Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidental auto pilot and fsd nonrefundable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid mistake, i received an email stating I could buy fsd for my m3 for $3000. Very excited, go to my acct and hit purchase and I see they’re charging me $6000 for auto pilot and 3000 for fsd. I immediately started trying to contact Tesla in a full panic. Sent 1-2 emails every day since and today, 5 days later I get an email saying, sorry, all sales are final. I will contest this through my credit card but don’t know what other steps to take. Can they do this? I def can’t afford it. Is there any way to contact a real person to plead my case?

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
The same thing happened to me earlier this year.
Bought FSD for $3k by accident while playing on the website. Immediately called Tesla. I explained the situation, etc, it had only been about 15mins since the purchase of FSD. They told me there was nothing they could do. All sales final etc etc. I called back and got the same story. I emailed and got the same story. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me and I understand how you feel.

I know how you feel since it happened to me as well. I checked out the upgrade price last Friday night and must have accidentally tapped on the purchase button on my phone screen. Immediately closed the browser window but it was too late . Got a nonsensical response from Tesla that refunds weren’t possible since FSD was now tied to the value of the car. My Robo-taxi better work hard next year... /s

Tesla is getting absolutely ridiculous with their policies.

First off they're the ones that sent the email telling people it was $3K so why wasn't it $3K? The email should have only gone out to people with EAP who were eligible to upgrade to FSD for $3K.

Secondly it's so easy to accidentally click buy that there needs to be an easy way to cancel it within 24-48 hours. In fact when I ordered my Model S back in 2015 they had a period of 3+ days after placing the deposit where you could easily get the money back.

I can't think of anyone other reputable company not having a way to do a refund on an accidental purchase of a significant amount.

Tesla is also screwing up charging people idle fees at valet superchargers. Like they expect a person to come back to move their car at a Valet. Or the valet's to be really good about moving cars.

There is no one in charge except Elon, but getting Elon to fix something is basically a twitter lottery.

It used to be well known who to contact at Tesla to have issues like this straightened out, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I can't even remember the last time I read a TMC message that said "Oh, you should email so and so at Tesla". Instead its multiple messages that basically say "you're screwed".

They can't even seem to deliver on promises like I still don't have my badge or my spoiler, and I took delivery of my P3D last September. So it's an entire year, and multiple messages back and forth about it.

There is no one in charge except Elon, but getting Elon to fix something is basically a twitter lottery.

It used to be well known who to contact at Tesla to have issues like this straightened out, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

No one man can run an entire company of this magnitude. Musk’s inability to hire, incentivize, and retain others in key positions in the corporate structure is really becoming a problem. Massive turnover and constant retooling of entire departments can only yield the conclusion that Musk is a visionary but a poor manager of people and logistics.

But they have delivered part of FSD for him NoA and Summon at least right? And they were upfront about FSD not being available yet, so I'm not sure that is a valid claim.
It’s a corner case. But as we are talking about $3000/$6000/$9000 and not a trivial amount, the threshold for “goods delivered” should be higher. I’d take that to small claims if it was the $3000 mishap and the credit card company is not honoring my complaint. If the judge isn’t a Tesla fanboi, Tesla pulling that BS should be a slam dunk.. I’d sue Tesla if I was out $9000 based on the described situation.

Dispute this charge with your Credit Card Company.

There are plenty of tweets out there that prove that Tesla doesn’t deliver FSD. So it’s a case of goods not delivered.
I would file a dispute, but not on the basis of not delivering FSD. I would dispute it on the basis of the email giving one pricing, but the web page giving something very different, and one accidental click completing the purchase.

Reactions: dbldwn02 and tomas
Tesla sure is quick to remove unlimited supercharging "for the life of the car" though... No "tied to the car's value" there........
Right, it's not as if a hardware upgrade was involved. The features could be removed (as when they were added) simply via an OTA update. They certainly were able to do that when I let my EAP trial lapse without ordering.

I would file a dispute, but not on the basis of not delivering FSD. I would dispute it on the basis of the email giving one pricing, but the web page giving something very different, and one accidental click completing the purchase.

Can't one simply file a dispute on accidental ordering?

I have to imagine that in this day and age of one-click ordering, apple pay, cell phones, badly designed interfaces, etc that a small amount of online orders are accidental.

Reactions: croman
Can't one simply file a dispute on accidental ordering?

I have to imagine that in this day and age of one-click ordering, apple pay, cell phones, badly designed interfaces, etc that a small amount of online orders are accidental.

Called the CC company immediately after ordering and explained what happened but they said they couldn’t do anything for me since the transaction went through already. They gave me Tesla’s telephone number instead.

Stupid mistake, i received an email stating I could buy fsd for my m3 for $3000. Very excited, go to my acct and hit purchase and I see they’re charging me $6000 for auto pilot and 3000 for fsd. I immediately started trying to contact Tesla in a full panic. Sent 1-2 emails every day since and today, 5 days later I get an email saying, sorry, all sales are final. I will contest this through my credit card but don’t know what other steps to take. Can they do this? I def can’t afford it. Is there any way to contact a real person to plead my case?
I hate bait emails .....

Called the CC company immediately after ordering and explained what happened but they said they couldn’t do anything for me since the transaction went through already. They gave me Tesla’s telephone number instead.
Did they reject a filed dispute, or simply refuse to let you file one? If it was just the CSR on the phone saying no, I'd try again. It may be that this isn't eligible for a chargeback, but I'd want to at least file the dispute and have it properly considered before accepting that it isn't.

Did they reject a filed dispute, or simply refuse to let you file one? If it was just the CSR on the phone saying no, I'd try again. It may be that this isn't eligible for a chargeback, but I'd want to at least file the dispute and have it properly considered before accepting that it isn't.
I only asked them to reverse it but didn’t file a formal dispute. Thanks for the suggestion!