Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident in new Model X! Did Dashcam record it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just got sideswiped while driving our new 2022 Model X on the highway. Please tell me Tesla saved the video somewhere!

I did NOT insert a USB drive (I never had a dashcam before and never thought about it).

Does it save accident footage somewhere even without a USB?

If you did not have a USB drive then it *might* be saved to internal memory. Follow the instructions in the manual to setup a USB drive and install it in your car. If you do it correctly you will see a camera icon with a red dot. Then with the car in park touch the icon to launch the viewer. On that screen see if there is anything you can download. If there is download, it will save to the USB drive.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Thanks everyone! She told the other driver that Teslas have a dashcam that records everything, and he admitted fault to the cop!

I do wish Tesla gave some/any help to new customers instead of just telling us to read the manual. I'm a nerd and read a lot about the car and never saw this. Maybe we can add it to the new car checklist...

Reactions: ATPMSD
Just because they admitted fault the insurance may still attempt to thwart a quick and easy claims process, if you have the video available there will be Zero argumen. I’m not good at links but I’ll try to post one to the secTino of the manual for quick access.

I thought all new Teslas came with a USB stick. Mine came with a Samsung stick.
Is yours not like this?
20220508_080929.jpg

I bought a USB drive to use in the glovebox and discovered the Tesla USB drive already in that spot. In fact, it was all set up to record! I guess the Tesla staff did this without telling us?

But amazingly the Dashcam did not record the accident. It turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought - just some scratched paint and the driver side mirror. So it'll be an easy and perfect fix. But still really annoying on a brand new car. And why did it not record? I guess it didn't register the accident.

I have now dragged the Dashcam button to the "dock" and enabled the "record on honk" option. Hopefully there will not be a next time, but if there is it will record.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I bought a USB drive to use in the glovebox and discovered the Tesla USB drive already in that spot. In fact, it was all set up to record! I guess the Tesla staff did this without telling us?

But amazingly the Dashcam did not record the accident. It turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought - just some scratched paint and the driver side mirror. So it'll be an easy and perfect fix. But still really annoying on a brand new car. And why did it not record? I guess it didn't register the accident.

I have now dragged the Dashcam button to the "dock" and enabled the "record on honk" option. Hopefully there will not be a next time, but if there is it will record.

Thanks everyone for your help!
They now come out of the factory with a USB installed. You have to enable recording. I assume they make you do this so you can choose when and where you want to record. I don't record at home. I don't need picture of me hauling out the garbage. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert