Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident averted, but that leaves more unanswered questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rear ended someone a while back in my 3. The car in front of me slammed their brakes and I rear ended them.
I messaged Tesla and asked why AEB didn’t come on. Tesla investigated and called me by phone and explained to me what they saw from the cars electronic data. They said I pressed the brakes which overrides AEB from activating. Can anyone confirm that by pressing the brakes it will override and prevent AEB from kicking in on its own?
I had someone cut in front of me an brake for traffic a month, or so, ago. While I was braking, I felt the brake pedal drop out beneath my foot as the car applied more braking on its own. Whether it was AEB code, or some other self-preservation function, I cannot say, but there was some warning tones and the car stopped. I was definitely applying fairly hard braking on my own when the car took over.

I rear ended someone a while back in my 3. The car in front of me slammed their brakes and I rear ended them.
I messaged Tesla and asked why AEB didn’t come on. Tesla investigated and called me by phone and explained to me what they saw from the cars electronic data. They said I pressed the brakes which overrides AEB from activating. Can anyone confirm that by pressing the brakes it will override and prevent AEB from kicking in on its own?

It says in the manual what AEB does and what turns it off.
Turning the wheel
Pressing the brakes
etc etc
As soon as AEB has an indication you got this, it backs off. Its there to help an inattentive driver, not override a driver.

I started to write out my disagreement to this but stopped myself for a couple reasons...anyway, to keep it short, in my experience of 2 scenarios withing 2 minutes of each other while fully paying attention in stop and go traffic, my 2018 3 LR RWD did NOT operate in the manor the manual suggests.

Unfortunately, while I would love to capture the data using SMT, attempting to reproduce the scenarios would have a high risk of leading to damage of my vehicle and another vehicle.

Got it, so yeah the car could attempt to overpower the users brake engagement but that would be a major liability issue for Tesla.
I had an issue today while parking the model 3 it accelerated slowly over a parking stop weird because if I hit the accelerator it would have jumped the parking stop much faster. The video shows the car just slowly accelerated right after almost coming to a complete stop in the parking spot. I mashed the break too when it started to climb parking stop has I mashed the accelerator it would have accelerated much faster. Anybody else?