Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident: Not sure I will see her again :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that I would want to hide something, just that I wouldn't want to file a claim with my own insurance if I could just as easily file against the other driver's insurance provider. If my own (USAA)

A few years ago when da wife had an accident with clear fault (fortunately, a cop came by and wrote a ticket for the other car, even though the other driver still claimed that she was in the correct lane), USAA handled everything for us. Basically said, look, that's what you pay us for.

They intervened when: 1) for my choice of body shop for repair; 2) full rental beyond what the other person had coverage for; 3) also, similar sized, full sedan -- no Corolla's. Yes, they did withhold the deductible until they were able to reclaim if from the other insurer. However, we never paid a dime out of pocket.

But, fwiw, the USAA agent told me that in CA, "fault" is not necessary to lose your discounts, (aka "premium increase"). She said something to the effect that anytime they pay out more than $300 (if I recall that was the amount), then the discounts start to go away.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*