Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident on Brand New Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but the damage to the car shown was on the side without damage directly on the front bumper so how do u rear end someone by scraping the right side of your car? I guess it would be a "side end?"

When I replied I wasn't speaking specifically to this incident but to anyone who claimed they were rear ended but not really. More like putting the car in reverse and claiming so.

The short answer is, that is exactly what you pay your insurance company for. As my carrier says, 'let's get your car repaired and in the meantime, we can deal with the at-fault carrier.' Besides making an official statement to the other carrier, there is absolutely no reason to deal with them.

I agree with you. In my case, the accident was 100% the other party’s fault. I called my insurance right away — to inform them. They called the other party after I gave them the information. That’s all I did. And a couple of days later, I got a call from the other party’s insurance claim adjuster, who asked me to go into a car repair shop to get a quote - I already had done that and I didn’t even use their recommended one. I emailed them the quote, told them where to send the money and that was it. My insurance has literally nothing to do with this anymore because it was so straightforward.

In OP’s case, I thought he or she was going through own insurance “to pay for the repairs”.

Yes, but the damage to the car shown was on the side without damage directly on the front bumper so how do u rear end someone by scraping the right side of your car? I guess it would be a "side end?"
Yeah in this case it was pretty clear that he was lying. The CHP officer knew it was a lie as it was obvious what happened based on the areas of damage. Probably would have been fine even without the video, but the footage makes it 100x easier.

Reactions: Bill Foster
I agree with you. In my case, the accident was 100% the other party’s fault. I called my insurance right away — to inform them. They called the other party after I gave them the information. That’s all I did. And a couple of days later, I got a call from the other party’s insurance claim adjuster, who asked me to go into a car repair shop to get a quote - I already had done that and I didn’t even use their recommended one. I emailed them the quote, told them where to send the money and that was it. My insurance has literally nothing to do with this anymore because it was so straightforward.

In OP’s case, I thought he or she was going through own insurance “to pay for the repairs”.
Yeah I am doing the same thing. If they fight the repair costs or anything doesn't seem right I’ll come back to my insurance and get repairs done through them and have them recover my deductible from the other party.

AP doesn't consider cars in adjacent lanes blind spots:

I find that when in autopilot the m3 will not consider the cars in adjacent lanes when determining where to reside in its own lane. This is not a flaw as the system is designed to follow the car in front at a set distance regardless of what is in the adjacent lanes. However, this is not how I drive. I try to minimize the time spent in an adjacent car's blind spot. This accident reminds me of a time when this almost happened to me. AP was happily driving along directly in the blind spot of a neighboring car. Just sitting there right in the blind spot for some time.

This may or may not be related to the OPs accident but it is a good reminder for all of us to be careful in that situation. Clearly the fault is in the car who didn't see you in the blind spot but a more defensive act would be to minimize time in the blind spot. Hopefully in the future Tesla will address this by considering adjacent lanes vehicle positions.

Sorry about your accident. That sucks.

Reactions: erik_k and KenC
AP doesn't consider cars in adjacent lanes blind spots:

I find that when in autopilot the m3 will not consider the cars in adjacent lanes when determining where to reside in its own lane. This is not a flaw as the system is designed to follow the car in front at a set distance regardless of what is in the adjacent lanes. However, this is not how I drive. I try to minimize the time spent in an adjacent car's blind spot. This accident reminds me of a time when this almost happened to me. AP was happily driving along directly in the blind spot of a neighboring car. Just sitting there right in the blind spot for some time.

This may or may not be related to the OPs accident but it is a good reminder for all of us to be careful in that situation. Clearly the fault is in the car who didn't see you in the blind spot but a more defensive act would be to minimize time in the blind spot. Hopefully in the future Tesla will address this by considering adjacent lanes vehicle positions.

Sorry about your accident. That sucks.
Agreed. I too adjust my car position so that I'm not in someone's blind spot. I adjust the speed up or down to move thru a blind spot as quickly as possible. I trust my driving. I'm not sure I trust NoAP or the other driver so much.

Sorry to hear. I would definitely go to a Tesla owned body shop. Because you are in Los Angeles you have several options. I believe the Tesla owned body shop is in Van Nuys. I’m not sure if Burbank also does collision repair. See what options the app provides.
I might be out of touch with the LA area, but as far as I know, Tesla does not have any OWNED shops there. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. However, there are a few Tesla APPROVED shops.

Van Nuys is right by Los Angeles.
So Burbank SC just called to cancel and push me to an approved body shop in Burbank. They said at this time they only do smaller body repairs i.e. replacing bumper and that my work would be too extensive. He said Van Nuys would be the same and to get work done by Tesla it would need to be in their shop in Pomona. Not sure if Im willing to drive all the way out to Pomona.

Anyone have experience with All City Collision in Burbank? Or any other Tesla approved shops nearby?

So Burbank SC just called to cancel and push me to an approved body shop in Burbank. They said at this time they only do smaller body repairs i.e. replacing bumper and that my work would be too extensive. He said Van Nuys would be the same and to get work done by Tesla it would need to be in their shop in Pomona. Not sure if Im willing to drive all the way out to Pomona.

Anyone have experience with All City Collision in Burbank? Or any other Tesla approved shops nearby?
Wow, triaging Tesla repairs...

Hit up DC autocraft

That s—ks, really sorry this happened to you. But also glad you weren’t hurt.

Research authorized Tesla body shops in your area, and their reputation with the owners. I’m not sure how important it is to use them with the 3’s steel body.
Front fender is aluminum...can't be repaired, cost is $250 from Tesla, so pretty cheap. Mine's being fixed as we speak.