Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident history for VIN 080687 (used car on Tesla.com)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case this helps anyone...

Model S VIN 080687 was my leased car that has been lease returned. It is now for sale as a used car on Tesla.com. It's a 2015 Model S 85 in red. It had (at least) two insurance claims in the past, so I was a little surprised when I saw it pop up for sale on tesla.com. Here's some vehicle history:

The car was involved in a low speed rear end accident, with an insurance claim. Sheetmetal work was required on the liftgate, and the rear bumper cover was repaired/repainted. The rear diffuser / spoiler was replaced, as the textured plastic could not be repaired. Work was completed to a high standard at a Tesla authorized body shop, but careful inspection will note minor differences from factory fresh. There always are... Repair bill was around $1500.

The car also suffered a theft attempt - someone tried to pry open the sunroof. They bent the sunroof frame, which meant the entire roof was replaced. All 5 exterior panels, sunroof mechanism, and even the interior headliner. Tesla performed this repair at a cost of $6500+. Good news is that they installed an updated sunroof design, which is a noticeable improvement over the original. There was an insurance claim for this work as well.

The car has what I believe is the milling noise at neutral throttle. It developed around 24 months / 30k miles. Shortly before lease return, I asked Tesla about it and they said the noise was within tolerance. I was a bit surprised, as the noise was quite noticeable - but I didn't much care as it was their car and I figured they would auction the car off at wholesale given the accident history (surprise!).

Other than that, the car is in pretty good shape - or at least it was when I dropped it off. Two wheels have curb damage, but other than that no dings and no scratches other than some minor ones in the clearcoat. I used all season floor mats, so the carpeted floor mats are like new. I took good care of the battery - infrequent supercharging and rarely charged to 100%. 90% charge was at 234-235 rated miles. The car has next gen seats in the rear, which are kind of rare.

TLDR...

To potential buyers of 080687: be aware of the accident history (diminished value, etc) and be wary of the drive unit. Otherwise, the car is in pretty good shape in terms of cosmestics and the battery.

To Tesla used car buyers in general: used cars on tesla.com may have accident and insurance claim history.

In case this helps anyone...

Model S VIN 080687 was my leased car that has been lease returned. It is now for sale as a used car on Tesla.com. It's a 2015 Model S 85 in red. It had (at least) two insurance claims in the past, so I was a little surprised when I saw it pop up for sale on tesla.com. Here's some vehicle history:

The car was involved in a low speed rear end accident, with an insurance claim. Sheetmetal work was required on the liftgate, and the rear bumper cover was repaired/repainted. The rear diffuser / spoiler was replaced, as the textured plastic could not be repaired. Work was completed to a high standard at a Tesla authorized body shop, but careful inspection will note minor differences from factory fresh. There always are... Repair bill was around $1500.

The car also suffered a theft attempt - someone tried to pry open the sunroof. They bent the sunroof frame, which meant the entire roof was replaced. All 5 exterior panels, sunroof mechanism, and even the interior headliner. Tesla performed this repair at a cost of $6500+. Good news is that they installed an updated sunroof design, which is a noticeable improvement over the original. There was an insurance claim for this work as well.

The car has what I believe is the milling noise at neutral throttle. It developed around 24 months / 30k miles. Shortly before lease return, I asked Tesla about it and they said the noise was within tolerance. I was a bit surprised, as the noise was quite noticeable - but I didn't much care as it was their car and I figured they would auction the car off at wholesale given the accident history (surprise!).

Other than that, the car is in pretty good shape - or at least it was when I dropped it off. Two wheels have curb damage, but other than that no dings and no scratches other than some minor ones in the clearcoat. I used all season floor mats, so the carpeted floor mats are like new. I took good care of the battery - infrequent supercharging and rarely charged to 100%. 90% charge was at 234-235 rated miles. The car has next gen seats in the rear, which are kind of rare.

TLDR...

To potential buyers of 080687: be aware of the accident history (diminished value, etc) and be wary of the drive unit. Otherwise, the car is in pretty good shape in terms of cosmestics and the battery.

To Tesla used car buyers in general: used cars on tesla.com may have accident and insurance claim history.
Very thoughtful of you. thank you for the post!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Those incidents don't seem unreasonable for a used car on Tesla.com. I've heard of more than one car that had the sunroof frame replaced under warranty before. $1500 worth of damage at a Tesla shop is quite a minor accident too.

As always with a used car, from Tesla or elsewhere you should be asking about accidents and the like, but neither of those would give me pause about buying this one.

Those incidents don't seem unreasonable for a used car on Tesla.com. I've heard of more than one car that had the sunroof frame replaced under warranty before. $1500 worth of damage at a Tesla shop is quite a minor accident too.

As always with a used car, from Tesla or elsewhere you should be asking about accidents and the like, but neither of those would give me pause about buying this one.

Right, with any luck, prospective buyers will note the insurance claims, find the details here, and then rest assured - modulo diminished value. And be wary of the drive unit noise.

I have heard multiple reports that Tesla would not CPO a car with any insurance claim history. Given the change from CPO to just "used", those reports may still be accurate.

A bit of trivia regarding the $1500 worth of work: the negotiated labor rate was impressively low. If memory serves, $35/hour (well under half the rack rate).