Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident on Brand New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 that I just picked up 10 days ago was just in an accident. Some guy on the highway changed lanes right into my passenger side and caused damage to passenger door, fender, bumper, camera, side mirror, etc. Called the police (CHP) immediately and they came out and took a report. And of course the guy lies and says I rear ended him. Thankfully, TeslaCam worked properly and saved the footage so I've sent that footage to the CHP officer who took the report. Also filed an insurance claim as soon as I got home. Looks like the sensor is damaged so it constantly beeps to tell me to stop so I could drive it if I really wanted to, but I don't think it is practical. Went ahead and scheduled a SC visit for next Monday. What else do I need to do here? I'm really depressed at the moment... Car has less than 500 miles on it and I was supposed to take it to get it tinted tomorrow...

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
That s—ks, really sorry this happened to you. But also glad you weren’t hurt.

Research authorized Tesla body shops in your area, and their reputation with the owners. I’m not sure how important it is to use them with the 3’s steel body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooni
What else do I need to do here
Sounds like you did all you can at the moment ..Tesla has a body shop in Burbank ..or they have other recommended ones on web ..if you read forums you will also know that Tesla takes awhile on parts so plan ahead on alternate transportation.. for determination of liability the chp report will help your case ..if determined that other party is at fault I would file a diminished value claim as well ..assuming you have not either open a claim with other parties insurance to get that ball rolling as well ..good luck and sorry to hear this

Sorry to hear. I would definitely go to a Tesla owned body shop. Because you are in Los Angeles you have several options. I believe the Tesla owned body shop is in Van Nuys. I’m not sure if Burbank also does collision repair. See what options the app provides.

Reactions: Mooni
Sounds like you did all you can at the moment ..Tesla has a body shop in Burbank ..or they have other recommended ones on web ..if you read forums you will also know that Tesla takes awhile on parts so plan ahead on alternate transportation.. for determination of liability the chp report will help your case ..if determined that other party is at fault I would file a diminished value claim as well ..assuming you have not either open a claim with other parties insurance to get that ball rolling as well ..good luck and sorry to hear this
Thanks, have an appointment with Burbank SC on Monday so we'll see how it goes.
Sorry to hear. I would definitely go to a Tesla owned body shop. Because you are in Los Angeles you have several options. I believe the Tesla owned body shop is in Van Nuys. I’m not sure if Burbank also does collision repair. See what options the app provides.
Yeah, thats what I plan on doing. Want Tesla to do the work and not an approved body shop. I'm close to both Burbank and Van Nuys so I'll do whatever I need to do to have them do the work.
A speaker icon should show up in the left pane that will mute the beeping noise if you are talking about the ultrasonic sensors.
Thanks, but probably won't drive with a busted body anyway.

Something we all dread happening to us. Sorry to read what happened. I am glad to hear that TeslaCam came through with footage that proved the guy was a liar. Did he have insurance? Sounds like you are going through yours.

If you have photos I'm sure people would like to see the damage and then learn what the repair costs will be. Good luck on all fronts.

Something we all dread happening to us. Sorry to read what happened. I am glad to hear that TeslaCam came through with footage that proved the guy was a liar. Did he have insurance? Sounds like you are going through yours.

If you have photos I'm sure people would like to see the damage and then learn what the repair costs will be. Good luck on all fronts.
Here are the photos. The driver was not the owner of the car, but the car did have insurance on it. I filed a claim with my insurance who I'm sure will reach out to theirs. I've handed over their policy info so they can make contact. I'll post an update once I have an estimate.
IMG-1785.JPG IMG-1788.JPG IMG-1789.JPG IMG-1790.JPG IMG-1791.JPG

Reactions: SMAlset and P85_DA
Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel your pain. I had a guy hit me when as I driving home from the ceramic coating shop,
Be prepared for a LONG wait period to get the repairs done, The Tesla approved shop had me bring in the car for a tare down so they can order the required parts so my cat didn’t have to sit at their shop for the whole time, It took 3 weeks to get a new hood from Tesla and another 2 weeks the get it repainted, re wrapped and ceramic coated, I just got it back last week,

Also look into hiring an experienced Diminished Value attorney, I would not recommend settling it yourself with the insurance company. A good DV attorney will get you more money with no out of pocket expense from you,

So after looking on Tesla's website and that they own only three body shops - San Jose, Pomona, and Chicago, - I wonder if my service appointment will just be cancelled. The phone app does give the option for accident damage at the SC, but wondering if I need to take it to Pomona which isn't ideal.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel your pain. I had a guy hit me when as I driving home from the ceramic coating shop,
Be prepared for a LONG wait period to get the repairs done, The Tesla approved shop had me bring in the car for a tare down so they can order the required parts so my cat didn’t have to sit at their shop for the whole time, It took 3 weeks to get a new hood from Tesla and another 2 weeks the get it repainted, re wrapped and ceramic coated, I just got it back last week,

Also look into hiring an experienced Diminished Value attorney, I would not recommend settling it yourself with the insurance company. A good DV attorney will get you more money with no out of pocket expense from you,
Damn, hope being in California helps cut down on time. How good was the repair job by the approved shop and what did you end up getting for your Diminished Value Claim?

My Model 3 that I just picked up 10 days ago was just in an accident. Some guy on the highway changed lanes right into my passenger side and caused damage to passenger door, fender, bumper, camera, side mirror, etc. Called the police (CHP) immediately and they came out and took a report. And of course the guy lies and says I rear ended him. Thankfully, TeslaCam worked properly and saved the footage so I've sent that footage to the CHP officer who took the report. Also filed an insurance claim as soon as I got home. Looks like the sensor is damaged so it constantly beeps to tell me to stop so I could drive it if I really wanted to, but I don't think it is practical. Went ahead and scheduled a SC visit for next Monday. What else do I need to do here? I'm really depressed at the moment... Car has less than 500 miles on it and I was supposed to take it to get it tinted tomorrow...

Sorry to hear this. It’ll be about $5000 in repairs and most likely they will not need to replace the door(s). Not sure why you’re going through your own insurance - call them to inform them but the other party’s insurance should cover it if you’re not at fault.

All that aside, you’re looking at about 1 month before insurance is settled, a month or so before you get a repair appointment (if you’re lucky) - do these things in parallel. And one month and a half or so to get the parts and complete repairs. You’d be lucky if you get the car back in under three months.

Sorry to hear this. It’ll be about $5000 in repairs and most likely they will not need to replace the door(s). Not sure why you’re going through your own insurance - call them to inform them but the other party’s insurance should cover it if you’re not at fault.
This is what is happening. The other party’s insurance reached out today to get a statement.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an attorney in CA who deals with LOU and DV claims?

Damn, hope being in California helps cut down on time. How good was the repair job by the approved shop and what did you end up getting for your Diminished Value Claim?

The body shop did not do a good job on the color match and they agreed to redo it..so its going back next week, Pain in the ass,
It turned out more pink in the sun, rather than red. They also did not clear coat the under side of the hood. Had the owner look at it and he agreed, the color is off..
It sucks because I have the whole car wrapped and Ceramic coated...not it all has to come off a second time..,

I just retained the DV attorney yesterday and they will let me know in a few days what they will try to recover,

Loving it that on one aspect, the Teslacam is calling out the lying S,307HSSV that are out there...

Reactions: EVSteve and P85_DA
Sorry , too, but how could anyone think you had "rear ended" the other driver looking at the damage on your car (as well as I presume the damage to the other car which presumably is not on his rear bumper)???
Nonetheless as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" (so how many is a video worth) ;)

The short answer is, that is exactly what you pay your insurance company for. As my carrier says, 'let's get your car repaired and in the meantime, we can deal with the at-fault carrier.' Besides making an official statement to the other carrier, there is absolutely no reason to deal with them.

Reactions: Puddles
Sorry , too, but how could anyone think you had "rear ended" the other driver looking at the damage on your car (as well as I presume the damage to the other car which presumably is not on his rear bumper)???
Nonetheless as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" (so how many is a video worth) ;)

I have heard of people who will back into you and claim you rear ended them to try to get insurance money.