Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidental disconnect wouldn't let me finish charging to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to "high usage" Tesla lowered my charge limit from 90% to 80%, so I set it back to 90% and went shopping. When I thought the app showed 90%, I walked back to disconnect; but I misread the 80%. I didn't know because I just unplugged my car upon arrival; when I opened the door, I saw it was really at 83%. So I re-plugged & re-set the limit to 90% two seconds before electrons started to flow. Then my car changed my limit down to 80% (stating "high-usage" despite 2 available chargers), which was lower than my 83% SOC, so my car disconnected. Did all that twice. During that time, I never moved my car. Drivers in this case should be allowed to continue their original charging to 90%. There were 2 available chargers. Nobody with an 80% SOC goes to a Supercharger, so that line of code (if SOC > 80% then disconnect) should be removed; or at least add more logic to it: 1) is there at least 1 available charger? 2) are there Teslas with SOC < 35% waiting nearby? Tesla knows the answers to those, so please improve this inconvenience. Thanks!

Due to "high usage" Tesla lowered my charge limit from 90% to 80%, so I set it back to 90% and went shopping. When I thought the app showed 90%, I walked back to disconnect; but I misread the 80%. I didn't know because I just unplugged my car upon arrival; when I opened the door, I saw it was really at 83%. So I re-plugged & re-set the limit to 90% two seconds before electrons started to flow. Then my car changed my limit down to 80% (stating "high-usage" despite 2 available chargers), which was lower than my 83% SOC, so my car disconnected. Did all that twice. During that time, I never moved my car. Drivers in this case should be allowed to continue their original charging to 90%. There were 2 available chargers. Nobody with an 80% SOC goes to a Supercharger, so that line of code (if SOC > 80% then disconnect) should be removed; or at least add more logic to it: 1) is there at least 1 available charger? 2) are there Teslas with SOC < 35% waiting nearby? Tesla knows the answers to those, so please improve this inconvenience. Thanks!

Welcome to TMC! Just so you're aware, this forum is completely independent of Tesla, Inc., so there is absolutely no guarantee that anyone from Tesla will ever see your request / suggestion.

That being said...I personally haven't seen this behavior (of not letting you reset the charge limit at "high usage" Superchargers). It sounds pretty annoying. At least one or two other people have reported something similar in the past half year or so.

Bruce.

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
This happened to me last summer, I saw the same message with the 80% SoC limitation, although there were 1 or 2 available chargers.
I really needed that 10% to reach 90 so when I got back to the car, I unplugged it, sat the limit to 90% again, waited a bit and replugged. It did the trick with the same 1 or 2 chargers available.
Maybe the SC status is not "pinged" often enough by Tesla servers so when I arrived, the SC station was considered full even though there were slots available, thus the 80% limitation.

I can see Tesla's logic for this. Just because there are one or two open chargers doesn't mean that three tesla's won't come by and want to charge. The first one or two will get a spot, while the third will be left twisting in the wind because of your mostly-charged car. Tesla can't track every car waiting or expecting to go charge at that Supercharger. They can certainly have an understanding that N cars are currently inbound to that charger with it as a preconditioning destination, and ma

I can see Tesla's logic for this. Just because there are one or two open chargers doesn't mean that three tesla's won't come by and want to charge.
Additionally, the definition of "busy" is 50% occupied (at least at V2 Superchargers--I don't know if the same applies at V3 Superchargers). Why so low? Because of the charge sharing that happens at pre-V3 Superchargers. When you are charging at one of these Superchargers, you are likely reducing the charge rate of your shared charging partner. Now if you really need the extra charge, then fine--it can be overridden--but many times you don't, and the policy is there to encourage people to move along, even with some open pedestals.

I'm not positive, but if you have a further destination set and this is just a charging stop (and not your final destination), won't the car automatically allow the necessary amount of charge in order to reach the next charging stop/destination? If so, this is probably the best solution as Tesla will make it easy to override when necessary, but makes people jump through a few hoops to make sure they are not abusing the system.