TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Accident on my Teslaversary

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 2krazykats, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

So the day started off great. We met some other Tesla owners at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Loveland, CO SC Supercharger - Loveland, CO
    Was coming back from that afterwards and decided to take a detour to do some grocery shopping. While waiting to turn left in the left turn lane, another car was driving towards us and drifted and plowed into the front driver side, instantly deploying the airbags for driver and passenger. it was a mess and the acrid smell from the airbags being deployed will stay with me for a long time. Fortunately, we are OK as is the other people in the other car. However, it had to be towed. I am still so angry at the senselessness of the whole thing and am grieving for my beloved Tesla. :(

We were fortunate that @MorrisonHiker and @DÆrik were in the area and were able to give us a lift home. Thanks, you guys are great people!

It's never a good time to have an accident and the senselessness of it is hard to take but it's NYE and nothing will be open until Tuesday, probably. It's a celebratory mood killer, too.

I know several people have posted about their accidents and differences in location can also contribute but I'm wondering if anyone has guesses on how long it'll take for this to get fixed (providing they don't total). I'll be driving a rental ICE in the meantime and hating every moment, I'm sure. We'll definitely be making sure they pay for diminished value but not sure there's much more I can do with this to alleviate the hassle.

The areas of damage:
    IMG_0197.JPG

My Tesla and me in happier times:
    WP_20160809_06_57_48_Pro.jpg

2. Hank42

Hank42 Member

That is a beautiful car. What a terrible thing to happen. Glad you're Ok.
    One thing I can say from experience, if it helps at all, is if you have it repaired at a Tesla certified shop, it will be better than factory condition. Tesla really makes the body shops earn their certification.

2017 will be better!

• Like x 2
  3. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

Total buzzkill. Hope you can get it back on the road soon.

• Like x 1
  4. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

@2krazykats We are always happy to help. I'm just glad you and your husband are ok. Hopefully you'll be back in the Tesla soon. So sad to see the purple Tesla injured. Easily the most recognizable Tesla in Colorado. :(

Thanks Erik

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Don't even think about not getting a Tesla certified shop to do it. Its your baby and that is why you pay for insurance. It WILL be expensive but using aforementioned will ensure your total satisfaction in getting it back the way it was in happier times. Don't buy in to the speil that any aluminum body shop can fix it. They can't! The Tesla is a unique car and requires extensive training to be proficient in returning it to like new condition.
    A lot of the time can be saved by notifying your insurance agent yesterday and following up every day. You may be able to get a rough order of magnitude from others but your timeline will be unique to your situation. I backed my X into a post back at the end of August that required total replacement of the rear hatch and spoiler. My work was finally completed the second week of December. Everything is now functioning the way it should be. I worked closely with my repair guys at Severn and Tesla to minimize down time in the shop so I could continue driving it. Total down time in the shop was just under three weeks.
    Have faith, it CAN be returned to like new condition and there WILL be happier times once again!

• Like x 1
  6. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

What a rotten way to end the year. I hope it's not long before it's fully repaired and you're back to normal. It really is a nice colour. Glad everyone is uninjured.

• Like x 1
  7. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Had a deer take on my Tesla in October and the bumper cover took the longest at almost 2 months. It was / is a national backlog apparently..hope yours is much quicker

• Informative x 1
  8. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Glad everyone is ok; and that the car can be repaired!

• Like x 1
  9. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@2krazykats Wow! I can't believe this after the fun afternoon we had in Loveland! I'm so glad to hear you both are unharmed. That is the most important thing.
    I can't blame you for being angry and frustrated... It's a beautiful car, and will be be back.

• Like x 1
  10. Ookami

Ookami Member

Love the color. Hope you're back on the road soon.

• Like x 1
  11. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Glad you're OK....hope your car can be fixed up and back on the road soon!

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  12. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

Thanks to everyone for your condolences and support. I woke up this morning hoping it had been a bad dream but alas, it's not.

The car was towed to Stuttgart in Denver which is apparently a Tesla certified body shop. They even have a Tesla promoted on their website so I'm sure she'll be in good hands. It's just a matter of how long they will take. It's more than just body damage although it doesn't look like the battery was affected which is a small blessing.

Sorry to hear about your incident @Redmiata98 and I'm glad your situation is resolved. The car isn't drive-able so unfortunately, I can only hope they can work on it quickly. We were not able to speak to their insurance company and so had to submit our claim via their website but we'll follow up on Tuesday when they are open.

I like the positive vibe/attitudes everyone is sending my way. Thanks so much for everyone's support again.

I do hope 2017 is better than last year!

• Like x 2
  13. Sandy

Sandy Member

So sorry to hear about this. Hope you get your beautiful car back as soon as possible.

Sandy

14. Cerie

Cerie Member

I was rear ended September 10th and I only just was able to drop my car off to the shop December 23rd. There was a long backorder for the grey part underneath the rear bumper cover and the repair shop has quoted me 3 weeks for repair IF they don't find damage to the aluminum part behind the rear bumper. If there is, I'm not sure how long it will be but for now I am driving an infiniti SUV rental (that I had to fight for) that I am constantly forgetting to turn off/put parking brake on and off/lock the doors.

15. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Be careful, check out my recent posts. I just had my vehicle repaired at a Tesla certified shop and it does not look good at all. Others have posted the same in reply, Tesla certified does not guarantee great work. Additionally, numerous emails to Tesla corporate has not done anything yet.

16. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Hope every one's ok! Hopefully your car will be fixed very soon!:)

17. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Ugh, so sorry to hear this but glad that everyone is ok. Here's hoping for speedy and thorough repairs.