TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

accident with cyclist in Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by EnergyEng, Nov 3, 2013.

1. EnergyEng

EnergyEng New Member

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sounded like it had more to do with a driver not paying attention than anything else.
    The area where this happened is a wide open 4 lane highway. The guy was distracted and made a huge mistake. Pretty tragic.

Edit: Sorry. It was right after the 1 goes from 4 lanes down to 2, and right before it goes back up to 3. Still, it's completely straight.
    Google Maps

3. Objective1

Objective1 Member

I'm interested to know how Model S compares to other performance cars in terms of the overall vehicular manslaughter rate of its drivers. This could be as much of an issue as the fires, and knowing if the Model S is prone to more dangerous accidents (for other people) than are comparable cars would be useful to know.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

As I said in another thread I would like a pedestrians and obstacles detection system (it works also for cyclists of course) be implemented on the Model S. Now I don't know exactly the circumstances of this accident but maybe that such a sysyem would have helped in this case.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Seriously doubt it.
    Video report: Cyclist struck and killed on Highway One | Local News - Home

Sounds like he drifted out of his lane and then over corrected.

6. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Volvo pedestrians and cyclists detection system

Here it's shown approximately hot the Volvo pedestrians and cyclists detection system works. Imo it would be a good idea to implement it also on the Model S.

Volvo-Cyclist-Detection.jpg images.jpg

Attached Files:

7. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I have a Mobileye system in my Model S that detects pedestrians and cyclists, but it would not have helped in this case. My Porsche Panamera S Hybrid has a pop-up hood system which lifts the hood (on the windshield edge) if stuck by a pedestrian. It prevents a person from hitting the windshield directly. It may have helped in this case, since the report said that the windshield was smashed.

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#8 Raffy.Roma, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    I would like to add that this system also activates the brakes automatically in case of detection of obstacles. In this case, since the accident started because the driver tried to avoid another car, IMO it would have helped because it would have stopped the car before that the driver turned the steer.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Why was he holding the phone? The car has a perfectly good bluetooth capability. And voice command dialing. Yes it is still a distraction but you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

From the description of the accident, he was fully out of control before he came anywhere near the bicycle riders. So a detection system would have no value.

10. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

You are right. In this case it was necessary to activate automatically the brakes and stop the car. The above mentioned Volvo pedestrians and obstacles detection system does it in emergency situation of this kind.

11. HVM

HVM Savolainen

#11 HVM, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Volvo system works only at city speeds, if you are at highway speed, both Porsche and Volvo systems are practically useless (for protecting pedestrians
    )...

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The guy was already up an embankment and coming back down when he hit the pedestrian. The car was completely out of control, and he was on the grass so very little traction. He probably already had the brake pedal pinned to the floor. I doubt any such system would help in this case.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

There about 700 cyclist killed by automobiles each year.
    There are approximately 51,000 injuries due to automobiles of cyclist.

This seems to be a case of driver inattention and overcorrection.
    Events like this are always a tragedy. And while I like the idea of additional safety measures built into cars, you can't blame the car for the inattention of the driver.

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

In fact IMO the Volvo obstacles detection system should be improved by integrating it with the ACC. Actually the obstacles detection system should work at all speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course. I am only saying that a pedestrians and obstacles detection system would be a good additional safety measure on the Model S.

15. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Ok the "Volvo obstacles detection system" is off topic here because it's not particularly relevant to this accident. You can discuss it in a different thread.

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Actually the car's handsfree system is so awful that I also have to hold my phone or use the speakerphone in my phone. The Model S handsfree reception, at least in my particular vehicle, is unusable. I am constantly breaking up, according to everyone who calls me.

17. Kraken

Kraken Member

The only issues I've had are when I try to talk to it like a speaker phone... People say I'm breaking up. Then, if I try and talk quieter, like I'm talking to someone in e passenger seat, it is flawless.

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Can't imagine why, there are many other vehicles that are more difficult to control on the roads.

As for the driver stepping out of the car holding his cell phone, I'd imagine that's exactly what most people would do if they just hit someone, grab the phone and call 911 as they get out of the vehicle.

19. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Anyone know if the Model S will be tested by the Euro NCAP program? The test suite includes a pedestrian safety assessment.

I expect that Tesla automobiles in general would be deadlier to people in other vehicles and more destructive to property than other cars because of their weight and powerful motors.

20. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

You could say the same thing about any heavy vehicle such as a large SUV.

Larry