Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident :-( - Advice / Looking for another roadster ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got hit by a semi truck on the freeway a few weeks back - fortunately she walked away without major injuries, but our roadster (1171) got beat up pretty bad. Our poor roadster spun three times across 4 lanes of LA freeway traffic and sacrificed itself to protect her.

We got word from the trucker's insurance today, and given the cost of repairs (basically every single body panel, plus wheel suspension, plus some frame damage) they decided to declare it a total loss :-(

They offered us to keep the salvage vehicle, and deduct $30k from the settlement for it -- I assume that makes no sense?

Any words of advice or wisdom from this group?

And obviously we are in the market for a new Roadster, anywhere in the western US ...

(we've only been Roadster owners for 11 months ... our first electric car ever ... and what a ride it has been ... we've got the bug now)

It’s likely where ever the car is it’s not being plugged in, once the battery is dead the value goes with it. The price of good late roadsters should be under the valueyiur insurance presents. I would argue to a premium settlement and let the salvage yards pick over your old one. It’s a sad fact but someone will bring it or it’s parts back to life. But 30k, you would be hard pushed to sell the car for that right now, I say take the money.

Reactions: Stewie26
Thank you both - and I tend to agree unfortunately. It's sad to see another 2011 Roadster Sport disappear ... I understand there were only 180 so I feel bad writing it off. But the economics are what they are.

So -- I am in the market for another one. I'm not afraid of a long-ish drive home, and ideally looking for a 3.0 Battery.

Peter

I recommend taking the money and test driving a performance Model 3. Amazing handling, and power with access to supercharging and all the latest features. A lot of Roadster owners on here seem to be making that jump now that Tesla offers something smaller and nimble again.
I love my Roadster, can confirm that P3D performance is a step up and car is substantially more practical, comfortable, quiet, etc....

A quick update: We ended up buying #303 - a 2008 1.5 with low miles in Radiant Red. So nice to be back at the wheel of a Roadster!

Thank you everyone for the kind words and all the advice!

Attachments

• Tesla 303.JPG
    Tesla 303.JPG
    401.1 KB · Views: 127
Glad to hear your wife was not injured. #303 seemed to be a nice forum match based on the two threads!
Congrats on such a fast turnaround into a replacement roadster.

Thank you! Yes indeed a nice testament to the power of this forum.

As an aside, as a tall guy (6'4") I *strongly* prefer the 1.5 over the 2.5 interior. I have a few inches more legroom, the VDS is much easier to see (no knee in the way), and the seat appears to be lower, giving better forward visibility (windshield frame not as much right at eye level)

As an aside, as a tall guy (6'4") I *strongly* prefer the 1.5 over the 2.5 interior. I have a few inches more legroom, the VDS is much easier to see (no knee in the way), and the seat appears to be lower, giving better forward visibility (windshield frame not as much right at eye level)
That's awesome to hear that you got a new one and that you like the 1.5 better. I always preferred the 1.5's. I'm only 6'1, but I still find the interior about as cramped as I'm comfortable with. Congrats on your new car- I think Radiant Red is the best color on Roadsters

Quick update - the insurance tells me our old roadster (Vin 1171) will be picked up by co part on Thursday or Friday. Hopefully they'll put it up for auction soon, before the battery drops too low.

In case one of the experts here is interested in reviving it or buying it for parts, please don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll be Happy to share everything I know about the car.

Attachments

• 76CB108C-5F29-438B-A63B-2629D537D268.jpeg
    76CB108C-5F29-438B-A63B-2629D537D268.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 126
I am really sorry to see another Roadster being sidelined.
For anyone following this thread, we bought an X and my wife has told me that my beloved 2010 Roadster Sport 2.0 has to go. Here is a link to cargurus.

It has:
Remainder of a warranty on the battery that is good until January of 2020.
Black fabric seats that I have had countless offers to trade for.
Serviced regularly each year
Tires are in great shape

Less than 35,000 miles
asking $72,000

Once you have had a Roadster, you just can't go to a Tesla sedan!! I have Roadster 901 and I would be very sad if anything happened to her! Congrats on the new Roadster. It must be a little adjustment going from the 2011 to the 2008 with the "stick shift" and all. Much happiness with the new one.

Glad that your wife is okay and also that you still love the Roadster. I have #311, very close to your 1.5, and I also really like this original interior layout, though didn't know there was any difference in legroom or seat height. Interesting. Not having a glove box in the 1.5 is a hassle, but it looks so good without it that I don't mind. I keep a pouch in the trunk with my registration, lug nut key, etc. The 1.5 has less sound insulation but my top is off 90% of the time anyway. I once drove a 2.5 Sport and I honestly couldn't feel a difference in acceleration (I think it's supposed to be slightly better in the 40-60 range), but my understanding is that the suspension on the Sport is noticeably better and is highly adjustable. I just don't push my car that hard around corners to notice. Can you notice any difference in acceleration? Your color is gorgeous and glad you jumped back into a Roadster so fast.

How did the Semi hit your car? Crazy lane change?

Carl --

I totally agree - the interior design is much nicer in the "original" Roadster. Feels like the typical pattern where the designers get free reign initially and then the design is compromised later for practical reasons (like in other cars the rubber bumper guards, more storage cubbies and cup holders etc etc - practical: sure. Sexy: no)

It's hard to notice the difference in power - 248 vs 288 horse is not all that much and 0.2 secs is pretty low. The car is still three times as quick to 60 as anything else I own.

The suspension is more compliant. Given LA roads I had my Sport adjusted to the softest setting and it was still quite harsh. The 1.5 is gentler on my teeth and cell phone mount and doesn't threaten to break apart on every LA pothole. For street driving I prefer the ride/handling balance. I can see the appeal of the adjustable suspension on a track or a pristine Swiss mountain pass.

What happened is, a semi overlooked my wife and abruptly changed lanes, bumping with the tires into the side of the Roadster and the rear wheel, powerful enough to spin the car three times across three lanes of freeway.

Sorry to hear of your roadster’s demise but so glad your wife was protected! Her story is a lesson to us all (thank you for sharing btw) and certainly not her fault, and many times out of our control and unavoidable, but I am so vigilant about staying out of range of lane changing trucks, SUVs, and even cars. I will do everything I can to avoid the situation if possible. Sometimes you just can’t move back or forward and get stuck. I have resorted to rarely driving on the highway and will take back roads if possible. Our roadsters are almost invisible!

Glad you are staying in the family!!:)