TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accident at Oxnard Supercharger Site

Discussion in 'North America' started by ka9q, May 2, 2018.

1. ka9q

ka9q Member

This is what it looked like when I returned to my car after lunch. (That's my car on the left. It was undamaged.) The first responders cut power to the site, and I suspect it'll be down for a while.[​IMG]

• Informative x 14
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Zextraterrestrial

WoW!
    I think u are lucky you weren't in one of those other 2 spaces!

....so many ICE vs EV or other silly captions possible for this pic!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  3. Lump

Lump Active Member

Driver wanted a burger from Lazy dogs :confused:

• Funny x 1
  4. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Wow! Did the SUV come off the 101 to end up there? Lucky he didn't hit your car.

• Funny x 1
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I bet the truck driver was busy browsing Gasbuddy on his phone trying to find the cheapest place to get 40 gallons of gas for the rest of their weekly commute. :eek:

• Funny x 10
    • Informative x 1
  6. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

Talk about getting ICEd...

• Funny x 18
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. Evthusiast

Evthusiast Member

OMG thats odd. I was there last Wed on a road trip from LA to Santa Barbara. I was in the spot on the right where the maintenance crew is working. Last week I thought...."wow this is a dangerous location..too close to the 101 freeway"

I guess I was right!

• Funny x 1
  8. Evthusiast

Evthusiast Member

yes the pickup came from freeway... you can see the fence on front the pickup that it took with it.

• Informative x 1
  9. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#9 SMAlset, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    @ka9q you must have been nervous walking back to your car seeing that :eek:. Good thing you weren't sitting in your car even if you didn't sustain any damage.

I brought up google maps and the Tesla Supercharger in Oxnard and surprised there isn't anything that would have prevented him from crossing over into the shopping center area like the guard rails. I see the wire fence and some guard rails along 101 but clearly they weren't enough of a preventative safely barrier and looks like he was going downhill after veering off the 101 too which probably didn't help him. And from looking at the google map photos of that supercharger area I guess it was lucky he didn't hit earlier than that and into the brown slatted wood corralled electrical cabinets. Quite a few good photos there of just that area.

Hope he and any passengers were okay. Probably a pretty penny for the repair though. Wow your lucky day. Did you have enough of a charge to get where you were going after that? Haven't been that far south on 101 yet so not sure how charging options are around there.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

This has actually happened before.. Too bad the pick up driver didn't have auto pilot

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. miimura

miimura Active Member

• Helpful x 1
  12. ka9q

ka9q Member

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  13. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Yep, I thought I remembered seeing this before. What is it about this location? You don’t hear about people randomly veering off the freeway very often. Certainly not twice in the same spot in 2 years.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. ka9q

ka9q Member

"you must have been nervous walking back to your car seeing that"

Yes. Yes, I was. My first indication of a problem was a message to my phone saying that charging had been interrupted, "Check charger power". I assumed that the connector needed to be reseated, and since it hadn't been charging long I kind of groaned and finished my lunch. On the way out I'm thinking of the occasional Tesla that has caught fire while charging and I say to myself "Well, there's no plume of smoke so it's probably not that". But then I notice the mall security vehicle blocking off that part of the lot, I round the corner, and, well you can see the rest. The fireman you see seemed slightly amused when he asked if that was my car -- as if he needed to. I asked if the driver of the truck was OK and he said yes.

This was my first visit to the site, which is why I photographed it just after plugging in. Now somebody here tells me there has been a prior accident. I think I'll avoid it in the future.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 1
  15. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Was just at Oxnard a couple of days ago... a bit off topic but Gen BBQ + Supercharging = amazing experience

16. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Pft 40gals. My Excursion has 44! Now that’s worth searching for a cheapest diesel even by a few cents. Granted I haven’t driven it in weeks....

• Funny x 2
  17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Looking on Streetview, it's close to an exit. The exit begins a little before the Supercharger location. Liable to be a trouble spot.

18. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

Unintentioned acceleration, with a Tesla SC. I bet you won’t see that on the front page news.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  19. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Bob Lutz strikes again.

• Funny x 9
  20. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

How is this occurring?

• Like x 1