Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident this morning. No injuries but painful damage to car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's important to remember that the property repair costs of the car is only part of the equation. If you talk with actuaries, injuries to occupants has a very large impact on total costs as hospital visits are very costly. My insurance has been renewed for it's third time now with no change in rates, which are only slightly higher than my old Honda.

Peter

I confess I was initially a bit shocked by how inexpensive the Model S is to insure (just over $1000/year) given the price of the vehicle and the cost of repairs. Given Tesla's apparent policy of "replace, don't repair" when it comes to damaged parts, I imagine the insurance cost will be rising very quickly soon. :crying:

It's important to remember that the property repair costs of the car is only part of the equation. If you talk with actuaries, injuries to occupants has a very large impact on total costs as hospital visits are very costly. My insurance has been renewed for it's third time now with no change in rates, which are only slightly higher than my old Honda.

This is a point I hadn't considered. I hope it turns out to be the case.

Sad to hear all these stories about accidents/fender benders.

Since several of you have experienced a fender bender. I wonder if you afterwards had considered the "mobileeye 560" collision warning system - do you think it would have changed anything.
I’m considering this for my MS, but I am in doubt.

Mobileye adds latest safety features to older cars | Consumer Reports - YouTube
cost approx. 1000$ installed.

Same system behind Volvo's pre-breaking system.
In an ideal world, Tesla should have offered this as a factory option - meny would have taken it, I guess.

Sad to hear all these stories about accidents/fender benders.

Since several of you have experienced a fender bender. I wonder if you afterwards had considered the "mobileeye 560" collision warning system - do you think it would have changed anything.
I’m considering this for my MS, but I am in doubt.

Mobileye adds latest safety features to older cars | Consumer Reports - YouTube
cost approx. 1000$ installed.

Same system behind Volvo's pre-breaking system.
In an ideal world, Tesla should have offered this as a factory option - meny would have taken it, I guess.

I don't think it would have helped me in my situation but I appreciate the idea.

I don't think it would have helped me in my situation but I appreciate the idea.

So sorry to hear about your accident, but then again, cars can be repaired and/or replaced, you and your loved ones can't, glad to hear that there were no injuries. That is not to say that what you have gone through doesn't hurt, the way we baby our Teslas, even a scratch hurts. Best of my wishes for you and your family during this holiday season and hope that you get your baby back from car hospital very soon.
Have you gotten the estimate yet? if yes, it might not be a bad idea to share it with your fellow Teslees, (it will at-least stop speculation around repair costs)

So sorry to hear about your accident, but then again, cars can be repaired and/or replaced, you and your loved ones can't, glad to hear that there were no injuries. That is not to say that what you have gone through doesn't hurt, the way we baby our Teslas, even a scratch hurts. Best of my wishes for you and your family during this holiday season and hope that you get your baby back from car hospital very soon.
Have you gotten the estimate yet? if yes, it might not be a bad idea to share it with your fellow Teslees, (it will at-least stop speculation around repair costs)

Thanks so much ABVA and everyone else who's posted to cheer me up. My car has been at Euro Pros in Gaithersburg, MD for almost a week now and they've kept me totally in the dark. I know nothing and I'm not happy about it. I emailed my Tesla contact about my unhappiness with Euro Pros total lack of communication. As an approved Tesla shop they should be held to much higher standards. I regret not choosing the shop in Annapolis as several here praised it. Based on my experience I would not recommend Euro Pros.

Despite all of this I'm grateful for the holidays. Good cheer to everyone on this forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much ABVA and everyone else who's posted to cheer me up. My car has been at Euro Pros in Gaithersburg, MD for almost a week now and they've kept me totally in the dark. I know nothing and I'm not happy about it. I emailed my Tesla contact about my unhappiness with Euro Pros total lack of communication. As an approved Tesla shop they should be held to much higher standards. I regret not choosing the shop in Annapolis as several here praised it. Based on my experience I would not recommend Euro Pros.

Despite all of this I'm grateful for the holidays. Good cheer to everyone on this forum!

Please don't say that his work has gone to waste. He is the one who came out with "Lighted Model S" sign. PLEASE support him through this difficult time.

Definitely not gone to waste. The T survived the accident as did everything else behind the nose cone except my EZPass transponder. The Tesla front mounted-camera is fine, as are my radar detector and laser jammers. They'll all be functional when my car comes back from the shop. Plus I'll have a new carbon fiber (real) nose cone with the new prototype lighted T, a new carbon fiber spoiler, carbon fiber side strakes, and carbon fiber front and rear valences. And the prototype front and rear camera switch the WhiteP85 has nearly finished will be ready to install. So I'll be very happy:)

It's now been 14 days since my accident and repairs have not even started. The hold up is Tesla itself, not the shop. The parts are slow coming and the holidays delay them further. I'm guessing it will be 4-5 weeks before I get my car back, and the delays will largely be the result of the slow supply of parts from Tesla. This is part of Tesla's customer service that is not yet up to standard.

Can you drive the car in the meantime? When a deer ran into the side of my car, I drove to the Annapolis MD shop, which examined the car and ordered all the parts for the repair, plus some extra parts, just in case. They said that any parts not needed can be returned to Tesla. I then left with the car and drove it for about 2 weeks while the shop waited for the parts to arrive. Once all the parts arrived, I took the car back to them for the repairs to be completed, which took 5 days.

Can you drive the car in the meantime? When a deer ran into the side of my car, I drove to the Annapolis MD shop, which examined the car and ordered all the parts for the repair, plus some extra parts, just in case. They said that any parts not needed can be returned to Tesla. I then left with the car and drove it for about 2 weeks while the shop waited for the parts to arrive. Once all the parts arrived, I took the car back to them for the repairs to be completed, which took 5 days.

It's drivable for sure but with the front bumper hanging loose it's probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Could you maybe remove the front bumper? It may look ghetto but I've seen many vehicles driving around with no front bumper covers.

The headlights are out of alignment and one is cracked -- both have to be replaced as well as a few other things that would create risk which I'd rather not take. Also some battery coolant components have to be replaced. But thanks for the suggestion. Driving a rental ICE is a constant reminder of why I bought the Tesla and will make me appreciate it all the more when I get it back.