then there will be a significant difference between the Accessory Hitch and Tow Hitch. But right now, I have to agree with @goneskiian, they are exactly the same.

I just received my inventory X, and although I was hoping they had installed the receiver hardware on all vehicles, it appears as though they don't. Mine has a wiring harness in place, but no Bosal interface in which to place an "accessory hitch" or "tow hitch" (which, as others have pointed out, are essentially the same except for the towing software and functioning wiring harness). I could show pictures, but it's essentially an empty space behind the cover without any hardware present. Now, I will just have to hope that Bosal makes the hardware available at some point. I got a screaming deal on the inventory car, so I don't mind, but I did kinda hope it would be there.

I just received my inventory X, and although I was hoping they had installed the receiver hardware on all vehicles, it appears as though they don't. Mine has a wiring harness in place, but no Bosal interface in which to place an "accessory hitch" or "tow hitch" (which, as others have pointed out, are essentially the same except for the towing software and functioning wiring harness). I could show pictures, but it's essentially an empty space behind the cover without any hardware present. Now, I will just have to hope that Bosal makes the hardware available at some point. I got a screaming deal on the inventory car, so I don't mind, but I did kinda hope it would be there.

Interesting.

Actually, posting pictures would probably need helpful if you have any - we're undoubtedly going to have a stream of folks on the forum wondering if they can retrofit their cars, and seeing whether there are pre drilled holes and such will be a big help for them.

Not especially new info, but I checked with Tesla service centers and a Tesla certified body shop about getting an accessory hitch added on my X after delivery. (should have gotten it at the time I ordered, but oh well)

As @Saghost mentions, I also just have an empty space under the rear cover with no receiver for the Bosal to connect to, though there is a wiring harness there.

At this point, per Tesla, there is no solution for adding either an accessory hitch or trailer hitch post-delivery. Supposedly this is something they are "looking at", but there is no timeframe/timeline for rolling it out. The body shop guy thought an accessory hitch addition shouldn't be too much work/expense once Tesla comes up with a solution, but for now that doesn't exist. There does not appear to be an after-market option either. (Though if anyone knows of an aftermarket bike carrier option that doesn't involve an accessory hitch, I'd appreciate hearing about it!)

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Images of the area behind the bumper of my X that doesn't have tow/accessory hitch hardware. First image is view towards drivers side, 2nd is passenger side. The wiring harness is visible in 1st image.

View attachment 195470 View attachment 195471
Images of the area behind the bumper of my X that doesn't have tow/accessory hitch hardware. First image is view towards drivers side, 2nd is passenger side. The wiring harness is visible in 1st image.

Thanks. For comparison, here's the best I could quickly do on my factory tow package car. It seems like the hitch is hung off of a big round tube that may replace the bumper like member you seem to have? I'll try to get less blurry pictures later:
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG