Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

accident with cyclist in Santa Cruz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dtich said:
but i am hearing about FAR too many careless driving tragedies these days, and the fact that they're all (on this board) involving model s's is doubly heartbreaking.
brianman said:
The underlined part confuses me. Firstly, they're not all Model S; some are Roadsters. Secondly, those are the only type of wrecks that are directly on-topic for TMC so of course those will be the ones you see here.

yeah, that was my point. i was acknowledging that we read about a lot of tesla-related accidents because it's a tesla board, but nevertheless, it's heart-sickening. (i referred only to model s's cause that's what i read about, but i'm sure there're plenty of roadster-involved incidents, obv.) i was saying that it is terrible to read about these things so often, not wondering why they were all about teslas... on the tesla board....

Last edited:
wait, the cyclist was dead on the scene wasn't he? The driver admitted to being at fault on the scene. Yet no one filed charges or took him into custody?

I'm not saying he deserves the highest possible charge but seriously how long does it take to do something other than send him home without even a ticket for reckless driving?

"After a lengthy investigation that included cellphone analysis, vehicle computer analysis, crash-scene analysis, toxicology reports and interviews from witnesses, the evidence supports the charge of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter, as opposed to felony gross vehicular manslaughter. The difference between the two being that gross vehicular manslaughter requires a person to act in such a reckless way that creates a high risk of death."

I guess that's fair.

???

According to the initial CHP report on the crash, Jain bought the car new about 10 days before the crash. He told officers that the car had a strong, new-car smell that prompted him to use a baking soda car freshener in it.
Jain told authorities that the smell caused him to fall asleep and there were no mechanical problems with the car, according to the report.

???
According to the initial CHP report on the crash, Jain bought the car new about 10 days before the crash. He told officers that the car had a strong, new-car smell that prompted him to use a baking soda car freshener in it.
Jain told authorities that the smell caused him to fall asleep and there were no mechanical problems with the car, according to the report.

I think that's just the high paid lawyer grasping at straws to have any sort of defense other than just pleading guilty.

This is total BS. First off "new car smell" is no reason to excuse sleeping while driving. Secondly, I have asthma. When I bought my new VW Jetta in 2009, I had to drive with the window open for six months because of degassing of the plastic dashboard.

I have now driven in 7 different Model S. Oldest was one year old, youngest 4 days old. None of these smell the way cheaper synthetic plastics smell. There is too little plastic in the car. Dashboard and seats are leather, and trim is leather and wood!

What an idiot. He kills someone by sleeping at the wheel and tries to blame car company.. And even if it did smell, if he opened the window it would have taken care of small AND woken his sleepy a** up!

sorry, I don't usually post negative angry messages, but a bicyclist died, and a driver is looking to blame someone else, this is just too sad.

Tuesday, an attorney for Alper's family also filed a civil suit against Jain for negligence. The suit -- which also names Palo Alto-based Tesla Motor Co. -- alleges that Jain carelessly and negligently drove into Alper. It also contends that the Tesla in the crash was "defective and unreasonably dangerous when used in a normal, intended and foreseeable manner," according to the lawsuit.
:confused:

But he admitted to driving while sleepy. He is just saying the car made him sleepy. Why would Tesla be at fault for that? It just makes no sense.

It is a tragedy, but to add insult by passing off blame is shameful.

Not that I buy the new car smell causing sleepiness, even if it was true that the new car smell made him sleepy. If it was true and he knew it ahead of time; why didn't he just roll down the windows to dilute the smell?

The story smells fishy. :rolleyes: