Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident Camera interference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought an Accident Camera and am trying it out in my Honda CR-V [2011] before the MS shows up. Find that it interferes with the TPMS [Tire Pressure Monitoring System] in that the yellow warning light comes on when the camera is activated, goes off when the camera is turned off. Any chance this or something like it will happen in the MS ?

What kind of camera do you have? I have a Blackview DR500GW-HD mounted behind my mirror and it works great without affecting the car. This camera does have WiFi. If your camera also has WiFi, try turning it off. Other than that I don't see how a video camera can influence the TPMS system.

What kind of camera do you have? I have a Blackview DR500GW-HD mounted behind my mirror and it works great without affecting the car. This camera does have WiFi. If your camera also has WiFi, try turning it off. Other than that I don't see how a video camera can influence the TPMS system.

I have the exact same camera in my Model S. I have two issues with it: It seems to take a long time to get a GPS fix and start reporting speed and Lat/Lon. It also really emphasizes the reflection of the defroster vents and A-Pillars on the glass. At night, I get a reflection of the 17" screen as well.

Regarding the OP's interference, sometimes electronics even without a discreet transmitter can cause RF interference.

I have the exact same camera in my Model S. I have two issues with it: It seems to take a long time to get a GPS fix and start reporting speed and Lat/Lon. It also really emphasizes the reflection of the defroster vents and A-Pillars on the glass. At night, I get a reflection of the 17" screen as well.

Regarding the OP's interference, sometimes electronics even without a discreet transmitter can cause RF interference.

The GPS problem is probably related to the coating on the windshield that does not allow RF through. Same issue as the transponders not working in that spot.

Have not noticed any issues with reflections. Have to look closer at that.

Mine crashes every once in a while, maybe from heat. And sometimes I get the message "Please insert SD card". A reboot solves it.

I just downloaded new firmware from the web site for the camera. Have not installed it yet.

How do you power those guys?

Well, they give you a really long power cord with a cigarette lighter adapter. For now, I've just trained the wire over top of the passenger visor, down behind the rubber on the A-pillar, then under the passenger floor mat.

My car (an earlier model) has an unused 12v connector up under the microphone piece which I intend to tap into with an in-line fuse holder and a short piece of wire tucked behind the headliner.

That wire was there from when Tesla planned on upgrading the visors with illuminated mirrors. Tesla has since backed away from that commitment and later models no longer have that 12v wire.

Here's a picture that I downloaded from another post a while back so I'd know what to look for:

cableroute.jpg

I also have the BlackVue. when I saw the 17" reflection, I just moved the camera up a few clicks. (of course I still see the A Pillars).