Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident on my Teslaversary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the day started off great. We met some other Tesla owners at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Loveland, CO SC Supercharger - Loveland, CO
Was coming back from that afterwards and decided to take a detour to do some grocery shopping. While waiting to turn left in the left turn lane, another car was driving towards us and drifted and plowed into the front driver side, instantly deploying the airbags for driver and passenger. it was a mess and the acrid smell from the airbags being deployed will stay with me for a long time. Fortunately, we are OK as is the other people in the other car. However, it had to be towed. I am still so angry at the senselessness of the whole thing and am grieving for my beloved Tesla. :(

We were fortunate that @MorrisonHiker and @DÆrik were in the area and were able to give us a lift home. Thanks, you guys are great people!

It's never a good time to have an accident and the senselessness of it is hard to take but it's NYE and nothing will be open until Tuesday, probably. It's a celebratory mood killer, too.

I know several people have posted about their accidents and differences in location can also contribute but I'm wondering if anyone has guesses on how long it'll take for this to get fixed (providing they don't total). I'll be driving a rental ICE in the meantime and hating every moment, I'm sure. We'll definitely be making sure they pay for diminished value but not sure there's much more I can do with this to alleviate the hassle.

The areas of damage:
IMG_0197.JPG

My Tesla and me in happier times:
WP_20160809_06_57_48_Pro.jpg

Don't even think about not getting a Tesla certified shop to do it. Its your baby and that is why you pay for insurance. It WILL be expensive but using aforementioned will ensure your total satisfaction in getting it back the way it was in happier times. Don't buy in to the speil that any aluminum body shop can fix it. They can't! The Tesla is a unique car and requires extensive training to be proficient in returning it to like new condition.
A lot of the time can be saved by notifying your insurance agent yesterday and following up every day. You may be able to get a rough order of magnitude from others but your timeline will be unique to your situation. I backed my X into a post back at the end of August that required total replacement of the rear hatch and spoiler. My work was finally completed the second week of December. Everything is now functioning the way it should be. I worked closely with my repair guys at Severn and Tesla to minimize down time in the shop so I could continue driving it. Total down time in the shop was just under three weeks.
Have faith, it CAN be returned to like new condition and there WILL be happier times once again!

Reactions: 2krazykats
Thanks to everyone for your condolences and support. I woke up this morning hoping it had been a bad dream but alas, it's not.

The car was towed to Stuttgart in Denver which is apparently a Tesla certified body shop. They even have a Tesla promoted on their website so I'm sure she'll be in good hands. It's just a matter of how long they will take. It's more than just body damage although it doesn't look like the battery was affected which is a small blessing.

A lot of the time can be saved by notifying your insurance agent yesterday and following up every day. You may be able to get a rough order of magnitude from others but your timeline will be unique to your situation. I backed my X into a post back at the end of August that required total replacement of the rear hatch and spoiler. My work was finally completed the second week of December. Everything is now functioning the way it should be. I worked closely with my repair guys at Severn and Tesla to minimize down time in the shop so I could continue driving it. Total down time in the shop was just under three weeks.
Have faith, it CAN be returned to like new condition and there WILL be happier times once again!
Sorry to hear about your incident @Redmiata98 and I'm glad your situation is resolved. The car isn't drive-able so unfortunately, I can only hope they can work on it quickly. We were not able to speak to their insurance company and so had to submit our claim via their website but we'll follow up on Tuesday when they are open.

I like the positive vibe/attitudes everyone is sending my way. Thanks so much for everyone's support again.

I do hope 2017 is better than last year!

I was rear ended September 10th and I only just was able to drop my car off to the shop December 23rd. There was a long backorder for the grey part underneath the rear bumper cover and the repair shop has quoted me 3 weeks for repair IF they don't find damage to the aluminum part behind the rear bumper. If there is, I'm not sure how long it will be but for now I am driving an infiniti SUV rental (that I had to fight for) that I am constantly forgetting to turn off/put parking brake on and off/lock the doors.

Don't even think about not getting a Tesla certified shop to do it. Its your baby and that is why you pay for insurance. It WILL be expensive but using aforementioned will ensure your total satisfaction in getting it back the way it was in happier times. Don't buy in to the speil that any aluminum body shop can fix it. They can't! The Tesla is a unique car and requires extensive training to be proficient in returning it to like new condition.
Be careful, check out my recent posts. I just had my vehicle repaired at a Tesla certified shop and it does not look good at all. Others have posted the same in reply, Tesla certified does not guarantee great work. Additionally, numerous emails to Tesla corporate has not done anything yet.