Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident this morning. No injuries but painful damage to car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I know two body shops in my area that I very highly regard and I really hoped they could do the work. But your post and other messages I've seen has led me to conclude that Tesla, given the special skills require to work on the Model S, takes it very seriously when they certify a shop and that I should use a Tesla approved shop.

I think that's smart, but don't be afraid to ask questions and check on their reputation and that they don't have a confrontational attitude towards your insurance company. They should be happy to let you see their operation as well.
You should end up with an invisible repair with everything just as it was before the mishap.
Best Wishes.

I'm up to around $15,000 for the quarter panel and cosmetic damage from the hit and run, not including the structural damage to axle, suspension, and possibly frame. I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but the Tesla-approved shop in my area already had a high reputation from its work on exotics and antiques, and has cars regularly shipped in from around the country. This is the kind of place that will charge you $20,000 to have your car repainted and take weeks of prep work, but a flawless result. I assume there are others like it that Tesla uses, so the costs are automatically a lot higher by default. Like it was mentioned, these shops will not do anything less than paint an entire panel from scratch, and do painstaking work the hard, slow way throughout. However, you would expect that with a car of this value. The unfortunate damage seen here also appears closer to the $20,000 range from what I've seen, but at least it should be quality work.

I'm up to around $15,000 for the quarter panel and cosmetic damage from the hit and run, not including the structural damage to axle, suspension, and possibly frame. I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but the Tesla-approved shop in my area already had a high reputation from its work on exotics and antiques, and has cars regularly shipped in from around the country. This is the kind of place that will charge you $20,000 to have your car repainted and take weeks of prep work, but a flawless result. I assume there are others like it that Tesla uses, so the costs are automatically a lot higher by default. Like it was mentioned, these shops will not do anything less than paint an entire panel from scratch, and do painstaking work the hard, slow way throughout. However, you would expect that with a car of this value. The unfortunate damage seen here also appears closer to the $20,000 range from what I've seen, but at least it should be quality work.

Soon your car will be back to like new condition and you can continue driving past the petrol station.

Artsci - I had the occasion to use the Tesla approved shop in Annapolis this summer. They were terrific, even sent photos of the repair along the way. Keep the faith!

Thanks, good to know. I'm going to use EuroPros in Gaithersburg. My theory is that they're closer to Rockville and will thus have faster access to necessary parts. I have to imagine both of the Tesla authorized shops do great work.

Agreed - very sorry about the accident! (and glad no one was hurt)

I certainly know the feeling as I too had a fender bender recently...mostly my fault. 5 way intersection, fast stop of the car in front of me on the far side of the intersection and I did not react fast enough. Anyway, here is my accident story for what I thought was relatively minor (but painful to look at) damage:

CarSmall.jpg

The damage was only on the front driver's side. The frunk latched and opened fine but I did notice the hood was slightly off alignment. The nose cone would definitely need replacing, but did not seem like too much was impacted behind it.

This is what happened as I went slightly "under" an old Jeep Cherokee. Notice the slight scratches to his bumper and the bent tailpipe that took out my nosecone:

TruckSmall.jpg

No one was hurt but it sure ruined my day and started a month long exercise in frustration... After exchanging info I called my insurance company (Allstate) to get the claim going. They got all the info and scheduled an appointment to get an estimate. I called Tesla to ask for a recommended body shop which they quickly stated as Bel Red Auto-rebuild. I went over there to get their estimate on the damage and was (sad but) comforted to see two other Tesla's in the parking lot also getting body repairs. After Erik looked over the damage and said it would be no problem fixing it as they get parts quickly from Tesla. My jaw then hit the floor as he said it would be about $10,000 to repair!! He said that the hood would need replacing (which I knew) but also stated that it was likely some structural aluminum frame component was bent and that Tesla has told all repair shops to do a full replacement of that part even if only minor damage.

Things got worse when I took the car in to the Allstate assessment location. The guy looked the car over, took a bunch of pictures, then told me that his system had no clue as to how much the repairs would be for this car. I told him I had an estimate from the shop which he took, made a copy of, then generated a report for me. He said he wrote down an estimate of $1 and told me to go ahead and take it to the shop and Allstate would just go off what the body shop had. Hmmm...

I should have been more questioning but figured these guys knew what they were doing and I took it to the body shop and dropped it off. I gave the body shop all the info including the Allstate claim number and was told not to worry, that they would take care of everything and it would probably take about a week and a half to finish.

That was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. After enjoying some time off with the family, I figured I would call the body shop back on the following Monday (12/2) to see if by some miracle the car was finished early - even with the holiday in there (man I was missing my car!!). After getting a hold of the body shop, Erik told me they had not yet received approval from Allstate to move forward with the repairs (much less ordering the parts from the factory) and my car had just been sitting there taken apart for a week with neither Allstate or Bel Red Auto letting me know!!

I called my Allstate rep who tracked down the issue and it turned out that two key things had happened: 1) the $10 estimate from the body shop tripped some $$ amount that required a "good" Allstate assessment person to come look at the car and 2) the guy I hit had filed a personal injury claim which caused the claim to be transferred between people and subsequently was dropped on the floor. I was MOST upset about the injury claim. OMG!! The accident was probably less than 5MPH and I stood there talking with the guy for over an hour and he made it clear there was no injury, just concern on his part of losing $$ or perhaps his job at the window cleaning company he worked for. We were all set to leave after exchanging info but he asked if we could get a police report so he could have a formal document to show work why he was not on the clock. I felt bad for him as it was mostly my fault and waited another 40 minutes for the police to come and fill out a report (oh...and give me a $120 citation for in-attentive driving!!! DOH!)

I asked if there was anything I could do to fight the injury claim but was told the cost to go to court was way more than just a $5K-$10K settlement and unfortunately this was something which happened far too often!!

I then re-focused on the fact that my car had been sitting there for over a week while I was paying $25 a day - out of pocket - for a rental car! After many apologies on both fronts, Allstate finally sent someone out to look at the car....that Thursday afternoon 12/5. On Friday 12/6 I was told that the insurance paperwork was in order and they could move forward with the repairs.

On the following Wed. 12/11, I (proactively!) got a call from the body shop with news that most of the parts had arrived, but that key structural part was on back-order but should be in by the end of the week. With that news, the estimate for getting my car back was maybe 12/20 if things went well.

So - that is a month to the day of the accident with $500 deductible and $450 in car rentals and insurance picking up $10K.

While I am grateful that I had the insurance to cover this, I am shocked at the sheer cost of repair for a very minor accident, frustrated by the inexperience with this vehicle, and greatly disappointed in my fellow humans taking advantage of the system.

Again sorry for such a long message, but I am desperately missing my car and this thread brought it all to the surface! I am also very sorry to say artsci, but like Aaron I would be shocked if the cost of repairs is less than $20K :(

Attachments

• Car.jpg
    Car.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 651
Schief, I hope I don't have your experience:) Unfortunately the fraud for personal injury in accident claims is legion, and it's often easier for the insurance companies to give in rather than battle it in the legal system. The person who's car I hit claimed no injury to me and the police. I hope that holds up.

Rick, It pains me to see your car damaged...or any Model S for that matter! My bet is it is going to be closer to $20K to fix, based on what I have seen others post to this forum. As you are well aware, the aluminum substructure is expensive to repair,a nd tesla's standards are very exacting. This means time and money, of course. Keep us posted! Jim

My car was just hauled off on a flatbed to EuroPros for the repair work to begin (or is it restoration?). Snapped some photos of my baby on the way to the car hospital:)
Hopefully you'll have it back all fixed up quick! It looks sad there on the flatbed. :frown:

I was MOST upset about the injury claim. OMG!! The accident was probably less than 5MPH and I stood there talking with the guy for over an hour and he made it clear there was no injury, just concern on his part of losing $$ or perhaps his job at the window cleaning company he worked for. We were all set to leave after exchanging info but he asked if we could get a police report so he could have a formal document to show work why he was not on the clock. I felt bad for him as it was mostly my fault and waited another 40 minutes for the police to come and fill out a report (oh...and give me a $120 citation for in-attentive driving!!! DOH!)

I asked if there was anything I could do to fight the injury claim but was told the cost to go to court was way more than just a $5K-$10K settlement and unfortunately this was something which happened far too often!!

My wife got hit in the rear at a stoplight at probably very little over 5mph (practically no damage, we just sanded and repainted the bumper cover). She was very sore the next day and about a week later she started having neck pain. She's the kind of doctor you'd go see in a situation like this and knew there was practically nothing that could be done besides prescribing an anti-inflammatory. Most symptoms go away in a few weeks or months so she never got seen officially. Now we're 6 months later and she has developed severe neck pain likely related to the accident. Now we're on the hook for the costs of any treatment.

Anyway, I won't disagree that these things commonly get trumped up, what I'm getting is that even if it was very low speed and the guy had no symptoms immediately, he still could have legitimate issues.

Hopefully you'll have it back all fixed up quick! It looks sad there on the flatbed. :frown:

My wife got hit in the rear at a stoplight at probably very little over 5mph (practically no damage, we just sanded and repainted the bumper cover). She was very sore the next day and about a week later she started having neck pain. She's the kind of doctor you'd go see in a situation like this and knew there was practically nothing that could be done besides prescribing an anti-inflammatory. Most symptoms go away in a few weeks or months so she never got seen officially. Now we're 6 months later and she has developed severe neck pain likely related to the accident. Now we're on the hook for the costs of any treatment.

Anyway, I won't disagree that these things commonly get trumped up, what I'm getting is that even if it was very low speed and the guy had no symptoms immediately, he still could have legitimate issues.

Understand that the symptoms are sometimes slow to show.

My car was just hauled off on a flatbed to EuroPros for the repair work to begin (or is it restoration?). Snapped some photos of my baby on the way to the car hospital:)

View attachment 38503

View attachment 38504

I hate being the bearer of bad news, however your car isn't secured to the flatbed as advised by Tesla. The wheel openings are NOT suppose to be used to secure the car. Here is the technique that Tesla advises in the owner's manual as well as their Roadside Assistance Guide.

Proper Transport.jpg

More of a heads up to other Tesla owners to be sure their car gets transported correctly

I hate being the bearer of bad news, however your car isn't secured to the flatbed as advised by Tesla. The wheel openings are NOT suppose to be used to secure the car. Here is the technique that Tesla advises in the owner's manual as well as their Roadside Assistance Guide.

View attachment 38513

More of a heads up to other Tesla owners to be sure their car gets transported correctly

Wonderful:mad: Although USAA arranged the pick up, the driver told me they were under contract to Tesla as well.

I confess I was initially a bit shocked by how inexpensive the Model S is to insure (just over $1000/year) given the price of the vehicle and the cost of repairs. Given Tesla's apparent policy of "replace, don't repair" when it comes to damaged parts, I imagine the insurance cost will be rising very quickly soon. :crying:

I confess I was initially a bit shocked by how inexpensive the Model S is to insure (just over $1000/year) given the price of the vehicle and the cost of repairs. Given Tesla's apparent policy of "replace, don't repair" when it comes to damaged parts, I imagine the insurance cost will be rising very quickly soon. :crying:

I've been thinking the same thing. Cheap to insure but expensive to fix can't continue and it won't be the repair costs that change.