Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident this morning. No injuries but painful damage to car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw on the Tesla forum another MS with similar damage had been appraised at 20K. The insurance then wrote the whole car off as they felt the car had been compromised.

I hope that's not my fate.

- - - Updated - - -

Rick

SO SORRY this happened - but I'm glad you and the other driver are ok...

Someone backed into my car in a parking lot when it was charging this summer ... I had front hood damage (front lip bent) and hood alignment problems as well as some damage behind the nosecone and a headlight mount broke and the headlight had to be replaced as well as the front lower facia.

Got it repaired by a Tesla Approved body shop near me in Mt. Vernon NY (J&B) and it was $32,000 !!!

My car had less visible damage than yours. I have a feeling it is going to be a lot more expensive that $10k....

Unbelievable. I'll know the cost soon enough. Seeing it, I would never have known that your car suffered that kind of damage. They did a great job.

Rick

Yes - it was perfect. They go to great lengths to match the paint! The entire front of the car was repainted even though just the front hood and lower facia were replaced. This is so there is no visible difference in the paint on the front end. Paint was so well matched that I don't see any difference between the front and the rest of the car. Their repair guys were trained at the Tesla factory.

I still thought it was way overpriced compared to other accidents I've seen here on the forums - and I even forwarded the estimate to the head of the department at Tesla that certifies repair centers and he seemed to think is was high and was going to look into it but I never heard back.

A single headlight alone is $1200 (not installed) and I believe an unpainted hood is about $800.

Aaron

Sorry about your fender bender. I suggest taking it to an approved facility though. The damage to the crash bar may indicate some structural displacement. An unaproved shop might not see this until complete disassembly and then things would get complicated. The factory monitors approved facilities for time (Less than 30 days)
, quality and customer satisfaction. However, it still pays to check on the reputation and performance of the place you ultimately decide on. Additionally, the damage appraiser will be unable to give an accurate assessment. There are no outside crash repair manuals available for the Model S. Tesla is developing their own to prevent insurance companies from dictating ersatz parts and inaccurate labor procedures. In the interim, we are using the Porsche Panamera book.
I hope you get back on the road soon.

Sorry about your fender bender. I suggest taking it to an approved facility though. The damage to the crash bar may indicate some structural displacement. An unaproved shop might not see this until complete disassembly and then things would get complicated. The factory monitors approved facilities for time (Less than 30 days)
, quality and customer satisfaction. However, it still pays to check on the reputation and performance of the place you ultimately decide on. Additionally, the damage appraiser will be unable to give an accurate assessment. There are no outside crash repair manuals available for the Model S. Tesla is developing their own to prevent insurance companies from dictating ersatz parts and inaccurate labor procedures. In the interim, we are using the Porsche Panamera book.
I hope you get back on the road soon.

Rick,

I completely agree with Scott - contact your local service center and get their approved body shop. An oval metal piece behind my nosecone had to be replaced (stress fracture). I didn't have front crash bar damage at all. A lot more can be revealed when front end is taken apart...

Aaron

I was in a fender bender this morning at a four way stop sign. Totally my fault and I feel like an idiot. It was very slow speed so there were no injuries to me or the other driver, but I'm in great pain over the damage to my wonderful car. It appears largely cosmetic but I won't know until the appraiser shows up. I can drive the car just fine but with the front bumper hanging loose that's not a good idea. Looking at the hood it does not appear to align properly so perhaps some damage to the hinges/mounts.

As the accident happened only 1/2 mile from my house I did manage to drive back home, where the wounded car is sitting.

Anyone want to guess at the cost of repairs? I'm figuring $5,000 to $10,000, likely on the high side of the range.

View attachment 38283

View attachment 38284

View attachment 38285

View attachment 38288

View attachment 38289

View attachment 38290

View attachment 38292

View attachment 38293

View attachment 38291

Lots of accident threads lately... Sorry to hear Rick! Having seen it in person I am cringing as I look at the pictures. Glad you are ok! Such a headache to fix the damage! I am going to try to be even more careful driving around now.

Rick

So sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you and the driver are okay. Hope you can get your pride and joy back to its previous prestige as quickly and easily as possible. You have given lots of us excitement and joy with all your contributions, innovations, and support and we are all pulling for you and your car..........

I'm sorry to hear this, and I agree with aaron; the repair cost will be way more than $10K. If a mounting tab on a headlight is broken they will replace the headlight at a cost of about $1,200 each. The cost for a frunk hood is about $2700.

Be careful with the appraisal. A deer ran into the side of my car, making 3 tiny dents in the front side panel (fender) between the front bumper and front door. A Geico appraiser gave an estimate of $800 to repair the fender. When the Tesla approved body shop in Annapolis looked at the car, they determined that a mounting tab on the headlight and a mounting tab on the bumper had broken, requiring replacement of the bumper and headlight. They also opted to replace the fender, saying because it is aluminum it would be hard to repair correctly. Repair cost ended up totaling $5,300. I was happy the insurance covered this under comprehensive and thus, it did not affect my rates.

Rick

So sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you and the driver are okay. Hope you can get your pride and joy back to its previous prestige as quickly and easily as possible. You have given lots of us excitement and joy with all your contributions, innovations, and support and we are all pulling for you and your car..........

Not to worry about that:) I will be undaunted.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry to hear this, and I agree with aaron; the repair cost will be way more than $10K. If a mounting tab on a headlight is broken they will replace the headlight at a cost of about $1,200 each. The cost for a frunk hood is about $2700.

Be careful with the appraisal. A deer ran into the side of my car, making 3 tiny dents in the front side panel (fender) between the front bumper and front door. A Geico appraiser gave an estimate of $800 to repair the fender. When the Tesla approved body shop in Annapolis looked at the car, they determined that a mounting tab on the headlight and a mounting tab on the bumper had broken, requiring replacement of the bumper and headlight. They also opted to replace the fender, saying because it is aluminum it would be hard to repair correctly. Repair cost ended up totaling $5,300. I was happy the insurance covered this under comprehensive and thus, it did not affect my rates.

I think we can take for granted that the Tesla approved shops will be more expensive, but not that their work will be necessarily any better.

Initially, Tesla had to seek shops with aluminum repair experience and equipment because they are the only ones that could properly repair a Model S with structural damage. The measuring, fixturing, welding and riveting must be done with specialized and very expensive equipment and training. It is true that some of these facilities being used to working on Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes can be pricey be advised that Tesla has put all their approved shops on notice that overcharging and taking to long will not be tolerated and will be removed from the program. That comes right from the top. There are qualified shops that can do excellent work that are not approved but they would be in over their heads on anything but superficial cosmetic damage on any all aluminum vehicle without the afformentioned equipment, training and factory support.
Scott Marshall
Marshall Auto Body
Certified Tesla Collision Repair
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Blue P85+

Not to worry about that I will be undaunted.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we can take for granted that the Tesla approved shops will be more expensive, but not that their work will be necessarily any better.

Initially, Tesla had to seek shops with aluminum repair experience and equipment because they are the only ones that could properly repair a Model S with structural damage. The measuring, fixturing, welding and riveting must be done with specialized and very expensive equipment and training. It is true that some of these facilities being used to working on Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes can be pricey be advised that Tesla has put all their approved shops on notice that overcharging and taking to long will not be tolerated and will be removed from the program. That comes right from the top. There are qualified shops that can do excellent work that are not approved but they would be in over their heads on anything but superficial cosmetic damage on any all aluminum vehicle without the afformentioned equipment, training and factory support.
Scott Marshall
Marshall Auto Body
Certified Tesla Collision Repair
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Blue P85+

Thanks Scott for that information. I will take that very seriously.

Your'e welcome.
I realize that people often have a low opinion of body shops in general. As an industry we could do a better job of listening to the voice of the customer.

Actually I know two body shops in my area that I very highly regard and I really hoped they could do the work. But your post and other messages I've seen has led me to conclude that Tesla, given the special skills require to work on the Model S, takes it very seriously when they certify a shop and that I should use a Tesla approved shop.